PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Prospect Kyle Dranginis May Attend te WF Game?

ZagNative
12-01-2009, 01:53 PM
That's what I hear. Hope we make a good impression on the young point guard. Keep a lookout for him:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/2011%20Recruits/Dranginis/2009-08-01KyleDranginis.jpg

Vital Stats:

Hometown Nampa, ID
High School Skyview High School
Height 6'4"
Weight 165 lbs.

Recent News: A November 29 story from Treasure Valley Sports.com (http://www.idahopress.com/sections/treasurevalleysports/page.php?action=article&cat=all&articleid=28137):

Timberline 60, Skyview 58

BOISE Three Timberline players recorded double digit scoring outputs, offsetting a big game for Skyview's Kyle Dranginis in the teams' season opener.

Dranginis had 25 points (10-of-14 FG, 5-of-8 3-pointers) to go along with five assists and six rebounds. Terrell Rowe scored 19 points for the Hawks (0-1).

Previous guboards thread about Kyle (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=444257#post444257)

ESPN Eval (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=101459&season=2011):

August, 2009: Drainginis has very good size for the point guard spot. His size allows him to see over the defense to find open teammates for easy scoring chances. He understands how to get a smaller, quicker guard on his hip and keep him in jail, backing the quicker guard down for better looks at the basket for himself or for teammates. He has range that extends out to the 3-point line on the jumper, but his thin frame sometimes allows defenders to knock him off his path when he tries to get to the bucket. He also has a decent handle for a bigger guard.

July, 2009: One of the revelations on the national travel-ball circuit this summer, Drainginis has all of the skills needed to be recruited by elite-level college programs. He can explode by defenders off the dribble with either hand and with equal aplomb. He has a high-octane release on his jump shot with range at and beyond the 3-point arc. His vision and willingness to give the ball up without over-handling it gives credence to the thought that point guard will be his ultimate college position. His biggest shortcoming right now is strength.

Skyview's December Schedule from MaxPreps (http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/uWDeRcdsNEeP345NKNXO3A/skyview-hawks/basketball/schedule.htm): MaxPreps shows the games listed below upcoming for Kyle. It would be neat if some Boise-area Zags could attend any of the games (there's one tonight!) and report back to us.

12/1/2009 7:30 PM @ Meridian (Meridian, ID)
12/2/2009 7:30 PM vs. Borah (Boise, ID)
12/4/2009 7:30 PM vs. Boise (Boise, ID)
12/11/2009 7:30 PM vs. Twin Falls (Twin Falls, ID)
12/12/2009 After JV vs. Minico (Rupert, ID)
12/15/2009 7:30 PM @ Emmett (Emmett, ID) *
12/18/2009 7:30 PM @ Middleton (Middleton, ID)

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Great stuff, as usual, ZN! Hopefully Kyle sees the career that Matt Bouldin is having at Gonzaga and says to himself, 'That could be me.' Seems like those guys have similar tools.

ZagNative
12-01-2009, 02:12 PM
I liked this, from that ESPN eval:
He understands how to get a smaller, quicker guard on his hip and keep him in jail, backing the quicker guard down for better looks at the basket for himself or for teammates.I'd almost think he was at that Skyview/Pocatello game where this pic was shot:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/2011%20Recruits/Dranginis/2009-08-22KyleDranginisSkyviewPocat.jpg

I don't know if that other player is quicker, but he's definitely smaller, and he's definitely on Kyle's hip!

BobZag
12-01-2009, 02:13 PM
This kid is a personal favorite of mine. He reminds me a bit of Blake Stepp and Matt Bouldin with a little Derek Raivio. I bought two DVDs of Skyview games last year when he was a soph, and I must say I was impressed by what I saw.

As a freshman he shot 46% from 3pt land and as a soph he shot 40%. Overall he shot 55% last season from the field which would be all shots, 3's included. He averaged 5.6 assists per game. In two different state tournaments (frosh and soph) he was in double figures all six games. Last March at state, game #1: 14 points, 10 assists, 6 boards. Game #2: 16 points, 5 assists, 6 boards and the Championship game: 18 points, 6 assists and 5 boards, not to mention averaging 3 steals a game in the tournament. So he averaged 16 points, 7 assists and 6 boards. He was 9-16 from beyond the arc in the State Tourney. He only shot 34 times in the tournament. In the final game 6-9 shooting overall and 3-4 from downtown. Not bad for a soph. Like I said, I was impressed with his overall game on those DVDs.

El Voce
12-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Go Nampa!

maynard g krebs
12-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Bob, given a choice btw. Dranginis and Pangos, who would you take?

BobZag
12-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Bob, given a choice btw. Dranginis and Pangos, who would you take?

Different types of players. Pangos is a pure PG who can score. Dranginis can play PG, SG, Wing. Pangos is 6'0" in shoes. Dranginis is 6'5" and still growing. I will say, those two sure would make a dynamic backcourt if the staff doesn't get Bell. Dranginis and Bell would be superb together, imo. Pangos may be 2012, too.

maynard g krebs
12-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Sounds like you rate them about equal, and you'd take the one who best fits the team's needs at the time, depending on who else is signed in the meantime. Fair interpretation?

BobZag
12-01-2009, 04:10 PM
That's fair. :) Both are very good...in different ways.

bartruff1
12-01-2009, 06:23 PM
If he reminds you of Bouldin, Ravio and Blake.....well....gee....whats not to like ??

ZagNative
12-02-2009, 03:57 AM
In a win over Meridian last night, Kyle only scored 9, but he grabbed 12 rebounds.

Average Joe
12-02-2009, 07:38 AM
I was at the game last night. The Fans said he was sick and might have strep throat. He looked pale and tired. He only shot 7 times and most teams are all trying to stop him. He had 9 points, 12 rebounds, 5 assists and was 7 for 8 from the foul line. Tweleve boards for a point guard is pretty good. A guty performence is what I saw and the team won 49-35. On Sat night after Thanksgiving was his first game. He played extremly well. He had 25 points and none of those were from the line as he didn't shoot any foul shots. He had 6 boards, 5 assists and 3 blocked shots. He was 10-14 from the field and none were gimes, and 5 for 8 from the 3 and 3 of them were about 5 to 6 feet behind the arc. The coaches is a first year guy from Gonzaga. Coach Graham from Boise State has a junior boy on the team so you could call him at Boise State and ask him as well. Stats are great but this kid is a winner. His freshman year he is 6'0 and 135 starting point guard on a varsity team that took State at 4A two out of three years. The team graduated all but one starter. He ends up leading the team in scoring, shoots 46% from the 3 point line a school recored, hits the game winning shot with a runner in the lane at the buzzer for the district championship and scores in double figures all three games at State all as a freshman. The body wasn't there yet but all the other things that say winner were. as as sophmore leads team to a 26-0 record and again hits the game winner for the State Championship with 21 seconds to go. Wins State Player of the Year as a sophmore. he has flaws as we all do but he is a winner and any school he goes to will be blessed. He is not well known as he plays in a small area market. He doesn't soar above the rim but winning and making big shots he does. He is now 6'4" without shoes and is 6'5" in shoes. he weights about 175 and is stonger and more aggressive. He sense of the game and when to do things is something you can't coach. Until seen it is hard to make a judgement on anything.:)

ZagNative
12-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Thanks, AverageJoe!

I loved the 12 boards. Made me think of Matt Bouldin's 11 boards in the championship game against Cinci at Maui, when he scored only 6 points. Great all-round players find a way to contribute!

I'll look forward to following Kyle this year and hope you keep checking in with more info as the season goes on.

BobZag
12-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Hope Kyle shakes that sore throat and feels better soon.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the update, Average Joe!! Great stuff.

SWZag
12-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Great stuff!

All I can think of is a player we had from Bishop Kelly High in Boise several years ago. He was a beast and a great Zag.

The name is Cory Violette.

I think I like what comes out of Boise.

SWZag

ZagNative
12-02-2009, 10:59 AM
AverageJoe, do you know if Skyview's games are broadcast on local radio? If so, I'd like to see if I could find out a way to listen online. We were able to catch many of Meech Goodson's radio games online over stations in Texas when he was a senior at Klein-Collins.

Average Joe
12-03-2009, 08:25 AM
No the teams games are not on radio, sorry. His team did play last night and won a closs one 66-64. Kyle scored 24 points had 5 boards, 5 blocked shots and 8 assists. He is just a junior in high school and still maturing and getting stronger. You can go to the Idaho Statesman newspaper in Boise to get his scores and stats. I know tha that Boise State, Utah State, and Utah offerd scholarships this summer and Washinton Sate and Notre Dame are about to. Virginia, San Diego, Portland, St Marys,Oregon State are also in the mix. So he does have a few choices being just a junior. Go luck to him where ever he goes as he is a nice player and a great person.:)

ZagNative
12-03-2009, 09:20 AM
I did see the following this morning in the Treasure Valley sports (http://www.idahopress.com/sections/treasurevalleysports/page.php?action=article&cat=all&articleid=28245) report, and I was wishing they'd provided his complete stat line. Thanks for doing that!

