PDA

View Full Version : No TV, a darn shame

jazzdelmar
12-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Has GU ever played a higher profile game with less TV coverage? This cd be the game of the day in CBB and it appears nowhere on any of the major nets or even FCS. Yes, I know all about the dish, and online justintv and our Philly connection, still isnt it absurd that there is no over the air coverage between arguably two of the five best teams in the West with added features such as in state dominance, coaching styles, new stars on the horizon, etc.

CDC84
12-02-2009, 09:21 AM
I guess ESPN didn't think Gonzaga or WSU would be that good. They passed on the game.

Gotta love that Sports Pack on Direct TV.......everyone from Maine to Arizona can see the game if they have it.

zagsfanforlife
12-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Phillyzag.. does that mean no coverage from you tonight as well?

cjm720
12-02-2009, 09:31 AM
The game is on FSN...in Seattle at least. Just set up the dvr this morning.

jazzdelmar
12-02-2009, 09:33 AM
I guess ESPN didn't think Gonzaga or WSU would be that good. They passed on the game.

Gotta love that Sports Pack on Direct TV.......everyone from Maine to Arizona can see the game if they have it.

espn is dutifully showing the mostly dreary matchups between the acc and big 11.......such a sameness to the games, regardless of teams playing (tho unc and msu was pretty good)......fox college spts is TVing many of wazzu's ooc games, just not this one.

Zaggin' it
12-02-2009, 09:40 AM
I think your lead of "No tv" is a bit dramatic. The game is over the air on KHQ which covers most of Eastern Washington, Northern Idaho, Western Montana and into Canada. It is also simulcast on Fox Sports Northwest, which covers all those areas and more and can be seen nationally on the various satellite services.

I think we're a little spoiled complaining about the tv coverage for today's game when, in fact, it's still better coverage than most programs could hope for for any game.

Pargo the Destroyer
12-02-2009, 09:41 AM
espn is dutifully showing the mostly dreary matchups between the acc and big 11.......such a sameness to the games, regardless of teams playing (tho unc and msu was pretty good)......fox college spts is TVing many of wazzu's ooc games, just not this one.

those acc / big 10 games are horrid, the unc msu game was somewhat watchable, but holy cow, the rest are boring.

khq / fsn is what my schedule says, though im not sure that helps people not living in WA state

kitzbuel
12-02-2009, 09:49 AM

Dish also gets a sport package which allows me to watch it.

There is little to no chance that the GU game will be played out here outside of regional sports packages. When GU get CBS games (like Battle in Seattle), they are played regionally and I don't get them out all back East.

zagsfanforlife
12-02-2009, 09:49 AM
im sure philly has it then. MY dad and I are hardcore zags fans so we ordered fox sports northwest in la just for the games. Unforunately in london, i dont get his feed. Cant wait for the 3 am wakeup to see the zags continue their hot play

jazzdelmar
12-02-2009, 09:50 AM
I think your lead of "No tv" is a bit dramatic. The game is over the air on KHQ which covers most of Eastern Washington, Northern Idaho, Western Montana and into Canada. It is also simulcast on Fox Sports Northwest, which covers all those areas and more and can be seen nationally on the various satellite services.

I think we're a little spoiled complaining about the tv coverage for today's game when, in fact, it's still better coverage than most programs could hope for for any game.

thats a pretty small sample of the viewing public, doncha think? look, ur right, we are spoiled but as recently as 3 yrs ago ALL of GU's non networkl games were carried over the air by Fox College Sports.......

ZagMan in Philly
12-02-2009, 09:51 AM

I love the sports pack on Directv as well...i get every zags games, except for the exhibition game.
With that said...tonight's game will be streamed on

www.justin.tv/phillyzag

BoltZag
12-02-2009, 09:52 AM
I think your lead of "No tv" is a bit dramatic.

Competely, 100% agree. This game is getting no less coverage than any other game, save for a handful on the ESPN family and will reach millions of homes.

