PDA

View Full Version : Would Gonzaga's offense...

Timeout!
12-02-2009, 07:16 PM
benefit more with Meech coming off the bench like last season? He seems like the perfect candidate for a 6th man given his high energy, ability to spark a team in transition, plays hard, solid defense, etc.

However, should Meech be our starting PG at Gonzaga or does he have a tendency to rush things too often, unwilling to play within himself, and affects our offensive flow negatively? Is Meech all smoke n' mirrors as our PG? Besides good man-to-man defense, how much is contributing as a "true" PG?

Just curious.

What about starting GJ instead and develop his all-around game? He seems to have better vision, understand when to turn it on or off, and is a heady player. I'm interested to know if Meech was given the starting job out of default?

I wonder this particular team would benefit more if Meech was more a 6th man along with KO and others.

Discuss.

Virginia Zags Fan
12-02-2009, 07:28 PM
I like MG starting because he sets the pace of the game. The Zags are usually great in a transition paced game. This game definitely was in the pattern of CU and Cinncy. Zags start fast in the first 4-5 minutes with MG at the helm. Long dry spell during the next 10-15 minutes to half. Strong come back in the second half after adjustments. Good.

Figuring out the right personnel combo for that first half is the trick. Once turnovers were eliminated and rebounding established in the 2nd half, things got back under control.

VinnyZag
12-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Why do people insist on dismissing defense as an important part of the game of basketball?

Discuss.

JohnOGU
12-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Meech seriously needs to step it up on offense. He needs to be our PG...the PG that we know he can be. Every time he gets hassled, he passes it off to Bouldin and Gray. Also, there were a few times tonight where he essentially had an isolation against the opposing guard and did nothing with it. He's too quick for this.

TacomaZAG
12-02-2009, 08:38 PM
is to play defense and get the ball to the other guys in the position to score. He doesn't need to score, he just needs to continue to create shots for the other guys on offense and harass the point on defense. He is doing both pretty well 6 games into the season. Sure, he get's out of control at times on the offensive end, but I love his aggressiveness and toughness. His D at the point has been key for us so far this year.

We have plenty of scorers, Meech is doing a great job being a "true" point guard.

Keep it up Meech, we're 6-1 and rolling.

Go ZAGS

dnj116
12-02-2009, 09:01 PM
The only negative I see with Meech is he has no outside shot. I know he's made some, but we've also witnessed him airball more than he's made. Everytime he had the ball out on the point tonight, the man guarding him slacked off and anticipated the drive or pass. He needs to keep defenses honest with an outside shot. Not saying GJ should start over meech because he needs to learn the system more, etc. but we have seen GJ able to stroke it from deep (although he was 0-1 tonight with a rushed shot). Unless Few goes strictly with seniority, I can see GJ passing Meech in the lineup by year's end...