Wednesday's High School Report: More balanced Hawks score win
Idaho Press-Tribune Staff
Thursday, December 3rd, 2009

NAMPA — Kyle Dranginis' 24 points led a more balanced effort for Skyview, as the 4A Hawks held off 5A Borah in nonconference boys basketball on Wednesday night.

Dranginis also had eight assists in the win for Skyview (2-1), which took a 22-15 edge after one quarter then helped on as Terrell Rowe added 13 points and Matthew Clark had 10 points and 14 rebounds.

Average Joe
12-03-2009, 10:48 AM
In talking to his parents last night they will be in attendence on Saturday for the Wake Forest game. They plan to drive up in the morning from Boise and drive home after the game and after meeting with the coaching staff. Hope it is a good game.:)

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Just out of curiosity... For those who've seen both Joe Harris and Kyle Dranginis play, how do they compare?

WallaWallaZag
12-03-2009, 09:52 PM
i've never seen kyle play, but from what i gather he's more of a combo guard capable of running the point while harris, who i have seen, is more of a 3 imo...not sure how they compare in terms of athleticism.

KyleWatcher
01-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Hi everyone. Not a Zag....but was hunting for Skyview radio broadcast info and stumbled across this message thread. This is my son's first year on varsity with Kyle. I attend all games and video all games. The team lost its first game at the buzzer and hasn't lost since. Tonight's game will be challenging, but we expect to win (like, doh!)

My (impartial) assessment as a past player with "some" underestanding of the game.... you will not be diappointed with Kyle. Offensively he has an advantage at this level.....how many HS PGs do you know that are 6'5"? So he gets a good look at the field in front before committing. Shooting is pure. The next line is not BS..... the guy's ACCURATE range is as soon as he crosses midcourt. 5-7' behind the HS line is taken and made OFTEN. He dishes well and works a 2v2 game with our power forward to perfection. Seems to position well for rebounds and drives to the hoop with agility.

Defensively he has quick hands and semi-quick feet. He has excellent shot-blocking abilities.....for a guy with "scrawny chicken legs" he can get WAY up there. He anticipates well and at this level it makes up for any "shortcomings" he may have in the speed department. In my opinion, saying he has a speed problem is like saying Roger Clemens didn't have a good curveball. (I am trying to manufacture a flaw). He will probably need a bit more weight at your level...but he is still only a junior.

I know it's a bit far off, but our team usually travels to the Zag team camps in June so......mark your calendars!

BobZag
01-08-2010, 08:31 AM
See you in June. And don't worry about Kuna. Kyle and Skyview will handle them. :)

You say you video all games. Awesome. Did you record the Middleton game? Would you be willing to make a copy for me?

KyleWatcher
01-08-2010, 08:38 AM
LOL....some of the parents asked me for copies of the Middleton game.... I strongly suggested that they didn't have enough $$$ to back up their desire :)

You wealthy Bob?

edit: j/k ofc

The Middleton game was a night/day type game. They had us...I mean they OWNED us..... for three quarters. Then we strarted making the 3's that were missed earlier and I think they got a bit rattled. Down by twelve at the start of the 4th..... and then outscoring them by 12 in OT.....well, the next game against Middleton on 1/29 at home will be...an event!

NotoriousZ
01-08-2010, 08:40 AM
That's not what BobZag really looks like, KyleWatcher, but try and come over in June anyway!

KyleWatcher
01-08-2010, 08:55 AM
That's not what BobZag really looks like, KyleWatcher, but try and come over in June anyway!

yeah well,,,, "Bob" and that picture didn't match up well in my mind anyway.

I attended last year's camp and expect to be there again this summer.

cjm720
01-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the report, KyleW.

Sounds like Klye D has a lot of similarities to Blake Stepp!!!

Go Zags!!!

KyleWatcher
03-19-2010, 11:10 AM
Update:

Kyle was chosen as the 2009-2010 Gatorade Idaho Player of the Year.

You sure you guys need him?:D