PDA

View Full Version : Olynyk = Glue Guy

BilboZaggins
12-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Love his game. Nothing spectacular. But he's a catalyst that plays smart. He was key tonight.

whatazag
12-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Tonight was a little bit of a coming out for both Olynyk and Gibbs as guys who can come off the bench and be counted on in the clutch. Not saying they are going to be superstars tomorrow, but can definitely provide some relief to the starters when called upon.

drnoe
12-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Olynk and Gibbs both played vital roles tonight. Very interesting lineup that Few had confidence in tonight, and it worked. Gray didn't have it on offense, but he was a stopper. Sacre wasn't feeling it tonight as Wazzu really clogged the middle. Bouldin and Harris were huge. The more minutes these young guys get, the more we're going to be amazed.

fedwayzag
12-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Really liked kelly's game tonight. Very clutch. It has been mentioned before but he is not afraid to go rebound with the big boys.

roxdoc
12-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Tonight should put a stop to the few who have complained about Kelly. Few has had the courage to give him extra minutes to build his experience and tonight his growth really showed. The board will be filled with praise for our stars tonight (fully deserved) but I am glad that Kelly gets his own thread. My one complaint about him was his trying to tip the ball instead of rebounding it which he was guilty of repeatedly in the first half. Brought back bad memories of some of Josh's habits. Second half he began to use both hands with success.

GO KELLY - great game!!!

WallaWallaZag
12-02-2009, 08:04 PM
kelly played great and tough, but big rob really needs to learn how to play better in a game like this...i have a feeling he's going to be seeing a lot of sagging defense and double teams from now on so he needs to learn to deal with it and not get frustrated and taken out of the game.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-02-2009, 08:05 PM
I think Kelly is more skilled offensively than your traditional "glue guys." Let's call him Super Glue.

GonzagaLove
12-02-2009, 08:08 PM
I agree Bilbo. I have been very impressed with KO all year. Many others on this board haven't been as impressed, but I think we are all seeing the light. The kid is going to be a star.

gamagin
12-02-2009, 08:16 PM
KO & Gibbs changed the makup and basically took WSU out of their game and gameplan. they had done a pretty good job of containing Meech and GJ.

But when these two skilled, much taller, scrappy guys showed up, their little, quick guys lost their open looks on one end and were too small to tie them up on the inbounds or the fight to midcourt.

KO got away from as many as three of these gnats several times due to his high bkb IQ and quickness. Gibbs did his part, too, to stifle just enough of their long distance game and we took back underneath while Elias and Matt took over most of the scoring.

game, set, match.

gueastcoast
12-02-2009, 08:19 PM
I saw some Pendo in KO tonight...loved it

chirguy
12-02-2009, 08:21 PM
I thought Kelly played very well. I like his hustle. He has the skills of a guard.

Ziggy
12-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Gee, I'd have thought that we'd have seen mal in this thread already, telling us about stickin' to her guns on Kelly's low quality game and all (ad infinitum, ad nauseum). Nope, not here...yet!

Great game Kelly, Double digits and valuable, savvy play. Go Zags!!!!

john montana
12-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Love him. Just great savvy and toughness. Watching him develop will be a blast!

bballbeachbum
12-02-2009, 08:34 PM
I think Kelly is more skilled offensively than your traditional "glue guys." Let's call him Super Glue.

:lmao: :lmao:

happy for Kelly of course, and off the top of my head, his play when trapped in the corner to free a lane to pass was awesome...just get off of me stuff

the young bench was called upon and delivered...so cool

Bocco
12-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Gee, I'd have thought that we'd have seen mal in this thread already, telling us about stickin' to her guns on Kelly's low quality game and all (ad infinitum, ad nauseum). Nope, not here...yet!

Great game Kelly, Double digits and valuable, savvy play. Go Zags!!!!

Perhaps Kelly's game tonite will put to rest the we need to pull Dower's redshirt. He played a great game.

GUDan07
12-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Every game I watch I am amazed by what this goofy looking Canadian kid is doing out there. I love the Pendo comparisons, but I think he has a lot more skill on the offensive end to say nothing of his hight. The kid has a ton of heart and is going to be a player for this team for a while.

ronh_pm
12-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Confidence is a wonderful thing. I can tell he is starting to feel like he belongs in D1. He is getting a wee bit of the swagger that he played with last year as he learns his role with the Zags.

NEC26
12-02-2009, 08:45 PM
I too thought he played great tonight you can see him gaining confidence and really bringing it every game.

OZZY
12-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Great game by KO tonight! Let me asure you that KO has been a basketball player since practically the day he was born! He has had great guidance and coaching by both his dad and others. The results speak for themselves, by the end of his Zag career people will say that there was never anyone quite like him. Just wait till he starts hitting his shots!

seasontixholder
12-02-2009, 09:05 PM
There will be games where KO fits better than others. This was one tonight. Against hulks, he is immature yet. But against smart teams with lesser athletes, he is a tough matchup for them. He's a 6-11 guard with quick recognition - and fearless. Give him another month and he will seem like a vet.