It's on basic cable from Alaska to northern CA, OR, WA, ID and western MT. On satellite (Dish or DirecTV) it can be picked up anywhere in north America.

A little dramatic, indeed. What makes you think a game between two teams from 75 miles apart in eastern WA is of national interest anyway? It was scheduled eons ago, long before WSU won the Great AK Shootout.

GU has a very generous, accessible TV package.

CDC84
12-02-2009, 09:55 AM
There is little to no chance that the GU game will be played out here outside of regional sports packages. When GU get CBS games (like Battle in Seattle), they are played regionally and I don't get them out all back East.

Some good news this year though....the Duke/Gonzaga game is a national game on CBS. It won't be regionalized. Unfortunately, the Gonzaga/Illinois game will be regionalized. Most people in the west will get stuck with the UCLA/Arizona game which is in the same time slot.

ZagMan in Philly
12-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Dish also gets a sport package which allows me to watch it.

Hmmmm, I may have trouble getting the Davidson game in Philly as well....I wonder what game CBS will show for the east coast, Darn :(

jazzdelmar
12-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Competely, 100% agree. This game is getting no less coverage than any other game, save for a handful on the ESPN family and will reach millions of homes.

no less coverage is a relative term

It's on basic cable from Alaska to northern CA, OR, WA, ID and western MT. On satellite (Dish or DirecTV) it can be picked up anywhere in north America.

so if u dont live in Kalispell or Yakima and dont have a dish ur outta luck...

A little dramatic, indeed. What makes you think a game between two teams from 75 miles apart in eastern WA is of national interest anyway? It was scheduled eons ago, long before WSU won the Great AK Shootout.

[B]what, no expert cd think GU might be good still? but ur right, im just a mindless GU fan w no sense of proportion or propriety :D

GU has a very generous, accessible TV package.

again, 3 years ago ALL GUU games were on over the air FCS channels...sigh

thespywhozaggedme
12-02-2009, 09:59 AM
As I've said several times, I pay $5 extra a month for about 50 sports channels on Dish Network. The game is showing on FSNNW live and on the HD channel joined in progress (JIP).

MikeGallego
12-02-2009, 10:03 AM
thats a pretty small sample of the viewing public, doncha think? look, ur right, we are spoiled but as recently as 3 yrs ago ALL of GU's non networkl games were carried over the air by Fox College Sports.......

As early as three years ago? More like, as early as two years ago. Gonzaga really (and I can't imagine a legitimate argument to the contrary, but I'd love to hear one) dropped the ball by letting the WCC sign the ESPN deal.
Telling me to "get a dish" (as has been the argument on here since last season) is not helpful, nor is it productive. Making it especially unhelpful and unproductive is the fact that, as Jazz said, two years ago I could watch all the games from my cable box that was, by the way, nowhere near Spokane. The online stream is a lifesaver, but in 2009, we shouldn't have to rely on such a thing, especially because in 2007 (or 2006 or 2005), we didn't.

Sometimes, every so often, Gonzaga blows it. In my opinion, they blew this one. Big time.

jazzdelmar
12-02-2009, 10:07 AM
As early as three years ago? More like, as early as two years ago. Gonzaga really (and I can't imagine a legitimate argument to the contrary, but I'd love to hear one) dropped the ball by letting the WCC sign the ESPN deal.
Telling me to "get a dish" (as has been the argument on here since last season) is not helpful, nor is it productive. Making it especially unhelpful and unproductive is the fact that, as Jazz said, two years ago I could watch all the games from my cable box that was, by the way, nowhere near Spokane. The online stream is a lifesaver, but in 2009, we shouldn't have to rely on such a thing, especially because in 2007 (or 2006 or 2005), we didn't.

