PDA

View Full Version : So...who guards Klay?

Baldwinzag
12-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Klay Thompson currently leads the nation in scoring at 28 ppg and shooting 57% from 3pt. In addition, Klay is dishing out nearly 4 assists, grabbing 5 rebs, and even 2 steals per game. The kid is the total package and a threat to score from any place on the court. A tall combo-guard (6'6") and having a breakout season for WSU. He has the ability to carry his team to victory no matter the opposition.

I know GU will most likely throw many defenders at Klay, but who will guard him most of the game? Could it be Gray, Bouldin, or possibly Harris? I presume Gray would be the ideal choice and match up vs Klay.

My question is: who guarded him last season in our romp @ WSU? Whomever was given the responsibility to guard him up last season forced Klay to his worse game statistically all-season. He was 2-9 and held to only 4 pts of offense. I'd like to see the same type of effort this year.

JohnOGU
12-01-2009, 12:29 PM
I would really like to give Manny a shot, as long as he can stay away from dumb fouls. Other than that, Gray and Elias. Maybe Bouldin?

Zaghuatanejo
12-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Bouldin started the game guarding him last year in a Man-to-man.

Ezag
12-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Gray

BaldguyZag
12-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Gray!

NotoriousZ
12-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Bouldin started the game guarding him last year in a Man-to-man.

I don't think that's going to work. This year's Klay can drop 40 on us if we don't stay in his face the entire game. I hope we'll be harassing and doubling him all night, and I hope we can stay out of foul trouble in the process.

I hope.

ZagNative
12-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Memo to Steven Gray: Stwike him, centuwion, vewwy woughly. Oh yes. Thwow him to the floor.

UberZagFan
12-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Klay is a nice player who will get his on the court but his stats to date are highly suspect. WSU has played nobody, nobody's cousin and then an okay USD team.

Matty B and Gray will probably both get a lot of time on Klay. It would be nice to see Harris matched up with him. WSU is awfully small with a starting five of 6'7, 6'2, 6'6, 6'4, and 6'8. GU's starting five is generally taller save for Meech and the mins off the bench definitely have more length. There may be lineups out there where Harris can match up with Klay.

Either way, it will be more interesting to see how WSU defends Sacre, Harris and Kelly O -- Casto is a beast but he can't by himself defend all that length.

zag67
12-01-2009, 01:23 PM
I think that the key on stopping his 3 pointers is to make sure that when he comes off a screen, the defender pops out to challenge him before he can shoot. Also if you are guarding him, you do not play any help defense. If you sag to far in and they swing the ball, then you will be attacking him while he is in the air. This will be either he was open enough to get a clean shot or even that you might foul him shooting a 3 pointer. Also I think rotating on him is also important. Some faster than others, some taller, some that play in your face, etc. This way he cannot get comfortable with a given feel to the offensive end. Also if he drives and you go to stop, the rest of the team needs to sag back into the middle to ensure that your man is not left alone next to the basket.

gamagin
12-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Matt. But if Klay gets busy trying to handle the ball, well, Meech could have him tied up in knots before he gets his hands up high enough to shoot.

But Gray is my first choice. I recall vividly he blocked at least two efforts at long distance shooting and likely it was more like 3-4, since the season started. THAT is a combo of being tall enough and yet cat-quick.

Get a fingernail on a shooter's shot and he has to change his shot. That is what I think Klay needs. Disruption. And that is what Stephen & Matt have been best at so far this year.

Underneath, I really think Casto is a serious threat. My fear is more that he draws too many fouls from our reach-around & over twins if they aren't careful.

If Meech continues his effort at wearing out the man bringing the ball down court, & MB & SG put in their usual games while EH & RS dominate underneath like they have, we should have these guys confused, out of position and disrupted for much of the game.

Go TEAM Zags !

Angelo Roncalli
12-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Gray on Klay.

CDC84
12-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Gray.

Klay has not faced the kind of team defense this season that he'll be facing Wednesday night. Not even close.

If he puts 40 on the Zags, the Zags have no one but themselves to blame. The defense on this team is capable of holding him to a reasonable number of points.

TacomaZAG
12-01-2009, 02:13 PM
is not to hold him scoreless or to fewer than 10 points. Just keep him at 25 or less (his average so far this year) and they can't catch us. Where is their other scoring going to come from???? Casto is a good defender but is no offensive threat, and their other guys aren't going off on anyone.

No need to shut him down, just keep him in check. Steven and Matt (Manny if needed as well) should be able to do that.

Zags by 10+.

