PDA

View Full Version : Zag mentions by Goodman and Davis

CDC84
12-01-2009, 08:52 AM
http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfox/blog/

FEW RIDING BACKCOURT

The Gonzaga guard duo of Matt Bouldin and Steven Gray haven’t come off the court much thus far. Bouldin is averaging 36.5 minutes and Gray is logging more than 35 minutes per game. Thus far, most of the production has come from the Bouldin, Gray, big man Robert Sacre, freshman Elias Harris and point guard Demetri Goodson. They have combined to average 66.2 of the team’s 80 points per game. ``If those guys aren’t getting tired, why take them out?” ‘Zags coach Mark Few said of Bouldin and Gray. ``They go forever and like to play. It’s easy to point to our lack of bench, but for us, we need to win games. Eventually we’ll get more out of them.” Few’s team ended up celebrating its Maui Invitational victory by spending Thanksgiving on the Island. He was pleased with how his players won three games – against Colorado, Wisconsin and Cincinnati - in three different ways while in Maui. He also loves having a big man like Sacre who can score in the post – maybe the first in Spokane since J.P. Batista. ``He’s such a good guy,” Few said of Sacre. ``He’s a big, old goofy kid who just loves to bang.” But the ‘Zags enter a stretch this week with Washington State and Wake Forest at home.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/seth_davis/11/30/hoop.thoughts/1.html

You have to wonder at what point Gonzaga's lack of depth will catch up with them. The Zags' starting five is solid, but they are a little too vulnerable to fatigue, foul trouble or injury.

ID ZAGFAN
12-01-2009, 09:03 AM
I think most of us could agree with this comment from Davis:
" Memo to TV game producers: Unless a guy is losing his temper or his hair is on fire, there is absolutely no reason to show a live box of a coach while the game is going on. Please cease and desist."

ID ZAGFAN

Radbooks
12-01-2009, 09:08 AM
" Memo to TV game producers: Unless a guy is losing his temper or his hair is on fire, there is absolutely no reason to show a live box of a coach while the game is going on. Please cease and desist."

I sent an email to ESPN last week after the Colorado game saying basically the same thing. I don't know if it will do any good, but maybe it will get through to them if members of the press say it!

CDC84
12-01-2009, 09:14 AM
It amazes me how so many national commentators fail to recognize in their evaluations that Gonzaga plays an inverted schedule. They are never going to play their younger players the same amount of minutes as the average top 25 team in the month of November.

The college basketball season is a long, long season.

vandalzag
12-01-2009, 09:18 AM

ID ZAGFAN

Here here. Lets hope the coach box does not gain prominence like the inane crowd shot after a made basket resulting in the viewer missing action on the inbound. I can only imagine if Bobby Knight was still coaching, they would have him in the big picture and the game in the small box.

Robzagnut
12-01-2009, 10:26 AM

ID ZAGFAN

Yeah but, that Colorado assistant coaches hair was flaired out and his eyes were bugging out so much I thought he was going to have a stroke. Obviously, the camera man and game producer thought the same thing and wanted the TV audience to see it live.

gamagin
12-01-2009, 11:21 AM
http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfox/blog/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/seth_davis/11/30/hoop.thoughts/1.html

are directly off the interview w/Tom Hudson Monday from the Mark Few radio show, fwiw.

Go TEAM Zags !

Ezag
12-01-2009, 12:47 PM
I think his lack of knowledge about our lack of depth is the real issue here. We don't have a lack of depth, just a lack of experience. That will come as the season progresses, then we will have plenty of depth

ZagDaddy
12-01-2009, 03:40 PM
We don't have a lack of depth, just a lack of experience.

Amen to that. This may be the deepest team the Zags have had in recent memory. Unfortunately, right now it is the most inexperienced. Just wait until league play! It's all good...