PDA

View Full Version : Checking in: Gary Bell - November 30, 2009, Edition

ZagNative
11-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Gary Bell

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/2011%20Recruits/Gary%20Bell/2009-11-30GaryBellbeforeLesSchwabCl.jpg
Kentridge's Gary Bell, right, tries to drive past the defense of Kentwood's Alec Wilson.

From KentReporter.com (http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/south_king/ken/sports/78155637.html) today:

BOYS BASKETBALL PREVIEW '09: SPSL North at a glance
By ERICK WALKER
Kent Reporter Sports reporter
Today, 2:16 PM

SPSL NORTH: AT A GLANCE

• FAVORITE: Federal Way.

• CONTENDERS: Kentwood, Kentridge.

• SLEEPERS: Auburn, Jefferson.
....The Chargers graduated three starters, but Bell is one of the state’s best all-around players and should get the team back to the postseason all by himself.

TEN SPSL NORTH PLAYERS TO WATCH

Josh Smith/Kentwood/Center/Senior

Notable: 6-10, 285-pound UCLA-bound is worth rice of admission.
Gary Bell/Kentridge/Guard/Junior

Notable: Dynamic guard already has offers from UW, Cal and Gonzaga. Has eye on league MVP.
Christian Behrens/Tahoma/Forward/Junior

Notable: 6-8 junior averaged 21 points, 10 boards per game last year. Being recruited by UW among others.
Also from KentReporter.com (http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/south_king/ken/sports/78155802.html) today:

BOYS BASKETBALL PREVIEW '09: SPSL North deep and talented once again
By ERICK WALKER
Kent Reporter Sports reporter

RING THE BELL
There’s not a lot Kentridge High’s Gary Bell can’t do on the basketball court.

Shoot. Drive. Cut to the basket. Pass. Defend.

“He makes things look pretty easy,” said Kentridge coach Dave Jamison. “He’s just balanced.”

Which makes it pretty easy to explain why Bell, a junior, already has received offers to play at college from Gonzaga, California, Washington and Arizona State among others.

The time for deciding on a college, however, isn’t now, Bell insists.

“I’m not really leaning toward anybody. I’m just keeping my options open,” he said.

“Every day when I get home from school, there’s another letter in the mail.”

Bell, who averaged 18.9 points per game last year and who led Kentridge to a third-place finish at the state tournament, intends to make all his college visits before making a decision.

For the time being, however, he has other things in mind. Specifically, leading Kentridge back to the postseason and winning the SPSL North MVP, an honor that has been won by Kentwood big man Josh Smith the last two seasons.

“That’s one of my goals. I think I can outdo him this year,” laughed Bell, who is a teammate of Smith during the summer for Seattle Rotary Select. “This year, I just want to put my name more on the map.”

Bell will get that chance, too. Because while the Chargers are expected to be near the front of SPSL North once again, they did graduate key guards Shaquielle McKissic and Laron Daniels.

“He’ll probably have to score a little more this year,” Jamison said. “But we have other guys we’re expecting to do things.”

Those guys include returning starter Dylan Zylstra along with forwards Craig Rasmussen, Brendon Westendorf and Devin Topps. All three contributed big minutes last season and will be leaned upon this year.

“We’re not as stacked as last year,” Bell said. “But if we all just play defense, I think we’re going to do some big things.”

Schedule: Link to downloadable Word doc from Kentridge's Offcial site (http://www.kentridgebasketball.com/linked/VarsityJVSchedule.doc)

Games for the month of December, leading up to the tourney in Spokane, are shown below:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/2009-11-30GaryBellSchedule.jpg

Note: I think Kentridge played Renton n that jamboree, but I haven't been able to find a box score for it. Bet Gary done good, though!

P.S. I also have info accumulated for posts about Christian Behrens of Tahoma, Nick Johnson of Findlay Prep, and Darian Nelson-Henry of Lake Washington, and Kyle Dranginis of Skyview in Nampa, that I'll be putting up tomorrow. With kids' games starting up this coming week, I wanted to be sure to post at least info about upcoming schedules so folks in the area of the games can check some of the Zags' priority recruits out as well.

CanadianZagFan
12-01-2009, 05:53 AM
He has nice size for a PG, is he a combo or a true point? I have seen him listed as a SG, but these comments from his coach make me think he is a lead guard...

A talented athlete, he's one of the hardest-working players Kentridge coach Dave Jamison has encountered. "I've never seen a kid this versatile as a sophomore," Jamison said. "Gary is very strong and doesn't get pushed around. He's intelligent and has a great feel for the game. He runs our presses and all our half court offense goes through him. He's pretty much in charge."

LynetteG
12-01-2009, 07:39 AM
'“Every day when I get home from school, there’s another letter in the mail.”'

This was one of the most exciting parts in Jordan's recruiting. He would have stacks of letters, and he would read them over and over again. Ah to be young and athletic :)

SageOfZagville
12-01-2009, 08:16 AM
Aunt Lynette,
Is Jordan still nursing an injury? I watched Michigan play several times this past week and didn't see him getting any action. Manny Harris is a beast by the way.

BobZag
12-01-2009, 10:28 AM
In my eyes, Gary is a combo guard.

Spokane area Zag fans can go see him late December at SFCC's gym..

JohnOGU
12-01-2009, 12:03 PM
i would love to have Gary Bell.