PDA

View Full Version : WCC passes Pac-10 as west's best

Zagtana
12-02-2009, 05:37 AM
Has the WCC surpassed the Pac-10 as the best conference in the west? Could be, says the Seattle PI.
http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlesports/archives/186899.asp

bartruff1
12-02-2009, 06:58 AM
I doubt it...I would wait till the end of the year to make that judgement... but...they are definitely showing early season improvements...to soon to tell.

rijman
12-02-2009, 07:12 AM
If the WCC is going to pass the Pac 10 this is the year. GU top 20 and the Pilots ranked for the first time in 50 years while the Pac 10 is the worst it's been in 25-30 years according to Lavin.

I am interested to see if the Pac 10 improves and how many NCAA bids they'll get. Will they get more than the WCC?

willandi
12-02-2009, 07:30 AM
Should be even more clear after we beat the Cougs and the Fuskies lose to Texas Tech, on the road.

Psychozag
12-02-2009, 07:32 AM
From what I've seen, I think the Pilots have a good chance of beating the Huskies at home.

webspinnre
12-02-2009, 07:43 AM
I wouldn't say that we've surpassed them - that implies long-term dominance. However, it does appear that at this point in the season we're the better conference, at least at the top.

CDC84
12-02-2009, 07:56 AM
It's too early to tell, but my gut feeling says that in the end, the Pac 10 will have as many or more NCAA bids than the WCC will.

After the 76 Classic, Coach Reveno at Portland pointed out that while the game at UW is important, what's even more important for the Pilots is to not have slip ups against teams they are supposed to beat. Portland, St. Mary's and USD are only going to be playing 4 BCS teams the rest of the way combined (5 if SMC plays USC later this month in a tournament), and only 2 of those BCS teams are any good (UW and Mississippi State). There isn't much of a margin for error.

cbbfanatic
12-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Pac ten is still a stronger conference top to bottom, better athletes. From an rpi standpoint though, they are digging themselves a deep hole with a terrible ooc win pct.

The conference should get back to middle of the pack high major within a couple yrs.

That this argument is even being made is a significant indictment on west coast hoops in general. Kinda makes those that use the phrase "east coast bias" in regards to college basketball look a little ridiculous. East coast track record, yes. Bias, not so much

Nevtelen
12-02-2009, 09:39 AM
That this argument is even being made is a significant indictment on west coast hoops in general. Kinda makes those that use the phrase "east coast bias" in regards to college basketball look a little ridiculous. East coast track record, yes. Bias, not so much

That's definitely true of this year. But the Pac-10 has more first rounders than any other conference over the past few years IIRC. In good years for the Pac-10, there is definitely some bias going on. Just this year it happens to fit because the conference is terrible. Sort The bias worked for the SEC last season - analysts were still talking up the SEC like they were actually decent into February. That's certainly not happening with the Pac-10 this season.

I think the Pac-10 is still the better conference, but I think the top of the WCC very well might be better than the top of the Pac-10 this season. The Pac-10 will still probably get as many or more teams into the NCAAs. The LMU win notwithstanding, the bottom of the WCC is much worse than the bottom of the Pac-10.