PDA

View Full Version : Did Sacre get hurt?

zagster318
12-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Didn't get to see the game, but I saw he only played 20mins and 3 fouls. What gives?

JosephZags
12-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Didn't get to see the game, but I saw he only played 20mins and 3 fouls. What gives?

I don't think he got hurt. But he was having a rough game, so Few substituted him out quite a bit, especially with Harris playing so well.

GU69
12-02-2009, 07:35 PM
It just wasn't his night.

He'll be there Saturday.

zagster318
12-02-2009, 07:36 PM
I don't think he got hurt. But he was having a rough game, so Few substituted him out quite a bit, especially with Harris playing so well.

Ok, that's good to know. Thanks. :)

1973Zag
12-02-2009, 07:42 PM
RS found out he is not superman tonight. I'm sure he will come back strong.

gamagin
12-02-2009, 07:47 PM
and never really got into his usual mojo. He was frustrated, he dropped his arms and lowered the ball too often and he was basically harassed underneath every second.

What he shoud have done was drive to the net and dare his taunters to try and stop him. Instead he tended to get flustered and was too often stripped.

Casto, who has the wingspan of a 747 did alot to make RS's night difficult. However, RS himself didn't quite adjust this time. I believe its lesson learned. There were also difficult matchups with Meech and GJ.

Their opposites had their kind of quickness and were also willing to shoot. Our guards were not shooting at all. so wsu backed up from them and doubled up on our others -- until we went to the big lineup. then things changed. for the better.

helluva game.

Go TEAM ZAGS !

krozman
12-02-2009, 07:53 PM
Honestly I wasn't sure if Sacre's play was funky, or that the guards just couldn't get it inside to him. Passing was pretty strange. But ya, Harris def. picked up the slack.

U Zig, I Zag
12-02-2009, 07:56 PM
But I love you Rob.

Seriously, not sure what was going on there. One of the best things a big man can be is a soft-handed, level-headed PASSER. You get two guys on you, there is a dagger thrower open somewhere.... that's where he needs to concentrate.

I think he opens up with Wake coming though, he is due.

adoptedzag
12-02-2009, 07:56 PM
imo, they just put 5 guys dedicated to stop the entry pass. Needed to be able to drain some 3s in the beginning of the game to loosen up the compact middle.

ZagSlug
12-02-2009, 07:57 PM
When Sacre came out it really seemed to open up things in the middle. They were doubling him quite a bit and it clogged up the lane. Just one of those weird match up things. At least there is enough flexibility on the bench to change things up and give teams a different look

CDC84
12-02-2009, 08:04 PM
WSU's game plan was to take Sacre out of the game, and GU's guards kept trying to fit a round peg in a square hole in their attempts to get Rob involved. It was a disaster. Few's solution was get Rob out of there and put out a lineup of skilled players that WSU didn't have a game plan for. The strategy worked.

The starting lineup needs to do a better job of recognizing how the defense is trying to put too much emphasis on this or that guy, and then punish them for doing so. Coaches are trying to figure out ways of disabling the Zags offense by shutting down certain players.

gamagin
12-02-2009, 08:04 PM
someone at the game quoted Few as saying the team had a "Maui hangover" coming into this one.

maybe that explains how they too often looked like they were dancing "you light up my life" when, clearly, WSU was moving to a take from our Bomb Squad. Which is to say, hectic, gyrating hustling and hungry.

Until we decided to take this game back and keep it.

Go TEAM Zags !

ZagLawGrad
12-02-2009, 08:20 PM
Hope RS isn't hurt. Casto looked like the better big man all around tonight. Can't afford many games like RS had tonight.

ronh_pm
12-02-2009, 08:23 PM
WSU's game plan was to take Sacre out of the game, and GU's guards kept trying to fit a round peg in a square hole in their attempts to get Rob involved. It was a disaster. Few's solution was get Rob out of there and put out a lineup of skilled players that WSU didn't have a game plan for. The strategy worked.

The starting lineup needs to do a better job of recognizing how the defense is trying to put too much emphasis on this or that guy, and then punish them for doing so. Coaches are trying to figure out ways of disabling the Zags offense by shutting down certain players.

+1

The paint never had less that 2 red shirts and often 3 in the first half but the offense still was reevolving around moving the ball inside.

When they became more versitile in the 2nd half it opened up the inside for Harris. Very nice adjustment by Few, but the guards should have been able to see it each time down the court

Section 116
12-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Coach Giacoletti also mentioned the "Maui Hangover" on the post game radio show with Hudson and Fox. Also spoke highly of Harris, of course. I wish I had been home when I listened so I could have taken some notes but I was listening as I was driving home. He did mention the crowd as being a big help, especially as the Zags began to make their move in the second half. Frankly we didn't have a lot to cheer about in the first half but things got better, did they not?

roxdoc
12-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Taking Rob out and putting the versitile Kelly O in really messed with the WSU game plan. If our opponents want to double/triple team Rob then they are going to have to deal with a much different look with Kelly. As Kelly improves, this variety of our inside game should drive defenses crazy.

surfmonkey89
12-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Sacre and to a lesser degree Harris need to recognize and pass out of the double/triple team.

Gotta make the other team pay for not covering your shooters.

Timeout!
12-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Sacre and to a lesser degree Harris need to recognize and pass out of the double/triple team.

Gotta make the other team pay for not covering your shooters.

Couldn't agree more. Actually, I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned earlier as he had the same issue in Maui. For example, there were numerous instances in the 1st half where Sacre was double, even triple teamed and couldn't pass the ball to the open player underneath the hoop. Rob was caught looking before acting and allowed the defenders too much time to get their hands on the ball. Once he feels/recognizes the pressure, he needs to get the ball up and out to the open man. Rob wasted at least four opportunites for easy buckets when he could have passed to Bouldin, Harris, and even Kelly for gimme's in the paint. This MUST improve and he needs to capitalize on these freeby opportunities to score. It'll come in time...

hoopster777
12-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Taking Rob out and putting the versitile Kelly O in really messed with the WSU game plan. If our opponents want to double/triple team Rob then they are going to have to deal with a much different look with Kelly. As Kelly improves, this variety of our inside game should drive defenses crazy.

I have to think this was the reason Sacre didn't play, Olynyk was just playing so well in the game and spread the offense out.

Wake Forest is very tough on the frontcourt though with Aminu and McFarland so I don't expect Sacre to see limited time. We'll need him on his A+ game for that matchup.

surfmonkey89
12-02-2009, 09:14 PM
I was in Maui with ZigZagger, and during the first half against Colorado I mentioned that it looked like they had an extra guy out there.

Then, when the second half started, I realized the problem: they were leaving Meech literally unguarded. I mean, I can't emphasize this enough - there was no one on him whatsoever. Like, within 10ft. Clearly the coaches got through to him and he progressed as the tournament went on.

I didn't remember to check tonight's game - does anyone remember noticing anything like this?

WallaWallaZag
12-02-2009, 10:45 PM
meech being a lack of a threat was a problem...but the zags were also doing too much standing around in the first half as well. zags really need to work on passing out of double teams, both inside and on the perimeter...you've got to make teams pay for this strategy.

Robzagnut
12-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Casto happened to him.

That guy is a beast. He's like a Pendo with 4 extra inches and a long wingspan. Reminds me of Rodman. Gets the tough rebounds, plays awesome defense, but has little offensive skills.

Too bad he also had Rodman type baggage and GU passed on him.

vandalzag
12-03-2009, 05:49 AM
Casto played good. But it was the double team that hurt Rob. He rarely got a one one one with Casto. A good example of Rob's lack of experience. He will have to learn how to pass out of the double. That being said the passes to the post were bad and the guards will have to adjust, everything about the post feed was off including the spacing between the guards and post. The need for a scoring threat at the point and/or a weaside 3 point threat on the weak side was never more apparent than in the first half last night.
Great adjustment by the coaches and players in the 2nd half.
No worries about Rob this is just part of the learning process.

Hoopaholic
12-03-2009, 06:02 AM
coaching decision is what occured in my opinion. It was clear that WSu was playing triangle zone in the paint to stop or slow down our "block" game. So instead of "fighting" this zone which is what Sacre's game style would do (plays well with back to basket, pro-typical post player), it was very apparent to me coaches decided to go with OLY who plays "facing" the basket and is comfortable out of the wings, thus "extending" the middle triangle zone. You will notice that at the same time they "removed" Harris from playing with his back to basket and moved him out to the wing to play "face up to the basket".

This was the difference in the game...coupled with what I thought was a poor coaching move by Coach Bone.....when Casto picked up his fourth foul with about 8 minutes to go in game we were down by 8 or so...he pulled Casto AND Thompson at the same time. Said out loud at the time that was a poor coaching move and sure enough Zags made the run and by the time he got THompson back off the bench (less than 2 minutes) we had pulled within couple points but more importantly the MO had gone to our side

FuManShoes
12-03-2009, 06:13 AM
Too bad he also had Rodman type baggage and GU passed on him.

Casto married himself in a wedding dress, skipped out on a $5,000 bar tab, serviced Madonna, wrestled Hulk Hogan, appeared on a reality show and got hitched to Carmen Electra for 10 days? I'll take that baggage anyday.

titopoet
12-03-2009, 07:15 AM
WSU made a choice to take away the post, Few saw this and made a choice to kill them with slashing and outside daggers. A game that will help Rob in the long run, as if a team tries to do this again, Few has a way of making them pay, earlier. If Rob improves his midrange game (his next step in his development) he will be unstoppable.

He and Harris still have to work on interior passing and communication. If they can continue to work together, they have a chance to be the best frontcourt duo in the country.

bartruff1
12-03-2009, 07:50 AM
Honestly I wasn't sure if Sacre's play was funky, or that the guards just couldn't get it inside to him. Passing was pretty strange. But ya, Harris def. picked up the slack. Bone is a very good coach ..... it is very difficult to get the ball into the post from the top of the key especially the way WSU was packing it in....I am certainly no expert.... but I think that the reason both Sacre and Harris were shut down in the first half was caused at least in part by the poor passing....the passing was much better (GG and MB) in the second half and both KO and Harris were getting the ball where they could score ...I suspect that many of Rob's turn overs were the result of the guards forcing the ball into a crowd .... Matt just refused to lose...

Jedster
12-03-2009, 08:45 AM
From Vince's Spokesman Review blog regarding the inside game:

"To defend the post, where the Zags had an obvious size – and depth – advantage, the Cougars doubled quickly, something they’ve done well the past three years. That also worked, disrupting the GU inside game. But the Bulldogs adjusted, getting away from on-ball screens and post play, going smaller with Kelly Olynyk instead of Robert Sacre and switching to more of a motion in the late first half and the second. For a while WSU handled it. But as the Zags wore them down, the Cougars started to lag, slow on getting through screens, slow on help and slow on rotations. And you can’t defend GU with slow. …"

I love that..."you can't defend GU with slow..."! It is nice to see the staff and the team make adjustments during the game based on what the other team does. It's one thing to talk about the adjustments, but to implement them is big. I like that GU is versatile enough to play it different ways (as we've seen in Maui and last night), and handle this switch in game. This will be big as the season progresses. This is especially exciting when you consider how young the team is. They sure have taken great strides in such a short amount of time...much more than I thought they'd be able to do!