Go ZAGS

Reborn
12-01-2009, 02:24 PM
I don't see any need to change what they've been doing. Zags play a switching man to man defense. That means that all of them will guard him at times. I think the key is to take away his 3ball, make him put the ball on the court and beat us off the fribble. Remember. For every 3 he makes he gets an extra point for that basket. Limit him to making 2 pt baskets.

hooter73
12-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Klays scoring is like Morrison was back in the day; You KNOW he is going to score, just dont make it too easy for him. I do think Gray will be primary on D for all the reasons previously stated. Oh and I agree that WSU's success is pretty thin considering their opponents.

gbnyba17
12-01-2009, 02:50 PM
The Urban Dictionary says that a fribble is a d&ckf%rt. It occurs when bodily gas is expelled through a c^ck. It makes a noise much like the %nus f@rt.

I have never been able to do this myself -- Do you think the Zags are up to it? :D

I agree with your logic though.

HAHAHHAHAHAHA LMAO. the best post ive read in quite some time.

dim4sum
12-01-2009, 02:51 PM
1.Gray and Harris double team him. Bouldin in at high post, looking to intercept desperate passes.
2. Get Casto into early foul trouble. He's talented but not crafty enough to avoid fouling.
3. Pay attention to Moore. He's from a long line of skilled Rainier Beach point guards who know how to win. But he has a tendency to hold the ball at waste level when contemplating his next move and therein lie theft opportunities for Meech.
4. More steals, blocks and assists are needed by the Zags for them to win convincingly. They've been deficient in all three categories so far. The lack of blocks is especially surprising given the height advantage they bring into practically every game.

JPtheBeasta
12-01-2009, 03:11 PM
The Urban Dictionary says that a fribble is a d&ckf%rt. It occurs when bodily gas is expelled through a c^ck. It makes a noise much like the %nus f@rt.

I have never been able to do this myself -- Do you think the Zags are up to it? :D

I agree with your logic though.

Wow, JG. It looks like that post was written by Q-Bert :)

Pneumaturia (new-muh-too-ree-uh) is the medical name for it. It's most often caused by a pathological connection between the urinary system and the intestines. I hope that none of our players have that problem, but if it helps them play better D...

It's interesting how, traditionally, stopping 3-point shooting is a strength of man-to-man and a weakness of zone, but in the Colorada game the Zags were getting torched until they switched to a match-up zone. I don't care what they go with tomorrow as long as they recognize early what is or isn't working and go with it.

UberZagFan
12-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Remember. For every 3 he makes he gets an extra point for that basket.

Genius.

MickMick
12-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Zags are athletic enough to put whomever on him.

What I mean by that is switch on the screens, and whomever winds up on him defends him. Don't give him a moment by having players run around screens to reaquire Klay.

Having said that, Gray would be my primary defender.

gamagin
12-01-2009, 05:01 PM
who do you think Bone will try to match up to give Klay his best shot opportunity ?

Meech ?

Angelo Roncalli
12-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Genius.

I think I just saw the AFLAC duck and Yogi Berra walk across my computer screen.

VinnyZag
12-01-2009, 06:10 PM
It's Gray:
http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2009/dec/01/grays-assignment-slow-wsus-high-scoring-thompson/

cjm720
12-02-2009, 06:27 AM
Will be interesting to see what D coach Few springs tonight...he's played so many different schemes from man-to-man to 3-2, to 2-3, to 3-2, to 3-2 man and probably more that I can't think. That said, I'd be suprised if Gray (with GJ and Meech close by) wasn't on him the whole game.

a13coach
12-02-2009, 07:25 AM
Might just be me but instead of asking who guards KT, I ask who will guard Robert, who guards Matt, who guards Elias? WSU is going to work so hard on defense that their offense will suffer.
Who does KT guard? If he is so busy running around chase Steven he is going to tire, or if going to guard Matt he gets abused down low and if he guards Elias he will tire and get abused down low.
That tells me WSU plays zone...to protect KT.

willandi
12-02-2009, 07:26 AM
Olynyk, off the bench.

ZagManFan
12-02-2009, 07:52 AM
Who cares who guards him? Who will guard our guys? Let's not over think this, if Klay scores 40 and the rest score 20 and GU scores 80 we win right? They can't match up defensively with us at any position...PERIOD. Let him get his 40 for all I care.

They never shut down Jordan, just the other pieces around him. Or at least tried.

titopoet
12-02-2009, 08:27 AM
Gray starts on him, but GU switches on ball screens, so Matt will be on him a lot. The key is Meech pressuring Moore and the rest of the WSU PGs. The more pressure the less likely Klay catches and shoots. Make him work for his shots and he will be very mortal. Also attacking him on the other will make life easier. Both Gray and Matt can drive on him.

JPtheBeasta
12-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Who will guard our guys?

+1

I will have to assume, since you didn't use the rhetorical question emoticon, you aren't looking for an answer.

ZagManFan
12-02-2009, 12:48 PM
+1

I will have to assume, since you didn't use the rhetorical question emoticon, you aren't looking for an answer.

+1 :clap: