PDA

View Full Version : Wow what a win!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NYCZAG
12-02-2009, 07:12 PM
So much never quit in this team so freaking exciting!!!!-Congrats on a great one and Wisconsin beat duke I think?-

FuManShoes
12-02-2009, 07:15 PM
I have no idea how the Zags won that game. They just shut WSU down cold and started making all the hustle plays. Matt's threes opened things up inside and he found guys time and again. And Steven was determined not to let Klay be the hero. Awesome D down the stretch. The Zags should never have been in that position by playing so very sloppy and lethargic in the first half. But whatever. Survive and advance ...

And those of you who've been doubting Kelly -- are you happy now?

ZagLawGrad
12-02-2009, 07:15 PM
and Wisconsin beat duke I think?-

yup

ZagNative
12-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Couldn't bear the first half, so I did the dishes in the first half listening on my Walkman, with visions of a humiliating loss in my head. Could not believe the comeback, especially Elias and Matt's performance, with nice contributions by Grant Gibbs, but especially Kelly.

Nice!

MickMick
12-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Who is considered the best freshman in the country?

John Wall? Lance Stevenson? Henson from UNC?

I dunno about you, but I wouldn't swap Harris for any of them. In my mind, Harris is, without a doubt, the best freshman in the country.

That frosh PG for WSU is pretty impressive too.

gamagin
12-02-2009, 07:38 PM
we had our hats in our hands for 3/4ths of this g ame and then basically gutted out a win by, imo, taking over where we were basically missing, under the basket.

haven't seen the stats but I'm sure we were seriously outrebounded first 3/4ths and basically failed, also, to attack the net. the last 10 minutes that was reversed.

Elias, KO, Matt, all drove and drove and drove, opening up that brick wall which, in turn, opened up the possibility of the 3, which MB started canning.

Even Steven, who did a fab job versus their big gun, had perhaps his worst off game ever. However, he got two game changing t/o's at the most critical points when WSU still had a chance. A dagger from a warrior who couldn't find his ass with either hand before that.

Great game. Great effort. No quit in these guys. Also, Meech and Gj had tough matchups and we went with the taller liineup, which also proved providential on Few's part.

So we went from being outhustled to outhustling them when it mattered. Again.

go TEAM Zags ! !

krozman
12-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Man, I was really upset and really grateful by the end of this.
Gray, sacre and goodson really didn't amaze at all this game. I think I counted 5 turnovers just from gray passing to nobody. Despite Bouldin having a career day, Harris is the story. The man is a beast.

Hoopaholic
12-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Mentally Tough.....got out hustled first half, but not the second half

Play with a Chip on their shoulders in second half

Thought was typical game for a team full of youngsters and we will have these this year.

Would have loved to been fly on wall at half time to see the "discussion" in the lockerroom

First half they "forgot" about the other kids on the team I thought. Stood around on offense in first half and the quick double team on post forced us into erros because of the stand and watch attitude...

Grey did awesome job on defense...and for those who have never "chased" a scorer it is very mentally taxing and for me that showed on some of his passes....but he was tremendous on the defensive end

Oly and Gibbs in the last 6 minutes of the game...wow....tremedous "trust" demonstrated by the coaching staff in these two kids during that critical stage of the game

I will take Matt and Harris over Thompson any day of the week

Timeout!
12-02-2009, 07:58 PM
WSU had twice as many 0ffensive boards, six less TO's, attempted 16 more shots, and just as many rebs overall.

How'd the Zags win this game?

Two words: Boudlin & Elias.

While we've shown a flare for dramatic comebacks, we displayed many weaknesses this game. Coach Bone flushed out how to defend the Zags. Run the most unique match-up 2-3 zone I've ever seen and hope our guards aren't on. Fortnately for us, Bouldin was shooting well from 3pt and Elias took advantage of rebounding and was a man on a mission in 2nd half. Also, props to Kelly for playing smart bball and providing a much needed spark off the bench. Nice adjustments at half.

I fully expect us to play better overall on Saturday. We won't see that maniacal zone defense and our guys love to match-up against athletic teams who play a bit out of sorts at times. We'll take advantage of Wake's unorganized structure and the fact they'll want to play man-to-man more than WSU.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Great teams find ways to win even when they're not playing well. Is Gonzaga a great team? Well, I'm starting to believe more and more with each passing game.

As far as Wazzu... They coug'd it. Enough said.

McZag
12-02-2009, 08:02 PM
I was most impressed with Matt and Kelly. These two put the team on their back and refused to lose. Matt really made a statement about his abilities tonight.

ZagLawGrad
12-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Zags played poorly first half---but my impression was that the Cougs were playing beyond their means at the same time. Cougs came back to earth in 2nd half, and Zags finally showed up in the nick of time...

Albeit with a lineup most of us would not have guessed to get the win.