Sometimes, every so often, Gonzaga blows it. In my opinion, they blew this one. Big time.

thank the lord Mike.....i thought i was losing my mind but ur right, for a multi year period ending 2 yrs ago all the GU gms were on FCS...even the stinkers...and nothing is more infuriating than to be told to get a dish when i already pay $150/mo for cable, or to move closer to Spokane (well, Whitefish and CDA are nice)........thx again for the reinforcement

outrunu
12-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Last year was the first time FCS didn't air the games. It's because ESPN and the WCC signed a contract that gives ESPN the rights to games out of market. So you either have to have satellite with the sports pack, or get hosed. The reason they show the WSU games is because they are PAC 10. If the game was in Pullman you would get it, I would think.

lothar98zag
12-02-2009, 10:26 AM

I'm still pissed about this whole thing, but honestly, beyond GU voting "no", what else could they have done to try to stop the WCC from signing the deal with ESPN?

lothar98zag
12-02-2009, 10:27 AM
I love the sports pack on Directv as well...i get every zags games, except for the exhibition game.
With that said...tonight's game will be streamed on

www.justin.tv/phillyzag
thanks (for the 100th time) for doing this. it's a lifesaver! i'll be there tonight.

outrunu
12-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Telling me to "get a dish" (as has been the argument on here since last season) is not helpful, nor is it productive.

No offense Mike, but when the only solution is "get a dish", complaining about the change is not helpful or productive either....:D

Zaggin' it
12-02-2009, 10:37 AM
thank the lord Mike.....i thought i was losing my mind but ur right, for a multi year period ending 2 yrs ago all the GU gms were on FCS...even the stinkers...and nothing is more infuriating than to be told to get a dish when i already pay $150/mo for cable, or to move closer to Spokane (well, Whitefish and CDA are nice)........thx again for the reinforcement

Maybe you should take that $150 per month you are paying for cable, instead pay the $137.50 per month I pay to get virtually every channel on DirecTV, and find something else to write about while you watch the Zags games with $12.50 in your pocket.

WallaWallaZag
12-02-2009, 10:38 AM
not sure on this, but i would guess an espn tv package gets more national exposure. you can't compare fox to espn...it's no competition. i'm on espn.com 24-7 but i've never even gone to the fox website and i'm guessing i'm not alone. probably better to have a tv deal with espn when it comes to recruiting as well, not to mention it helps the other members of the wcc.

MDABE80
12-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Jazz lives in a region where Fox Sports NW should be seen. It's not so far my my house in San Clemente ( like I ever get there). It's always on my cable. ZagMan in Philly has a knack for Justin.TV. He is literally the greatest!!! I wonder why there isn't a link to KHQ! though... last year 115 comcast carried that channel.

Enjoy the game. I hope we win. I love this team!!!

Colbyspapa
12-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Is there a link anywhere on a discussion regarding GU giving their marketing rights to the WCC to make a deal with ESPN?

As I understood it, GU still did its own tv deals via IMG for any games not included in the WCC package. If this is still the case and the WCC is choosing to highlight GU games with their package, it just adds to our tv package.

I think it was the decade of excellence dvd that Jay Bilas or Andy Katz said, we have a big Monday slot for GU, not the WCC.

MikeGallego
12-02-2009, 10:56 AM
No offense Mike, but when the only solution is "get a dish", complaining about the change is not helpful or productive either....:D

I don't take offense to that; it's a valid question.
I actually don't think it is "the only solution." We'll never know what went on behind the scenes when the WCC brought the ESPN deal up with its member schools (or if it even did), but I've got to think that had Gonzaga really wanted to (that is, had it really thought about how its fans would be affected), it could have done a whole lot more than "vote no."
To paraphrase Jay-Z, when it comes to the WCC, Gonzaga's not a businessman, it's a business, man. Without Gonzaga (I honestly believe this, and I'm sure once you all admit it, you do to), there is no national TV obligation with ESPN, and there's no Big Monday/Super Thursday schedule for the conference either. There is, instead, a repeated history of 15-seeded WCC teams maybe pulling off an upset in the tourney once every two decades, but otherwise losing big and taking home a small tournament share to the rest of the conference. Mark Few "threatened" to boycott the WCC Tourney a few years ago to protest the rotating home schedule for USD and Santa Clara. It's my opinion that Gonzaga, had it really cared, should have thrown all its considerable weight behind the idea that the ESPN deal was not only bad for Gonzaga, but moving it in the wrong direction. It could very well be that they could only "vote no," but my hunch is the money Gonzaga brings to the WCC is substantial enough to allow for a stronger protest.

