PDA

View Full Version : A Potential Transfer Emerges

BobZag
12-01-2009, 01:58 PM
http://ucla.scout.com/2/925093.html

Drew Gordon, the sophomore post player, is no longer a member of the UCLA basketball team and will transfer, according to UCLA.
Coach Ben Howland discussed it today at his weekly press conference.

"After several discussions with Drew, we both have decided that it is in the best interest of our program and Drew that he continues his career at another school," Howland said. "He is no longer a member of our team and will transfer at the end of the quarter.

"This is not a spur of the moment decision and, ultimately, it's what's best for all parties."

So the question is: Should Gonzaga pursue this highly rated PF, or not? He'd have 2.5 years of eligibility, according to my calculations, if he were to transfer after first semester.

75Zag
12-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Would need to know why Gordon is leaving UCLA. His recruiting stats looked pretty good. As down as UCLA is this year, why are they passing on a talented (on paper at least) player? Head case? Discipline problem? Homesick?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

MississppiZag
12-01-2009, 02:03 PM
If he is wanting lots of playing time and a starting position, GU wouldn't be the best situation. If he wants to wait his turn and help off of the bench, then sure.

Good luck to him.

CDC84
12-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Sacre
Harris
Dower
Olynyk

I don't see where he fits. I could care less about where he was rated coming out of HS. That's over now.

theothegreat21
12-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Sacre
Harris
Dower
Olynyk

I don't see where he fits.

Move Olynyk back to his natural SF position...have a post rotation of Harris, Sacre, Dower, Gordon :D

zag67
12-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Do not forget that Robert may go pro after next year. Also Harris may be thinking of this. If that is a high possibility and they can find out why he is leaving, then I think he would be an option. But remember, he would have to pay his own way for the rest of this year.

JohnOGU
12-01-2009, 02:19 PM
depending on the reason he is leaving, i would absolutely take him.

Baldwinzag
12-01-2009, 02:35 PM
If he's sincerely interested in becoming a Zag, I say give him a chance. Gordon would only add to our depth in the frontcourt, but he'd have to be OK in accepting a bench role at GU. No way he starts or plays in front of Sacre or Harris.

All that said, I remember Drew nearly committed to Kentucky out of high school, so maybe Coach Cal is pulling some strings on this one? Who knows...

Either way, best of luck to him & his future endeavors.

CDC84
12-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Keep in mind that GU needs 3 available schoolies for 2011 (Bell, a wing like Dranginis and Wiltjer), and that Kong, Arop and Gibbs will be competing for time at the 3 next season.....

Section 116
12-01-2009, 02:42 PM
From The Slipper Still Fits:

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2009/12/1/1181312/i-am-drooling-drew-gordon-to

BobZag
12-01-2009, 02:42 PM
He couldn't play (per NCAA rules) till next late- to mid-December. From what I've gathered, he and Howland didn't see eye to eye, I'll leave it at that.

In my experience, transfers "usually" transfer closer to home. That would bode well for SCU, SMC, USF and other Bay Area schools. There are exceptions but it's kinda rare that transfers don't move back near home.

Baldwinzag
12-01-2009, 02:48 PM
In my experience, transfers "usually" transfer closer to home. That would bode well for SCU, SMC, USF and other Bay Area schools. There are exceptions but it's kinda rare that transfers don't move back near home.

What about Cal? I recall Gordon visiting Berkeley during the recruitment process and they seem to be much improved this year. I suppose any North Cal school is an option for Drew to land...

I predict a school such as Cal or Kentucky for a likely destination.

hooter73
12-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Could GU use him, sure, will they persue - No. I dont know the specifics and would like to but a scoring PF would be a welcome addition off the bench in my mind. I think if he was to join the ranks we would probably see one of our own transfer out though.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-01-2009, 02:52 PM
I'm not understanding the position that Drew Gordon might not fit with the pieces the Zags already have. I don't think a program should pass on an elite player simply because it already has a loaded roster. If that were the case, UNC would only have to recruit players once every four years. I think the better strategy is to load up on talent and worry about PT issues afterwords.

USF
12-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Drew Gordon was very highly rated out of HS (Archbishop Mitty in San Jose) because he is so mature physically. He was 6'8" as a HS soph and was never a skinny kid. He has had an NBA ready body since he was 16. However, I saw him play both in HS and in the San Francisco Pro Summer League and he has not really developed as a player, especially on offense. But that could be because he was playing out of position. He is very athletic, though, and can really rebound and block shots.

Angelo Caloiaro (USF) and Colin Chiverton (transferred from St. Mary's) were HS teammates. Not sure if he would be interested in USF. San Jose State has a decent program now and they have attracted a lot of good transfers in recent years.

Kiddwell
12-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Let's at least keep him in the WCC.

:]

Tmac5360
12-01-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm probably out of the loop here but was GU in his top 5 or 10? What gives the idea that he wants to be at GU? I don't think you can ever have to many great players. I think there is much more chance that Harris goes to the league early rather than Rob. BTW watching Gordon in the 76 classic he did not WOW me. However that team is really not very good.

CB4
12-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Let's at least keep him in the WCC.

Are you kidding? The last thing the Zags need is for Portland to get this guy. If he's going to play in the WCC it better be with Gonzaga.

NEC26
12-01-2009, 03:42 PM
I don't see the need for another post player. Dower is redshirting and will be in the rotation next year were would he fit in? I for one don't see Sacre going pro next year either(not saying it cant happen I just don't see it). Plus from what I have seen he is an excellent athlete who cant hit anything but a dunk or layup and even that is questionable.

xjzico
12-01-2009, 03:47 PM
What about Cal? I recall Gordon visiting Berkeley during the recruitment process and they seem to be much improved this year. I suppose any North Cal school is an option for Drew to land...

Pac10 transfer rules used to be pretty tough on guys moving schools inter-conference. Could bode well for a WCC team, say one an hour away from San Jose with a head coach who might have recruited Gordon to UCLA?

zagfan08
12-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Absolutely take him if he's interested.

asoc
12-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Wasn't there a thread talking about how Elias would play the 3 in the NBA and thus would need to work on those skills and get playing time at that position?

d2zag
12-01-2009, 05:28 PM
a true Zag?? I think that's something to think about here. Is he a good teammate? Is he not just looking for a stepping stone to the NBA?

Los Gatos Zag
12-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Mitty is in San Jose, Santa Clara University is right next door.

CB4
12-01-2009, 05:40 PM
a true Zag?? I think that's something to think about here. Is he a good teammate? Is he not just looking for a stepping stone to the NBA?

With all due respect I don't like this way of thinking. Occasionally Gonzaga will recruit a player who has problems beyond the university's control, i.e. Theo Davis. The school has a great program in place both on the court and in the classroom that enables determined athletes to succeed. Obviously some players have serious issues and are red flags for a school like GU, but the majority of athletes will succeed at Gonzaga. Why? Because of the people involved at GU, the location of the school, the curriculum the athletes must fulfill and the coaching staff. It's no fluke that there has only been a few major issue regarding student-athletes, which have been dealt with in the most professional manner possible. Also, I hope all of the Zags want Gonzaga to be a stepping stone for the NBA. I don't think that is a bad thing.

theothegreat21
12-01-2009, 06:50 PM

Please define True Zag

dim4sum
12-01-2009, 07:05 PM
PF is the one position we are deep in. Who is this Gordon anyway? More likely the schism between Gordon and Howland came about because he didn't want to spend serious minutes playing defense and not because of anything personal. He's one of these limelight or no light guys and would be a poor fit with the Zags as they are now molded, i.e., tough D and team orientation.
I've heard that Sacre's father has been pressing him to stick around for a degree. Hope he listens, giving us three full years of prosperity in the paint.
So we don't need Gordon.

VinnyZag
12-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Please define True Zag

From what I've been able to gather, for a lot of people the only "True Zag" is David Pendegraft.

ID ZAGFAN
12-01-2009, 07:16 PM
From what I've been able to gather, for a lot of people the only "True Zag" is David Pendegraft.

+1

ID ZAGFAN

WyoZag
12-01-2009, 07:40 PM
http://ucla.scout.com/2/925093.html

So the question is: Should Gonzaga pursue this highly rated PF, or not? He'd have 2.5 years of eligibility, according to my calculations, if he were to transfer after first semester.

BZ, wouldn't this situation be similar to Micah's? Since he has already played in all of UCLA's contests this year, he would only have two years of eligibility left. If this is the case, he would only have 1.5 of actual court time. I could be way off base here, but don't see how Gooden's situation is any different.

Zag4Hire
12-01-2009, 07:44 PM
I would just be concerned that he seemed to believe he was on the same playing level as Holliday when initially signing onto UCLA and I think he would be looking for a showcase position on a team. I could easliy see him signing on with Santa Clara. Does he have to wait longer if he goes to the Pac-10? I thought if you transferred within the same conference, you had to wait longer. I see him in the potential range as a Josh Akognon leaving WSU a couple years back. UCLA will recover.

FlyZag
12-01-2009, 07:51 PM
ESPN reports that he is transfering due to a negative energy in the locker room and conduct detrimental to the team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4705019

d2zag
12-01-2009, 07:53 PM
ESPN reports that he is transfering due to a negative energy in the locker room and conduct detrimental to the team.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Jedster
12-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Does he have to wait longer if he goes to the Pac-10? I thought if you transferred within the same conference, you had to wait longer.

I think if he goes to the Pac-10 he has to sit out two years, not the one.

This was interesting from the Katz article.

"A possible destination could be San Diego State. Gordon would likely fall to a Mountain West destination unless a WCC school is willing to take a gamble on him."

Better do your homework on this before you take on chance on him. Is it situational and a situation where he didn't get along with the coach (vice versa) or is this going to follow him?

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-01-2009, 08:30 PM
From the ESPN article...

He was not viewed as having positive energy in the locker room.

With a 2-4 record, including two real bad losses, I doubt if Gordon was the only one exhibiting less than positive energy in the locker room. Let's not label Gordon as some sort of bad seed based on one unnamed source. Don't get me wrong; I'm a HUGE fan of Andy Katz, but if his source was someone at UCLA, then he or she would have a motive to point the finger at Gordon and make him look like the bad guy.

Edited to add: Howland has a solid track record of recruiting good kids.

dawgfather11
12-01-2009, 08:51 PM
I had thought the pac-10 had done away with the 2yr rule but not 100% sure, UW finished 2nd for Gordon the first time around but from what we hear from the bruins on our pay site he is a big prima donna so not sure romar would take him. I think he will unltimately end up on a mwc or wcc team

WestsideZag2424
12-01-2009, 09:00 PM
I was thinking about this ever since I heard the news too. I'm just not sure if I'd want him. No doubt he's skilled, you pretty much have to be to go to UCLA. But the one thing I keep thinking about is that I truly feel we're a better team this year than we would have been if Austin had come back. Not to knock on Austin, but I can't stand guys that complain about calls and stuff like that, and Austin did that non-stop. From the sounds of it Gordon could have some similar issues...

bigparb
12-01-2009, 09:03 PM
The only reason GU shouldn't be interested in Gordon is if Few/Rice/Ray G have a problem w/his attitude or if he doesn't fit with the guys on a visit (remember, they have said NO in the past)............SHORT OF THIS....the STFits guys are right on this one.......you don't pass on stockpiling big man talent....besides....harris/Kelly both want to morph to hybrid 3/4 guys....

Bring Gordon on......here's one GU fan who's arms are wide open......come on up to SpoCompton Drew!!!!

:clap:

Nevtelen
12-01-2009, 09:14 PM
My guess is that he ends up at one of the MWC schools that have sucked up a lot of big-time transfers recently, like NM St (who could probably really use him this season) or SDSU; Katz practically speculates as much.

If GU does have a shot/interest in him, I think Few and Co would pretty much have the ace up their sleeve if he came to GU. He really couldn't transfer again and expect to play, so he'd have to buy into the program if he wanted to get onto the court. If he wanted to come and the players are fine with it, why not?

