PDA

View Full Version : Where Harris stands right now

CDC84
12-01-2009, 12:19 PM
I went through the 2009 McDonald's All American roster and took a look at its big men to see how they did during the month of November compared to Elias Harris.

Harris is currently averaging 12.7 PPG, 48% FG, and 7.7 RPG

The only big men on the Burger Boy team who are coming close to putting up Elias' numbers are these guys:

Derrick Favors, Ga Tech = 13.6 PPG, 72% FG, 7.8 RPG
DeMarcus Cousins, UK = 16.1 PPG, 56% FG, 8.6 RPG
Keith Gallon, OU = 12.3 PPG, 60% FG, 10.5 RPG

Gonzaga played MVSU, Michigan St., IPFW, Colorado, Wisconsin and Cincinnati

Ga Tech played Florida A&M, Dayton, George Mason, Boston University, and Mercer

UK played Morehead St., Miami of Ohio, Sam Houston St., Rider, Cleveland St., Stanford and UNC-Asheville

OU played Mount St. Mary's, Louisiana-Monroe, VCU, San Diego, Houston and Nicholls State

Every other big man on the Burger Boy team is averaging less than 7 PPG, in various capacities, or has yet to play (like Renardo Sidney).

Reborn
12-01-2009, 12:25 PM
I am hoping that Harris makes the All American Freshmen team, if there is such an honor. I think he has a great chance. I see so much more improvement out of him as he gets more familiar with Few's system. He's playing on guts and skill right now. Wait until he gets some plays set up for him.

JohnOGU
12-01-2009, 12:26 PM
I cannot say enough how impressed i am with Elias. It seems like we were the only school recruiting him period, which i do not understand at all. This kid is special. By the time he's finished, he'll be one of the best Zags ever, in my opinion.

75Zag
12-01-2009, 12:48 PM
I think Harris has a shot at the June 2010 NBA draft if he continues to impress the sportswriters. I am a bit skeptical myself, but his hype is building quickly and may surpass several of the Burger Boys by the end of the pre-season.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Ezag
12-01-2009, 12:48 PM
I am more interested to see where Harris stands tomorrow night against the Cougs

maynard g krebs
12-01-2009, 03:32 PM
I think Harris has a shot at the June 2010 NBA draft if he continues to impress the sportswriters. I am a bit skeptical myself, but his hype is building quickly and may surpass several of the Burger Boys by the end of the pre-season.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Harris has to play the 3 in the NBA. He needs to improve his jumpshot to do that. He should be at GU a couple years at least. The guys CDC compared him to are in the 6-9 to 6-10 range, I'm pretty sure. So what Harris is doing is really impressive, but there are questions about how it projects re: the NBA.

CDC84
12-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Pretty much all of the guys I compared him to were indeed 6-9+

The conclusion that can definitely be reached is that at the college level at least, Harris was a significant signing for Gonzaga.

FuManShoes
12-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Compelling, but would the better comparison be with Burger Boys from 2 years ago? We all agree Harris in't a typical frosh and at 20, his body and game are far advanced beyond an 18 year old's.

Xin Loi 67
12-01-2009, 04:00 PM
The kid hasn't even been bloodied yet. Let him pay dues, he is a good fit here. No need to start draft talking, not until 2011. It just ain't going to happen.

CDC84
12-01-2009, 04:07 PM
I don't know. Harris might be more prepared in some ways compared to many freshmen, but U.S. college basketball is still a whole new experience for him. The remaining elite guys from the 2007 recruiting class have 2 years of U.S. college experience playing in high profile programs with elite coaches. They've played in high pressure postseason tournament games that are watched by more people than the NBA finals. They've played hundreds and hundreds of minutes at this level, have been through 2 offseasons of training, weightlifting, and instruction. They've got things that Elias doesn't have right now but soon will.

HOOTER
12-01-2009, 04:10 PM
No need to start draft talking, not until 2011. It just ain't going to happen.

I hope your right.

There was a huge hole to fill this season and absolutely no one thought Harris would fill it this early, much less this perfectly. He's the real deal and we're lucky to have him.

asoc
12-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Compelling, but would the better comparison be with Burger Boys from 2 years ago? We all agree Harris in't a typical frosh and at 20, his body and game are far advanced beyond an 18 year old's.

I agree with this post probably 80%

If you are simply comparing individuals development as players then you have to compare based on their age.

However, if you are only focused on players prospects in College, I suppose you can look at what year they are in school. But age still has a significant impact on this.