Ezag
12-02-2009, 09:07 PM
He looks sloppy and floppy but plays with smarts

CDC84
12-02-2009, 09:29 PM
How about that pick that Olynyk laid on Capers late in the game to free up Bouldin who was being harassed bringing the ball up. That wasn't by design. Kelly saw a need and made a play.

That's why Few likes him and plays him.

One of the best moments in the game was late in the 2nd half when both Harris and Olynyk tied each other up pursuing an offensive rebound. Kelly was hanging his head a bit going back on defense, and Harris went out of his way to pat him on the shoulder. It's remarkable how mature some of these freshmen are.

TheZagPhish
12-02-2009, 09:48 PM
One of the best moments in the game was late in the 2nd half when both Harris and Olynyk tied each other up pursuing an offensive rebound. Kelly was hanging his head a bit going back on defense, and Harris went out of his way to pat him on the shoulder. It's remarkable how mature some of these freshmen are.

Saw that too and was equally impressed.

KO's got talent, tools and a hardhat.

RenoZag
12-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Great game by KO tonight! Let me asure you that KO has been a basketball player since practically the day he was born! He has had great guidance and coaching by both his dad and others. The results speak for themselves, by the end of his Zag career people will say that there was never anyone quite like him. Just wait till he starts hitting his shots!

Hope you're right, Ozz.

FuManShoes
12-02-2009, 10:02 PM
How about that pick that Olynyk laid on Capers late in the game to free up Bouldin who was being harassed bringing the ball up. That wasn't by design. Kelly saw a need and made a play.

Funny, you don't see many people here calling Kelly a thug for that play when it's the exact same thing a Cincy guy got skewered for. As I said then, that's just hard-nosed ball, not thuggery.

maynard g krebs
12-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Funny, you don't see many people here calling Kelly a thug for that play when it's the exact same thing a Cincy guy got skewered for. As I said then, that's just hard-nosed ball, not thuggery.

BS. That was a clean pick. He didn't clothesline him or anything else, just set himself solid and took the contact. Capers ran into him. It's his teammates' responsibility to call out the pick. Bad comparison.

maynard g krebs
12-02-2009, 10:56 PM
It was great to hear Ehlo repeatedly praising KO's game.

webspinnre
12-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Again, a bit of tale of two halves here. In the first half Kelly looked lost at times. Down the stretch, Kelly was absolutely huge.

Ziggy
12-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Still no sign of Mal. Lurking no doubt and not willing to eat crow. :D

Nevtelen
12-03-2009, 12:21 AM

Agreed.

Saxon_zag
12-03-2009, 12:34 AM

EXACTLY!!!

oh except for the part that kelly didn't clothes line the guy and get called for a foul.. and then stand over capers glaring at him... now that would be thuggish!

zagfan24
12-03-2009, 03:36 AM
"Who's that 13 year old who's out there knocking people down?" - love watching the game with ppl who don't know our team as well, you get some great perspective

maineblackbear
12-03-2009, 05:17 AM
my wife has called him "Doogie" throughout the season. Agree with much of above-- he does not look completely in sync--but he works very hard and is very smart. What kind of frosh to soph jump can we hope for? Wow.

FuManShoes
12-03-2009, 06:07 AM
BS. That was a clean pick. He didn't clothesline him or anything else, just set himself solid and took the contact. Capers ran into him. It's his teammates' responsibility to call out the pick. Bad comparison.

You're referring to a different play in the Cincy game. I'm talking about hard picks in the backcourt, like the one that flattened Meech in Maui. They happen every game and rarely are they malicious. Now, whether or not the opposing player should stop and scrape up his fallen foe or show some satisfaction in knocking him down is another discussion. I'm just happy to see the Zags, even the youngins', dish it out as well as they take it.

Once and Future Zag
12-03-2009, 06:36 AM
How about that pick that Olynyk laid on Capers late in the game to free up Bouldin who was being harassed bringing the ball up.

The where'd that "brick wall" come from pick?

Loved it.

alldaye
12-03-2009, 06:41 AM
Love his game. Nothing spectacular. But he's a catalyst that plays smart. He was key tonight.

He's gonna be spectacular. Let me tell ya. I've seen a couple highschool videos on youtube, he can SCORE. I'm glad he's been such an energy guy, good passer, defender, and rebounder, but just wait til he gets the green light from Few, and gets his confidence. He is gonna be a 15-20 point scorer a night by the time he's done.

DADoZAG
12-03-2009, 07:15 AM
Welcome one and all to the upper half of the glass.

And the journey continues....

Go ZAGS!

DixieZag
12-03-2009, 07:34 AM
Yes, he has been a pleasure to watch inside, and as he slowly (or quickly) gains confidence in where he is, wait till he starts rushing out unguarded to the three arc and softly tickling the twine, he can shoot.