MDABE80
12-01-2009, 09:20 PM
The circumstances of his departure may not help if it's just attitude. He seems to be a high energy high flyer who thrives on the run and dunk....WHO wouldn'tbe a bit negative with this current record at UCLA. Ben's very conservative though...Few would have to talk to Ben.

I would never discount a player because we have some other good ones. KO might not even be in that spot for the next few years. Say , for example, if Rob, Elias and Sam are needing another.... why wouldn't we have this kid if he's THAT good? We would.!

Lets see what happens.... might just be a bad fit in the southland. He has talent galore...might be the Zag fever and want to be in Spokane. We do take troubled kids ya know...

Kiddwell
12-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Are you kidding? The last thing the Zags need is for Portland to get this guy. If he's going to play in the WCC it better be with Gonzaga.

Kiddwell at times, well, kids. But not even close this time. What's good for the WCC (higher profile players, stiffer competition) in the long run is good for GU. Mark Few was talking in his latest show about the improved RPI he expects from playing conference games this year (as contrasted with the normal deep drop-off for GU's RPI once WCC play begins). Why an improved RPI? Because conference teams have upped their talent.

If GU isn't afraid of playing topnotch competition outside of conference, why on earth would we be intimidated by, say, Portland upping its talent? Bring it on.

Yes, get this kid (if it works out for a squad other than GU) and other topnotch players into the WCC. Of course, reserve the Best of the Best for GU.

CB4
12-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Kiddwell at times, well, kids. But not even close this time. What's good for the WCC (higher profile players, stiffer competition) in the long run is good for GU. Mark Few was talking in his latest show about the improved RPI he expects from playing conference games this year (as contrasted with the normal deep drop-off for GU's RPI once WCC play begins). Why an improved RPI? Because conference teams have upped their talent.

If GU isn't afraid of playing topnotch competition outside of conference, why on earth would we be intimidated by, say, Portland upping its talent? Bring it on.

Yes, get this kid (if it works out for a squad other than GU) and other topnotch players into the WCC. Of course, reserve the Best of the Best for GU.

I'm all for that. I agree, better WCC = better GU program, TV coverage, recruits, RPI, sponsors, etc. etc.

The Bruins are one of the teams I follow religiously so I am fairly familiar with Gordon. I think he has potential and would be a great addition for Gonzaga, even if we are loaded up front. If he is seriously looking at coming to the WCC, geographical assumptions aside, he will be looking at transferring into the best school possible. That would be Gonzaga. So, hypothetically speaking, we would have to pass on him for him to go to another school in the WCC. I think he'd match up pretty good against Harris and KO for sure. This addition would help a strong Portland team in the next few years. Passing on him could come back to haunt Gonzaga. That being said, I'm not implying that we should take him so UP or whoever can't, that'd simply be foolish.

zagsfanforlife
12-02-2009, 02:26 AM
Living in the LA area i see a good majority of UCLA games. Let me tell you Zags fans, no matter how much depth we have in our front line for the upcoming years, Drew Gordon is someone we want. He is an absolute beast and imo the best player on that UCLA squad. Great athleticism, strong kid, and would have 2.5 years of eligibility. Lets get him Few!

Crazy
12-02-2009, 03:10 AM
PF is the one position we are deep in. Who is this Gordon anyway? More likely the schism between Gordon and Howland came about because he didn't want to spend serious minutes playing defense and not because of anything personal. He's one of these limelight or no light guys and would be a poor fit with the Zags as they are now molded, i.e., tough D and team orientation.
I've heard that Sacre's father has been pressing him to stick around for a degree. Hope he listens, giving us three full years of prosperity in the paint.
So we don't need Gordon.

short time before the deep diddn't sound pretty deep, when it goes about Harris chanche to play the three which will definately the best for him. So i see space for a good four.

MickMick
12-02-2009, 03:45 AM
Seems to me Micah fit in nicely and there was a lot of similar speculation about him coming in. I think Gordon was the best player on UCLA this season.

I would prefer one of the high profile bigs on the radar though.

Zagpower
12-02-2009, 05:44 AM
Living in the LA area i see a good majority of UCLA games. Let me tell you Zags fans, no matter how much depth we have in our front line for the upcoming years, Drew Gordon is someone we want. He is an absolute beast and imo the best player on that UCLA squad. Great athleticism, strong kid, and would have 2.5 years of eligibility. Lets get him Few!