Oh, you probably meant that complaining was the only thing I could do. Yeah, you're probably right. But dagnabit, I like to complain.

RenoZag
12-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Some good news this year though....the Duke/Gonzaga game is a national game on CBS. It won't be regionalized. Unfortunately, the Gonzaga/Illinois game will be regionalized. Most people in the west will get stuck with the UCLA/Arizona game which is in the same time slot.

Well, that blows. . .:mad:

ID ZAGFAN
12-02-2009, 11:14 AM
is in the Big 10. Does that mean it will also be shown on the Big Ten network? I couldn't find out by going to the Illinois website. Checked the Big Ten Network site , and they only show the schedue this week and next week. :confused:

If it is, those of us with the sports package that includes the Big Ten will be able to see it.

Anybody know?

ID ZAGFAN

MikeGallego
12-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Get a dish. You'll be able to pick up a different region's feed that way.

See...not that helpful.

RenoZag
12-02-2009, 11:21 AM
I have DIRECTV and can't access regional major network feeds. . .in this case, I'll get whatever the CBS feed is in my part of the Western US. Perhaps if UCLA and AZ suck throughout December the network powers -that-be will determine only the SW corner of the West should get Wildcats v. Bruins whilst the remainder enjoy the excitement of Gonzaga Bulldogs basketball. . .

It will be a long Jan. 2nd if I have to follow that game via GameTracker. . .

outrunu
12-02-2009, 11:33 AM
I have DIRECTV and can't access regional major network feeds. . .in this case, I'll get whatever the CBS feed is in my part of the Western US. Perhaps if UCLA and AZ suck throughout December the network powers -that-be will determine only the SW corner of the West should get Wildcats v. Bruins whilst the remainder enjoy the excitement of Gonzaga Bulldogs basketball. . .

It will be a long Jan. 2nd if I have to follow that game via GameTracker. . .

I bet the Big ten network carries it. I'm not worried yet.

RenoZag
12-02-2009, 11:42 AM

I hope you're right

LongIslandZagFan
12-02-2009, 11:51 AM
again, 3 years ago ALL GUU games were on over the air FCS channels...sigh

Thank ESPN for that. WCC contract (which gets more WCC games on ESPN) supersedes GU contract with FSN. That gives ESPN control of ALL national games where WCC team is the home team. FCS are national channels, ESPN holds those rights and won't give them up to a rival. FSN on Dish is regionalized technically hence it isn't blacked out.

I initially thought this post would clear things up... but dang is this confusing. Darn those lawyers and their stupid contracts (apologies to the lawyers on the board). :D

TexasZagFan
12-02-2009, 11:55 AM
The game is on FSN...in Seattle at least. Just set up the dvr this morning.

It's on FSN in Dallas...my dvr was set last week.

The search function is awesome...type in GONZ, tab over to Gonzaga Bulldogs, set the dvr for each game that appears on the schedule.

LongIslandZagFan
12-02-2009, 11:56 AM
thanks (for the 100th time) for doing this. it's a lifesaver! i'll be there tonight.

Who is this Lothar guy??? I thought he went back to live with the Hill People. ;)

TexasZagFan
12-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Thank ESPN for that. WCC contract (which gets more WCC games on ESPN) supersedes GU contract with FSN. That gives ESPN control of ALL national games where WCC team is the home team. FCS are national channels, ESPN holds those rights and won't give them up to a rival. FSN on Dish is regionalized technically hence it isn't blacked out.

