PDA

View Full Version : WCC/GU success & recruiting

ZagAddict
11-30-2009, 03:59 PM
As November ends I am not only completely surprised/excited about the early success of GU, but also the WCC as a conference. The WCC has had some great wins again BCS schools and Top 25 teams. This is the type of competition I've always hoped for in the WCC. It will benefit everyone in the conference come March.

Coupled with the early disappointment of the PAC10, the WCC is getting some good exposure this season. Teams like Portland and San Diego have stepped up and proven they can play against top-level competition. With the great recruiting class of 2011, I am hoping the WCC can sway some top players to look elsewhere than the PAC10. I think the early success of GU and the WCC will help GU's case for convincing top recruits like Gary Bell Jr., Kyle Wiltjer, and Nick Johnson to commit to Gonzaga. I know December can bring different results than November, but I'm excited about the possibility of Gonzaga being the top team in the West. Kyle doesn't have to move all the way to Kansas to play for a top team, Gary would only need to relocated 5 hrs east of Seattle to play for a national championship, and Nick could join the pipeline of great GU point guards instead of joining the instability of the PAC10. Nothing wrong with hoping for a 2011 recruiting class like this :D If any staff can do it... it's Few & Co.

Go Zags... keep up the fight in December.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Nice post, ZagAddict. After not being on the radar during his original recruitment while in high school, Jeff Withey seriously considered Gonzaga when making his decision to transfer from Arizona (he chose Kansas over GU and Texas), and I believe that was due in large part to the success the Zags had early last season. Thanksgiving week is a very important week of the college basketball season because of all the national media coverage associated with the various tournaments, so it certainly helps that the WCC performed well. Here's hoping Kyle W, Kyle D, Gary B, and Nick J were all in front of their TVs last weekend.

FriscoKid
12-01-2009, 10:59 AM
As November ends I am not only completely surprised/excited about the early success of GU, but also the WCC as a conference. The WCC has had some great wins again BCS schools and Top 25 teams. This is the type of competition I've always hoped for in the WCC. It will benefit everyone in the conference come March.

Coupled with the early disappointment of the PAC10, the WCC is getting some good exposure this season. Teams like Portland and San Diego have stepped up and proven they can play against top-level competition. With the great recruiting class of 2011, I am hoping the WCC can sway some top players to look elsewhere than the PAC10.

Go Zags... keep up the fight in December.

With our national championship history and Rex as coach, look for USF to start winning games.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-01-2009, 11:09 AM
With our national championship history and Rex as coach, look for USF to start winning games.

Hopefully this season Dior finally starts to get the national respect he deserves. Right now he's the WCC's best kept secret.