• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zagster318
    Kennel Club Alum
    • Feb 2007

Did Sacre get hurt?

Didn't get to see the game, but I saw he only played 20mins and 3 fouls. What gives?
    "Fall is my favorite season in Los Angeles, watching the birds change color and fall from the trees."- David Letterman
  • JosephZags
    Kennel Club Material
    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by zagster318 View Post
    Didn't get to see the game, but I saw he only played 20mins and 3 fouls. What gives?
    I don't think he got hurt. But he was having a rough game, so Few substituted him out quite a bit, especially with Harris playing so well.

Comment

• GU69
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

It just wasn't his night.

He'll be there Saturday.

Comment

• zagster318
        Kennel Club Alum
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JosephZags View Post
        I don't think he got hurt. But he was having a rough game, so Few substituted him out quite a bit, especially with Harris playing so well.
        Ok, that's good to know. Thanks.
        "Fall is my favorite season in Los Angeles, watching the birds change color and fall from the trees."- David Letterman

Comment

• 1973Zag
          Kennel Club
          • Feb 2007

RS found out he is not superman tonight. I'm sure he will come back strong.

Comment

• gamagin
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

RS was triple teamed

and never really got into his usual mojo. He was frustrated, he dropped his arms and lowered the ball too often and he was basically harassed underneath every second.

What he shoud have done was drive to the net and dare his taunters to try and stop him. Instead he tended to get flustered and was too often stripped.

Casto, who has the wingspan of a 747 did alot to make RS's night difficult. However, RS himself didn't quite adjust this time. I believe its lesson learned. There were also difficult matchups with Meech and GJ.

Their opposites had their kind of quickness and were also willing to shoot. Our guards were not shooting at all. so wsu backed up from them and doubled up on our others -- until we went to the big lineup. then things changed. for the better.

helluva game.

Go TEAM ZAGS !
            Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
            Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
            Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• krozman
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2008

Honestly I wasn't sure if Sacre's play was funky, or that the guards just couldn't get it inside to him. Passing was pretty strange. But ya, Harris def. picked up the slack.
              Krozman
              GU student 1996-2000
              Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
                Zag for Life
                • Mar 2009

not unless your hands turning to bricks is an injury...

But I love you Rob.

Seriously, not sure what was going on there. One of the best things a big man can be is a soft-handed, level-headed PASSER. You get two guys on you, there is a dagger thrower open somewhere.... that's where he needs to concentrate.

I think he opens up with Wake coming though, he is due.

Comment

• adoptedzag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

imo, they just put 5 guys dedicated to stop the entry pass. Needed to be able to drain some 3s in the beginning of the game to loosen up the compact middle.

Comment

• ZagSlug
                    Bleeds GU Blue
                    • Feb 2007

When Sacre came out it really seemed to open up things in the middle. They were doubling him quite a bit and it clogged up the lane. Just one of those weird match up things. At least there is enough flexibility on the bench to change things up and give teams a different look
                    sigpic
                    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• CDC84
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

WSU's game plan was to take Sacre out of the game, and GU's guards kept trying to fit a round peg in a square hole in their attempts to get Rob involved. It was a disaster. Few's solution was get Rob out of there and put out a lineup of skilled players that WSU didn't have a game plan for. The strategy worked.

The starting lineup needs to do a better job of recognizing how the defense is trying to put too much emphasis on this or that guy, and then punish them for doing so. Coaches are trying to figure out ways of disabling the Zags offense by shutting down certain players.

Comment

• gamagin
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

about SG, RS & others

someone at the game quoted Few as saying the team had a "Maui hangover" coming into this one.

maybe that explains how they too often looked like they were dancing "you light up my life" when, clearly, WSU was moving to a take from our Bomb Squad. Which is to say, hectic, gyrating hustling and hungry.

Until we decided to take this game back and keep it.

Go TEAM Zags !
                        Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                        Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                        Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2008

Hope RS isn't hurt. Casto looked like the better big man all around tonight. Can't afford many games like RS had tonight.
                          "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• ronh_pm
                            Professional Zag Fan
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                            WSU's game plan was to take Sacre out of the game, and GU's guards kept trying to fit a round peg in a square hole in their attempts to get Rob involved. It was a disaster. Few's solution was get Rob out of there and put out a lineup of skilled players that WSU didn't have a game plan for. The strategy worked.

The starting lineup needs to do a better job of recognizing how the defense is trying to put too much emphasis on this or that guy, and then punish them for doing so. Coaches are trying to figure out ways of disabling the Zags offense by shutting down certain players.
                            +1

The paint never had less that 2 red shirts and often 3 in the first half but the offense still was reevolving around moving the ball inside.

When they became more versitile in the 2nd half it opened up the inside for Harris. Very nice adjustment by Few, but the guards should have been able to see it each time down the court

Comment

• Section 116
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Coach Giacoletti also mentioned the "Maui Hangover" on the post game radio show with Hudson and Fox. Also spoke highly of Harris, of course. I wish I had been home when I listened so I could have taken some notes but I was listening as I was driving home. He did mention the crowd as being a big help, especially as the Zags began to make their move in the second half. Frankly we didn't have a lot to cheer about in the first half but things got better, did they not?

Comment

Working...
                              X