I initially thought this post would clear things up... but dang is this confusing. Darn those lawyers and their stupid contracts (apologies to the lawyers on the board). :D

If the Zags play a game at the Spokane Coliseum, are the Zags still considered the "home team" in the ESPN deal, or does that become a neutral site?

LongIslandZagFan
12-02-2009, 12:03 PM
I don't take offense to that; it's a valid question.
I actually don't think it is "the only solution." We'll never know what went on behind the scenes when the WCC brought the ESPN deal up with its member schools (or if it even did), but I've got to think that had Gonzaga really wanted to (that is, had it really thought about how its fans would be affected), it could have done a whole lot more than "vote no."
To paraphrase Jay-Z, when it comes to the WCC, Gonzaga's not a businessman, it's a business, man. Without Gonzaga (I honestly believe this, and I'm sure once you all admit it, you do to), there is no national TV obligation with ESPN, and there's no Big Monday/Super Thursday schedule for the conference either. There is, instead, a repeated history of 15-seeded WCC teams maybe pulling off an upset in the tourney once every two decades, but otherwise losing big and taking home a small tournament share to the rest of the conference. Mark Few "threatened" to boycott the WCC Tourney a few years ago to protest the rotating home schedule for USD and Santa Clara. It's my opinion that Gonzaga, had it really cared, should have thrown all its considerable weight behind the idea that the ESPN deal was not only bad for Gonzaga, but moving it in the wrong direction. It could very well be that they could only "vote no," but my hunch is the money Gonzaga brings to the WCC is substantial enough to allow for a stronger protest.

Oh, you probably meant that complaining was the only thing I could do. Yeah, you're probably right. But dagnabit, I like to complain.

As much as it "stinks" it is not, in the end, bad for GU. It enhances their relationship with ESPN to the point where I have people who are amazed at how many times the Zags have been on an ESPN channel already this year. Being seen on ESPN 10+ times only HELPS recruiting.

Also, to further clarify... regardless of conference, conference contracts ALWAYS supersede individual team contracts throughout the NCAA. Much like the NCAA supersedes conference contracts.

LongIslandZagFan
12-02-2009, 12:05 PM
If the Zags play a game at the Spokane Coliseum, are the Zags still considered the "home team" in the ESPN deal, or does that become a neutral site?

If the Zags are hosting whether it be a charity event or scheduled game it is considered a home game. Not sure what the BIS deal is.

NotoriousZ
12-02-2009, 12:26 PM

Can't that change between now and then? Especially with UCLA sucking up the place and Arizona not much better--they could regionalize that game to the southwest and nationalize the Gonzaga/Illinois game.

CDC84
12-02-2009, 12:28 PM
I can tell you that if Gonzaga had their way, there would be more high profile games on FSN-NW. The FSN contract has brought in a ton of money for GU, and the more high profile games FSN gets, the more money GU gets when the contract gets renegotiated. ESPN may give more national exposure, but FSN brings in the money. It is to my understanding that as much as the ESPN exposure helps the program with recruiting and such, the Zags would like to see more balance between the two entities. That won't happen because of the WCC's deal with ESPN.

CDC84
12-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Can't that change between now and then? Especially with UCLA sucking up the place and Arizona not much better--they could regionalize that game to the southwest and nationalize the Gonzaga/Illinois game.

The coverage map can change. For example, originally the Bay Area wasn't supposed to get the UConn/Gonzaga game last season. They were supposed to get Davidson/Purdue. A change was made a week before the game.

ZagNative
12-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Just to add to the thanks to ZagMan In Philly, be aware that he also has uploaded complete Zags games to youTube, so if you miss them live, you can console yourself within a short time after the games by viewing them on YouTube.

Check Palktrans Channel on Youtube for a listing. Games are usually listed in nine-part segments, unless they go overtime, like the Colorado game, which is in 15 segments. If you haven't already done so, I recommend you bookmark the link to his channel below.

