PDA

View Full Version : Is tonight's game the third biggest of the season?

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-02-2009, 08:50 AM
We all knew coming into this season that Michigan State and Duke would be Top 10 teams and likely Final Four contenders. We also believed that the likes of Oklahoma, Illinois, Davidson, Wake Forest, and the entire Maui Invitational field would be marquee games against marquee competition.

Now that the season is almost a month old, Illinois, Oklahoma, and Davidson look to be very average teams. Wake Forest does not seem to have found their identity, yet.

On the other hand, WSU is 6-0 and won the Great Alaska Shootout. They appear to be one of the top three teams in the PAC-10 and might be the best team in that entire conference. This matchup against the Cougs is starting to look like a much bigger resume builder for the Zags, especially if they win.

When we look back on this season in March, will the Coug's game be the third biggest nonconference game of the year?

LongIslandZagFan
12-02-2009, 08:52 AM
We all knew coming into this season that Michigan State and Duke would be Top 10 teams and likely Final Four contenders. We also believed that the likes of Oklahoma, Illinois, Davidson, Wake Forest, and the entire Maui Invitational field would be marquee games against marquee competition.

Now that the season is almost a month old, Illinois, Oklahoma, and Davidson look to be very average teams. Wake Forest does not seem to have found their identity, yet.

On the other hand, WSU is 6-0 and won the Great Alaska Shootout. They appear to be one of the top three teams in the PAC-10 and might be the best team in that entire conference. This matchup against the Cougs is starting to look like a much bigger resume builder for the Zags, especially if they win.

When we look back on this season in March, will the Coug's game be the third biggest nonconference game of the year?

Outside of USD, who have the Cougs really played? Just askin'.

titopoet
12-02-2009, 09:03 AM

Nope, WSU maybe the best team in the once powerful, but suddenly pathetic PAC-10, but Cincinnati will be bigger scalp than WSU when it all said and done. Badgers may also be bigger win as well. Don't forget Memphis still in the wings. A Pac 10 scalp maybe seen as good as a Mountain West, C-USA or Missouri Valley scalp. Good win, but nothing to crow about.

hoopster777
12-02-2009, 09:03 AM

Oklahoma and Wake Forest are NBA talented teams. They are still likely NCAA bound. WSU is one big shot and a bunch of average players at best. The only reason WSU might make it to the dance this year is because the Pac is so down. And no way is WSU the best team in the Pac 10 either. At best they are the 4th best, at worst they are the 8th best. Cal, UW, and it appears Arizona State are all better.

007Zag
12-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Don't think so. Most important non-conference games will probably still be Mich St., Duke, and Cincinatti. Then Memphis, who looked really good from what I saw in their game against Kansas, and Wisconsin. And while I think WSU will be tougher this week than Wake, I still think Wake will be a bigger win looking back in March once they've melded better over the course of the season.

And that's assuming OK and Illinois continue to under-perform.

Wow, looking over those names, our OOC is loaded.

CDC84
12-02-2009, 09:17 AM
I also think Illinois, if they can get more consistent PG guard play, will find their way into the dance.

Reborn
12-02-2009, 09:27 AM
I also think Illinois, if they can get more consistent PG guard play, will find their way into the dance.

This is a huge game because it's on the road. If you don't know how tough it is to win on the road ask Michigan St., North Carolina, Wake Forest...on and on goes the list. I'm glad the Zags already have some road wins, and even one road loss where we played better than almost any other team I've seen lose on the road.

gamagin
12-02-2009, 09:30 AM
until tomorrow. Then it's the next one. and so on.

Go TEAM Zags !

Rbo
12-02-2009, 10:52 AM
I would throw the two Portland games into the mix, especially if they beat the Chickens at HecEd.

1973Zag
12-02-2009, 11:07 AM
don't overlook Illinois just yet.-in Chicago-after flying cross country with less than 48 hrs. rest from a physical OK. game. The Illini are also young, but their younguns are very highly rated. hope they don't gel till after Jan 2. Last visit to the United Center was a disaster. We can/should win, but it will be a tough win.

Zagtana
12-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Understand what you are getting at in your post. WSU may well be the third most important game the Zags play, but, since the game is tonight, the Coug game is for now number one, most important, just as the Wake game will be come Sat., and so on.

NotoriousZ
12-02-2009, 12:51 PM
I would throw the two Portland games into the mix, especially if they beat the Chickens at HecEd.

+1. Maybe throw in the SMC games as well.

thebigsmoove
12-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Yeah Portland is now 25th in the AP, they are a very solid team this year with Marquee wins over Oregon, UCLA, and Minnesota already, im honestly sweating our Road game with the Pilots...

bartruff1
12-02-2009, 01:31 PM
I believe the question was concerning "non conference".