+1

Watched a couple UCLA games and spent most of the games thinking "Wow, these guys are horrible!". The exception was Drew Gordon who is an NBA type athlete and really stood out to me as the Bruins most talented player. He's still raw, but his upside is off the charts.

I'd leave attitude questions to Few, Lloyd etc. Who knows what's going on in that lockerroom right now. The pressure on Howland must be huge when you can almost pick your recruits and then have them play so poorly.

hoopster777
12-02-2009, 06:45 AM
Take him in a heartbeat if he wants to come. He will be the natural backup for Sacre/Harris next year if both are still around. If one of them leaves he starts immediately. This guy is twice the talent of our frontcourt bench.

7ICoug
12-02-2009, 06:49 AM

Can't most likely go to a Pac-10 school as the sit out rules I believe are not very kind. So perhaps somewhere else. How about LB

NotoriousZ
12-02-2009, 07:06 AM
If he wants to come here, I think it will happen. But I haven't heard a thing about him wanting to come here, so good luck to him wherever he goes.

Sounds to me like he just wants a shot at a national championship. (Give us a look Gordon!)

originalcalzag
12-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Here is an article I read from the Merc this morning. Based on the article, he might just fit into our system as he is more of a transition player.

Cal

http://www.mercurynews.com/high-school-sports

Hextall7388
12-02-2009, 08:59 AM
There is an ESPN report that Drew Gordon has had a 'mutual parting' from UCLA, and that he may be heading to a team in the Mountain West or WCC. If he is limited to those two conferences, one would think Gonzaga has to be one of his top choices. The question is, would Gonzaga take a guy that has had some 'conduct' issues?

I'm not sure how long he would have to sit because of the mid-year transfer, but I'd be interested to know what interest, if any, Gonzaga would have in him. He clearly has the size and skill to play at the college level and perhaps beyond, but the question marks on this guy seem to focus on his head and his heart. Gonzaga stuck with Josh, and his turnaround as both a player and a person was impressive, and I have to believe that Few and the staff played a positive role in that. Would/should Gonzaga take a chance on someone like Gordon?

I have to admit, with so many younsters on this team who are starting to learn the ropes, I'd be concerned about the kind of influence Gordon might have on them. On the other hand, a 6'8 235 pound skilled 4/5 would sure look good out on the floor with Sacre and Harris next year. Thoughts?

Sorry, I had trouble attaching the link...this is the best I could do.

Hextall7388
12-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Missed seeing Bobzag's earlier post. Sorry.

Vizagra
12-02-2009, 11:47 AM
I say if he wants to come to GU lets do it. We have had 2 transfers go further away from home - Dickau and Knight. Albeit, just a couple hundred miles away, but it is further from where they initially were.

Also, you have to be prepared that after next year, Sacre and Harris are very, very, realistically both gone. Barring injuries, Sacre continues to do what he is doing and Harris makes a Frosh to Soph jump like many GU kids do, NBA early exits for both is a high probablity. That slims down our front line. We could really use a big body in a couple years.

NotoriousZ
12-02-2009, 12:47 PM
...The question is, would Gonzaga take a guy that has had some 'conduct' issues?

...Would/should Gonzaga take a chance on someone like Gordon?

I have to admit, with so many younsters on this team who are starting to learn the ropes, I'd be concerned about the kind of influence Gordon might have on them. On the other hand, a 6'8 235 pound skilled 4/5 would sure look good out on the floor with Sacre and Harris next year. Thoughts?

That Micah Downs kid had some personal issues at Kansas, and he turned his life around at GU--and the Zags definitely benifitted as well. I think we could find room for Gordon in a year+. If Sacre or Harris (or both--ouch!) go to the NBA next year, Gordon would fill a HUGE hole for us.

thebigsmoove
12-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Top choices would appear to be

1. San Diego State
2. San Diego
3. Santa Clara
4. San Francisco
5. San Jose State

I don't think he is even considering Gonzaga, but we can dream...