Palktrans Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/paulktran#g/u (http://www.youtube.com/user/paulktran#g/u)

Colorado at Maui: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=8D965FC57ED7622D (click the Play All Videos option)

Cinci at Maui: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=6FC02B5349944EDC (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=6FC02B5349944EDC)

Again, all praise and thanks are due to ZagMan In Philly for his extraordinary efforts on behalf of the Zag community!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Emoticons/angel1.gif

MikeGallego
12-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Also, to further clarify... regardless of conference, conference contracts ALWAYS supersede individual team contracts throughout the NCAA. Much like the NCAA supersedes conference contracts.

I understand that. The thing I'm saying is that GU should have done more to make sure the WCC didn't sign the contract.

I also still don't see how this is not a step backwards for Gonzaga. Two seasons ago (as we've already beaten into the ground), every game was available on every TV in every corner of the country that paid for the $5 cable package. Now, even if you pay for that package you get blacked out thanks to the WCC's superseding deal. I remember the whole debate from last season, and FSN revealed that you could still watch their games provided you were within a 10-state region. Considering that before, you could watch them in a 50-state region (plus DC and, I'm assuming, Puerto Rico), we've now got an 80% drop-off in people who can watch GONZAGA games on TV (you know, without a dish). You can't say that's not a step in the wrong direction.
Using ESPN as an argument also seems to be moot because GU games were on ESPN (and WCC games were on Big Monday) before last season's deal was signed.

Regardless, I don't get to watch games, and if it weren't for a stream put over the Internet by an enterprisingly awesome Zag fan, I would be totally blacked out. That, as you might say, "stinks."

ZagNative
12-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Question: Are other conferences and/or schools doing a better job than Gonzaga with the management of their TV rights?

I remember hearing a lot of grumbling by Pac-10 schools, for example, over their deal with Fox Sports, like this story in the Seattle-PI (http://www.seattlepi.com/cbasketball/398426_media03.html) last February.

A story in the Oregonian (http://blog.oregonlive.com/pac10/2009/07/pac10_to_join_forces_with_anot.html) in July this year reported:

Sources close to the ACC, Big 12 and Pac-10 say they will look into the feasibility of a single national channel that would combine the programming of two conferences. Whether that scenario would lead to an ACC/Pac-10 joint venture or a Big 12/Pac-10 partnership remains to be seen.

The ACC's deals with ABC/ESPN and Raycom expire after the 2010 football season and 2010-11 basketball season, while the Pac-10 and Big 12 deals have another year on them.The question is: are any schools/conferences completely satisfied with their TV packages?

NotoriousZ
12-02-2009, 01:18 PM
We need the Gonzaga Channel. All Zags. All the time.

ZagMan in Philly
12-02-2009, 02:19 PM
soon, justin.tv/phillyzag channel will stream nothing but Zags 24 hrs a day....:D

deathchina
12-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Luckily I think Saint Louis is close enough to Illini country that I SHOULD get the illinois game...we'll see though..

zagirl2k
12-02-2009, 03:42 PM
we are able to get the FSN channels (though mainly just care about FSNW) through U-verse as well with their sports pack. just thought I would through that out there in case that was a possibility.

BoltZag
12-02-2009, 04:14 PM

Not worried? :confused:

Can you explain why CBS, who owns the broadcast rights to this game, would allow the Big Ten Network to air it? Why would BTN want to air it? They'll have a full slate of their own games that day.

Under no circumstances will this game air on BTN. It will be regionalized on CBS. All PAC-10 markets, save for the primary GU markets, will receive the UCLA/AZ game. End of story.

ZagLawGrad
12-02-2009, 04:21 PM
As a proud GU Law Grad, and practicing lawyer, I'm thinking of launching a Class Action (pro bono, of course) for all our fellow GU Brethren over this lack of TV outside the area----it's just not right. And imagine if we could get a judge who is a GU alum....