GeorgiaZagFan
12-02-2009, 08:13 PM
I don't want to go the whole season this way..... but over the past 3-5 seasons....can you think of any 2nd half double-digit deficits the Zags overcame to win? ....I do like hte heart and fight this team is showing.

FieldHouseFishHouse
12-02-2009, 08:15 PM
I can't take this sh*t anymore, if this keeps up I will die from a heart attack at the age of 26.
But hell, I would rather die seeing the Zags win than die with the taste of a filthy coug victory in my mouth.

chirguy
12-02-2009, 08:18 PM
While Grant Gibbs didn't get a lot of stats, I though he played well. He kept his cool, played good defense and had a couple of assist. He was out there not trying to be the man, but trying to help. I see him getting more minutes.

RenoZag
12-02-2009, 08:20 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2501/4154956380_68ee9591ab_o.jpg

Reborn
12-02-2009, 08:25 PM
I can't take this sh*t anymore, if this keeps up I will die from a heart attack at the age of 26.
But hell, I would rather die seeing the Zags win than die with the taste of a filthy coug victory in my mouth.

:lmao: I cant stop laughing. :lmao: You couldn't have said it better. :)

bballbeachbum
12-02-2009, 08:25 PM
what a win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FieldHouseFishHouse
12-02-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm so freaked out I forgot to add:
This is a good WSU team. There are not that many good wins available in the PAC-10 this year, but I think that if they finish 3-4 in league, get out of the non-conf with 1-2 more losses or less, and get a couple wins in the PAC-10 tourney, they will be one hell of a 8-12 seed come march. If they slip up and head to the NIT, they could make a deep run there as well.
KT can obviously score, just not tonight.
Casto hits the offensive glass so hard he will get his points, also a nightmare on defense which is no surprise.
Moore is a good freshman and as such will get better.
Capers is kind of a Gumby on defense and can finish around the rim.
Assorted role players did their jobs for 32 minutes tonight.
The future is bright for WSU if KT and Casto stick around.

Rbo
12-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Mad props for Matt. Without his consistent effort it was a double digit loss. Period.

UberZagFan
12-02-2009, 08:42 PM
So what just happened there?

RenoZag
12-02-2009, 08:45 PM
So what just happened there?

Zags snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. . .

tobizag
12-02-2009, 08:53 PM
epic win. amazing. i'm emotionally exhausted.

heister and ehlo actually said something intelligent tonight when the mentioned elias' mean look on his face. they were right on the money. there was a point in the game where he decided it was time to unleash his inner bulldozer and the look of determination (i think) rallied our troops to bust their butts.

amazing game. bouldin was unreal. lights out. his shots in the first half kept us just barely in the game. and the three to cut the lead to 1...i nearly died.

i love gonzaga victories!

Zag4Hire
12-02-2009, 09:04 PM

What are you talking about...I would much rather have this team than the 2005-2006 'Cardiac Zags'. It seemed like every game was a nail biter because they couldn't play defense. Who could forget the Michigan State and UConn tilts in Maui, the BiS thriller over Oklahoma State, the extremely over-looked nail biter against St. Louis (not many people comment on that game but that game bugged me something fierce), the crazy USD winner by Erroll, etc. That season took about 10 years off my life. And, goes without saying, the game that ended the season is firmly ingrained in my memory for all time. So...this team hasn't done much.

I was extemely proud of the way they fought back.

rawkmandale
12-02-2009, 09:12 PM
From the AP story posted all over the place (grabbed of ESPN):

Harris and Olynyk each added a pair of free throws, and the Cougars were harassed into turnovers and misses, in part because of a boisterous full house.

"I've never been through a crowd like this before," Moore said. "It's so loud, you can't even call a play."

NotoriousZ
12-02-2009, 09:22 PM
...Wazzu controlling the paint for the first 3/4 of the game? Harris is THE MAN! I'm sure I'll be saying the same thing about Sacre in many games this season, but it wasn't his night. Way to go Matty, Elias, Kelly, Gray, Gibbs, and Few! I voted for Bouldin as the GUnit, but if I had two votes I'd give the other one to Harris--we lose if either of those guys weren't there.

FieldHouseFishHouse
12-02-2009, 09:24 PM
What are you talking about...I would much rather have this team than the 2005-2006 'Cardiac Zags'. It seemed like every game was a nail biter because they couldn't play defense. Who could forget the Michigan State and UConn tilts in Maui, the BiS thriller over Oklahoma State, the extremely over-looked nail biter against St. Louis (not many people comment on that game but that game bugged me something fierce), the crazy USD winner by Erroll, etc. That season took about 10 years off my life. And, goes without saying, the game that ended the season is firmly ingrained in my memory for all time. So...this team hasn't done much.

I was extemely proud of the way they fought back.

I was smoking weed that year.

Zag4Hire
12-02-2009, 09:28 PM
These kids are truly great. All of them seem like fierce competitors but also seem like they would be a great group of guys to hang out with. I love these surprise GU teams (last one I can think of was the year after Ammo and JP).

This is a win you can build a season on: a gritty comeback against a rival in your own backyard. Through sheer will and determination, the young and elder Zags brought this team into the winner's circle. Through the boxscore (Harris and Bouldin), the absolute hustle plays and great boards (KO), solid minutes (Gibbs), or solid defense (Gray), everybody gives their all. This is a prime example of what makes Gonzaga a special program to watch.

seasontixholder
12-02-2009, 09:29 PM
I like the Cougars and the type of team they are. The are heady and have most of the parts except a decent 4. They are a better version of Portland, truth be told. They have a 1 who is dangerous and could have been the deciding factor with a little more experience.

1. Klay is a 4 year college player. His quickness and strength is not pro caliber yet.

2. Casto is a 4 year college player, a tweener.

3. Bad refs - and these were a subpar crew - always leads to disjointed games that hinder getting a rhythm going, and prohibiting the home crowd from getting into it. Just about the time things are ready to cook, a headslapping call drains any momentum out of the game. It took them 32-4 minutes to get the hell out of the way of this one.

JIMMYMAC
12-02-2009, 09:36 PM
1st half: we were outrebounded by 11
2nd half: we were +10
1st half +8 minutes of 2nd half: No discretion on passing, turnover city
2nd half: inside opened up, found the open guys, less forced shots/passes
I think I hugged and high fived at least 8 strangers in the stands

Robzagnut
12-02-2009, 10:39 PM
While Grant Gibbs didn't get a lot of stats, I though he played well. He kept his cool, played good defense and had a couple of assist. He was out there not trying to be the man, but trying to help. I see him getting more minutes.

Yes.

I loved his assist after the TO. A Coug tried to push him off the top of the key, but he held his ground and stepped thru, because he knew that's where he was supposed to be to make that pass.

The newest member in the long line of heady combo guards for GU.

Nevtelen
12-02-2009, 10:46 PM
The team shot 62% in the 2nd half after shooting in the mid-30s in the first half. Yes, the shooting % nearly doubled. That is beyond ridiculous. Made FTs also doubled from 1st half to 2nd. Wow. Nice halftime adjustments, I'd say.

JohnOGU
12-02-2009, 10:59 PM
As far as Wazzu... They coug'd it. Enough said.

I've heard this so many times tonight. I love how it's synonymous with choking games. If anything, we Zag'd it. That's what we do.

ZagsGoZags
12-02-2009, 11:32 PM
It seems like we got fewer of our passes picked off in the lanes in the 2nd half also. I can still see Tony Bennet's influence as the Coug players keep one eye on anticipating where the inside passes might be coming. I wish we could play them twice a year to adapt to the highest level of defense.

Birddog
12-03-2009, 03:39 AM
I think I hugged and high fived at least 8 strangers in the stands
Just like at Mass?

Zagdawg
12-03-2009, 04:38 AM
The Cougs impressed me--they are much better than I thought they would be even with us taking the nations leading scorer and reducing his production.

Great game.

gamagin
12-03-2009, 08:22 AM
included three freshman, SG & MB.

KO, GG & EH rounded out what turned out to befuddle and basically beat WSU end to end.

that has got to be demoralizing for the Cougs when they realize the bench beat them after they beat the starting lineup. Bone had them ready to beat the predictable players.

RS got beat up and flustered and out of his game. Meech wouldn't (or couldn't) shoot, and neither did GJ, for whatever reasons (ok he shot once). But this caused the Cougs to collapse and double-triple team the shooters, creating the imbalance.

Until.

Until the talls. GG & KO, showed up and messed up their party. Suddenly WSU was facing an imbalance, in height, in hustle, in banging, underneath and out front -- which made all the difference. Even Arop blocked Klay on what he thought was an open shot.

Five guys crashing the boards or threatening to overwhelmed em. And the fouls started coming and guys like KO suddenly were shooting free throws and just as suddenly we stemmed the tide and turned it into a tsunami.

One. Great. game.

Go TEAM Zags !

Nevtelen
12-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Like most thought in the preseason, this team is learning more about itself every game. I think there were some very valuable lessons learned on the court last night. I'm just VERY glad that the Zags managed to come out with a learning experience AND a W.

CaZagAlum
12-03-2009, 09:59 AM
epic win. amazing. i'm emotionally exhausted.

heister and ehlo actually said something intelligent tonight when the mentioned elias' mean look on his face.

That must have been after the epic philosophical debate on whether zero was really a number or "just a whole lotta nothin."

7ICoug
12-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Congrats on the win, Zags. Great crowd, good game.