BTW, so can Manny Arop, patience with these guys, they all can do more. Arop outscored KO in the International tourney.

jpwils
12-03-2009, 07:54 AM
KO plays with a fundamental sense of when and how to do things simply.

Does the little things and some big things when called on.

He is alot like Pendo in that he makes players around him look good.

I think we may see more of his offensive style in the future.

Thought Harris and Gibbs were awesome as well in different ways of course.

hooter73
12-03-2009, 09:22 AM
I've been ralllying for bench points from the start but right now with KO, Gibbs and to an extent Arop, bench play is freeing up some more offense for the starters. KO is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. Hope to see continued growth from everyone.

BobZag
12-03-2009, 10:57 AM

+1

Watch him a year or two from now.

seasontixholder
12-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Kelly is the closest thing to a replacement for Matt Bouldin as half-court creator next year. Tough to replicate exactly, but he can do other things as well.

bartruff1
12-03-2009, 12:20 PM
He knows it and we know it....he looks very comfortable already...and it appears the upperclassmen accept and trust him...I expect he will be here four years and continue to have a close association with the school and the team after he graduates...and GG will be also be a Zag in that mode...sure, they look like very big 7th graders but they know how to play ...I love the way they play thru the calls...just like Matt..

lothar98zag
12-03-2009, 01:14 PM
lothar approves and hopes "super glue" sticks as Kelly's nickname.

for example after the wonderful back court screen last night, one coud say:

"that coug was KO'd by Super Glue"

Larrylegend
12-03-2009, 01:33 PM
10 points
7 boards (2 on the offensive end)
2 steals

How many double-doubles is he going to have at GU?
KO is 6'11", athletic, tough, smart, a team player and we're just starting to see a tiny bit of his scoring ability. Kelly is a gamer. I joined his fan club during the Michigan State game.

007Zag
12-03-2009, 02:13 PM
for example after the wonderful back court screen last night, one coud say:

"that coug was KO'd by Super Glue"

or how bout: "that coug was Super Glued by KO?"

maynard g krebs
12-03-2009, 04:02 PM
You're referring to a different play in the Cincy game. I'm talking about hard picks in the backcourt, like the one that flattened Meech in Maui. They happen every game and rarely are they malicious. Now, whether or not the opposing player should stop and scrape up his fallen foe or show some satisfaction in knocking him down is another discussion. I'm just happy to see the Zags, even the youngins', dish it out as well as they take it.

Nobody was complaining about picks comparable to Kelly's by Cincy. Your previous post said otherwise.

mdZag23
12-03-2009, 04:13 PM
he starts knocking down threes! We are all going to love him. I just don's see confidence in his outside game but when it comes.....I say look out!

ZagNative
12-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Every game I watch I am amazed by what this goofy looking Canadian kid is doing out there. I love the Pendo comparisons, but I think he has a lot more skill on the offensive end to say nothing of his hight. The kid has a ton of heart and is going to be a player for this team for a while.:lmao:

I have watched Kelly's "look" with interest since we first started recruiting him, and was concerned at what seemed to be a Taming-of-the-Shrew-Mop in progress since he donned the Zags' colors. He was seeming to look alarmingly civilized in his hairstylings since showing up on the Boone Avenue campus.

So I was reassured and had to laugh when I saw Kelly's indescribable mop ruling supreme and out-of-control in that KREM 2 video intervew (http://www.krem.com/video/raw/Uncut-Kelly-Olynyk-liked-GUs-overall-effort-on-Wednesday-night-78394662.html) after the WSU interview! It's crazy-ass hair, but it's Zag hair, and we love it!

On matters of substance, here are a couple of bits from Meehan's day-after-WSU blog today:
—We mentioned in the game story that GU went to a four-freshmen-and-Bouldin lineup late in the second half. Olynyk finished with 10 points and seven boards. Grant Gibbs had a rebound and two assists. Manny Arop blocked one of Thompson’s shots. And Harris racked up 24 points and 12 rebounds for Gonzaga’s first double-double of the season.

“We don’t really see ourselves as four freshmen and Bouldin. We see ourselves as a team and anytime we’re out there we feel like we can make progress toward coming back or pushing the lead forward,” Olynyk said. “It’s great for us to be able to do that, great for the team to show that we have that capability.”

Said Bouldin: “Manny got some big stops on Klay. Kelly was a stud and so was Grant. They came in firing, no fear.”
QUOTEBOOK

Olynyk: “We made a bunch of mistakes early and we just had to fight through it. Down the stretch, we made things happen.”

I think Kelly has unusual poise for a freshman in dealing with the media.

The only pic I've seen thus far of Kelly from the WSU game is of hm shooting over Nikola Koprivica:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/Sxg9wYxR6JI/AAAAAAAACQo/_zj3yeW1G4g/2009-12-02%20Kelly%20Olynyk%20WSU.jpg

Go Super Glue! We're rootin' for you! Just go "oot" there and knock 'em back on their heels!