PDA

View Full Version : WCC-A10 challenge very near

Section 116
12-01-2009, 03:25 PM
It's only a few sentences from a Katz article but I'm in favor. Much good basketball played in the A10.

Katz: Why are commissioners in the West Coast Conference and the Atlantic 10 about to lock in on a challenge for 2010 and beyond?
Why?
Well, it works.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=4700557

CDC84
12-01-2009, 03:55 PM
If it does happen, several A-10 teams will be left out. There are 14 teams in the A-10 right now.

Section 116
12-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Yeah, kind of like the Big Ten, oops Eleven. LOL!

BobZag
12-01-2009, 04:25 PM
A-10 teams could rotate on a yearly basis, or some WCC teams could play more than one A-10 team, ala Big-12/Pac-10. Just an idea.

Xavier and Dayton would be two nice opponents this year, for example.

gueastcoast
12-01-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm far too lazy (and stupid) to find it, but I am pretty sure I proposed this here last year. I'm glad the respective commissioners read the boards and have acted on my recommendation ;)

JHG722
12-01-2009, 06:42 PM
How's it goin guys? We heard about this on our board, too, and the possibility of playing you guys is very exciting. You have a fantastic program, and I've really enjoyed watching the Zags play in the Tourney over the last few years.

-Jeff
Temple U

willandi
12-01-2009, 06:46 PM
How's it goin guys? We heard about this on our board, too, and the possibility of playing you guys is very exciting. You have a fantastic program, and I've really enjoyed watching the Zags play in the Tourney over the last few years.

-Jeff
Temple U

Welcome. I hope this works out too. Its always nice to find OOC that are willing to play, and a challenge as well.

Nevtelen
12-01-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm totally fine with this from a GU perspective - lots of great mid-major ball in the A-10 and it fits reasonably well with some of the high-major trips GU has for the next couple of seasons geographically (Illinois again in a couple of seasons and WF next year I presume). I think it's an even better deal for the other good teams in the WCC like Portland and SMC this year who clearly have a really hard time getting good teams to play them.

kitzbuel
12-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Maybe GU could swing a double header in Philly; Temple and St Joes.

JHG722
12-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Welcome. I hope this works out too. Its always nice to find OOC that are willing to play, and a challenge as well.

Thanks. And yeah, we always play a tough OOC schedule. John Chaney always said play anyone, anytime, anywhere, so we've always abided by that. We already played @ GTown and we have Villanova and Kansas coming to our arena.

I would love to play you guys at the Liacouras Center. Our student section would be absolutely amped (like we were when Tennessee came here last year and we won). Also because it would be easier than flying to WA lol. You dont want to play @ SJU. It's a dump and they're trash :D

Go Owls.

WestsideZag2424
12-01-2009, 09:08 PM
I love that this sounds like it'll happen. I've been thinking this should happen for awhile. From Gonzaga's scheduling standpoint, I don't think it will make too big of a difference considering we're already playing some of the best teams in the nation during non-conference play. The reason I'm so excited about this is that it will help get exposure (and hopefully some wins) for the rest of the conference.

MBZags
12-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Lovely. Maybe Gonzaga will finally play Dayton. I'd be pumped for that.

sittingon50
12-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Can you please provide a link to your message board?

Thanks.

JHG722
12-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Owlscoop.com
Basketballforum (then, A10 section)

sittingon50
12-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Thanks.

CB4
12-02-2009, 11:58 AM
What impact, if any, will this have on the upcoming Xavier-Gonzaga series? I can't imagine the Zags playing them twice in the same year. I guess it happened last year with Tennessee, although that was in tournament play.

CDC84
12-02-2009, 01:26 PM
I would think the Gonzaga/Xavier series would just be a part of it. As far as I know, a date hasn't be set yet for the Xavier game next season.

If this challenge comes about, I am glad it is happening with the A-10 as opposed to the WAC, Big West or some league like that. There are enough good teams in the A-10 to make the thing worthwhile for the Zags. The last thing Gonzaga wants to be doing is playing on the home floor of some Big West school with a 250+ RPI.

JHG722
12-02-2009, 02:43 PM
I would think the Gonzaga/Xavier series would just be a part of it. As far as I know, a date hasn't be set yet for the Xavier game next season.

If this challenge comes about, I am glad it is happening with the A-10 as opposed to the WAC, Big West or some league like that. There are enough good teams in the A-10 to make the thing worthwhile for the Zags. The last thing Gonzaga wants to be doing is playing on the home floor of some Big West school with a 250+ RPI.

Yeah, we're usually #7 after the 6 BCS conferences. I think we've been better than some BCS conferences over the last few years.

hoopster777
12-02-2009, 04:27 PM
I don't like the idea too much if its not Xavier. And no offense to the Temple fan, but Temple is one of those programs that is not quite a bubble NCAA team (had to get in to the tourny via the conference tournament) but is good enough to knock the top teams off. I see no advantage in playing Temple, or even Dayton. Xavier is nationally recognized as an excellent basketball program. Temple isn't the same Temple as they used to be and Dayton is not as nationally recognized. From Gonzaga's perspective, the Xavier game is the only one worth going for.

Although I wouldn't mind Temple or Dayton coming every once in a while for the Battle in Seattle. Sure are better matchups then Davidson. Just don't like the idea of us traveling to the East Coast for a trap game.

hoopster777
12-02-2009, 04:30 PM

If we are going to bother traveling to Philly I'd rather us play Villanova.

JHG722
12-02-2009, 05:26 PM
I don't like the idea too much if its not Xavier. And no offense to the Temple fan, but Temple is one of those programs that is not quite a bubble NCAA team (had to get in to the tourny via the conference tournament) but is good enough to knock the top teams off. I see no advantage in playing Temple, or even Dayton. Xavier is nationally recognized as an excellent basketball program. Temple isn't the same Temple as they used to be and Dayton is not as nationally recognized. From Gonzaga's perspective, the Xavier game is the only one worth going for.

Wow, I don't know where to start with this. I'm not looking to fight (especially on someone else's board)

-True, we're not as good as we once were, however, we're one of the more recognizable programs after the IUs, KUs, UKs, Dukes, Cuses, UConns, UCLAs. Certainly as much so (if not more) than Xavier.

-"Not quite a bubble team"? What? That's certainly not true. We play one of the toughest schedules in the country, as evident by our RPI and SOS year in and year out. If not for our MAC slate as agreed on for them allowing us to be a football only member, it would be even tougher. We're always up there if we dont win the A10 (which lately, we're very good at winning)

I dont want to say show some respect, but um, yeah...

Go Owls :confused: