PDA

View Full Version : Zags 16 in Coaches Poll

GoZags
11-30-2009, 09:06 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings

tobizag
11-30-2009, 09:07 AM
how on earth is UW the tenth best team in the country?

and even more egregious, PORTLAND COMES IN AT #28????? WTF?

dnj116
11-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Wow, what a jump. Going from unranked to 16 is huge. Guess we won't be coming up unnoticed as the underdog anymore. I'm liking it

BaldguyZag
11-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Beat Wazzu and Wake Forest this week and we're top 10! Actually, probally 12th!

CDC84
11-30-2009, 09:20 AM
I feel Cincinnati should've been higher. They took out 2 top 25 teams last week, and lost by a whisker to the team at #16 this week.

krozman
11-30-2009, 09:20 AM
portland got kinda shafted.
guess it takes a "decade of excellence" to jump so many spots :D

bullzag23
11-30-2009, 09:29 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings?pollId=1

17th in AP, Portland clocks in at #25....when was the last time they were ranked?

Edit: JG beat me to the punch...damn you

Just A Zag
11-30-2009, 09:33 AM
i kinda wished we stayed unranked all year. I mean I know it's cool to see your team ranked and such but if they play that well unranked it scares me to see how they play with a ranking. maybe its just me

sullyzag66
11-30-2009, 09:39 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings?pollId=1

17th in AP, Portland clocks in at #25....when was the last time they were ranked?
More than 50 years ago. (http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2009/11/no_8_west_virginia_84_portland.html)

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-30-2009, 09:49 AM
The tough part about ranking times this early in the season is determining whether to award teams for what they've achieved vs. how they project. For example, Georgetown has played a super weak schedule thus far, but the consensus seems to be that the Hoyas have the talent to contend for a Big East title. On the other hand, Portland already has some very nice wins, but I think pollsters are still trying to determine if the Pilots are for real. Ultimately, for better or worse, tradition and reputation are the most valuable form of currency when jockeying for respect in the rankings early in the season.

bullzag23
11-30-2009, 10:34 AM
i kinda wished we stayed unranked all year. I mean I know it's cool to see your team ranked and such but if they play that well unranked it scares me to see how they play with a ranking. maybe its just me

I prefer to earn a ranking as we have thus far, because when a team starts the season unranked and climbs up the ladder throughout the season it means one thing; the team is winning :D

Saxon_zag
11-30-2009, 10:34 AM
who voted for duke as #1 in the espn/usa today poll? dicky v get a say?

rijman
11-30-2009, 10:50 AM
I am pleased and surprised the Zags are as high as 16 & 17 in the polls. I feel they deserve it, just didn't think the pollsters would. I am all for the highest possible rankings, which will help them when the NCAA seeds are determined, so they don't get as shafted as they have been in the past.

Shanachie
11-30-2009, 11:01 AM
The tough part about ranking times this early in the season is determining whether to award teams for what they've achieved vs. how they project. For example, Georgetown has played a super weak schedule thus far, but the consensus seems to be that the Hoyas have the talent to contend for a Big East title. On the other hand, Portland already has some very nice wins, but I think pollsters are still trying to determine if the Pilots are for real. Ultimately, for better or worse, tradition and reputation are the most valuable form of currency when jockeying for respect in the rankings early in the season.

I agree, and even later in the season, different voters seem to approach the polls differently. Should you vote based on who has accomplished the most? Who is playing best right now? Who you think will be playing the best in March? Each approach is interesting to me, but as far as I know, the polls don't give the voters any guidance on how to approach the voting, so we probably get a mix of those plus more.

zag67
11-30-2009, 11:06 AM
I think that Portland is about where they deserve. I think if their game against WV had been closer then maybe they would have been higher. But they got beat pretty bad. That still is great to have 2 in the top 25 and another getting votes. BEAT WSU.

VaBeachZAG
11-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Why is it that some always wish the Zags would remain unranked? To me that is mid-major thinking. If you are a high level program then you shouldn't be afraid of high ranking and shouldn't think that success can only come from lurking in the shadows and sneaking up on opponents. Come on guys, the truth is it has been a very long time since the Zags had to sneak up on other teams to get a high profile win. While the post tournament polls are the only ones that really count, there are a lot of advantages to be ranked throughout the season, as many on this board have identified. Enjoy our success and the great ride to March!

FuManShoes
11-30-2009, 11:14 AM
I think voters overreacted in the polls this week. Minnesota loses to a good Portland team and then loses again and suddenly is out of the Top 25? seems extreme. Michigan St. loses to a Florida team that had beat Florida St and they plummet 7 spots to 9. I'm glad the Zags moved up but some of these other moves seem a bit drastic and perhaps show that with such a small sample size, it's hard to rank teams this time of year.

SunDevilGolfZag
11-30-2009, 11:48 AM
[QUOTE=tobizag;489838]how on earth is UW the tenth best team in the country?

Re UW, give it a little time

UberZagFan
11-30-2009, 12:51 PM
16/17 is a pretty high jump....deserved though after those hard fought wins in Maui....Uber still thinks that the players should qualify for Crime Victims Compensation following the Bearcat game.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-30-2009, 01:09 PM
The higher ranking Zags can get now the better for long term seeding/NCAA resume. Not as many quality W's to be had in our remaining OOC schedule as I would have thought:
Wake Forest is hardly the ACC resume-building quality opponent you would expect...especially coming off a loss to William & Mary. Oklahoma sporting 3-3 record and Illinois dropping out of Top 25 with back to back losses (Utah and Bradley). Those teams records can of course improve along with RPI, but right now Zags can count on arguably just two high-quality resume building opponents remaining: Duke and Memphis.
If things go awry in a tough WCC and our young Zags drop 3-4 games in conference, who knows where things stand at end of season...could be a bubble team if any of the legitimate contenders in WCC knock us out of conference tourney early. I'd say Portland, St. Mary's and even San Diego could upset the Zags on a given night.
So, climb up the rankings now and get all the attention we can Zags. I don't believe we'll be a bubble team when all is said and done but I definitely think it's within the realm of possibility so the more national attention we get now the better

Just A Zag
11-30-2009, 02:05 PM
ok right, neg rep me for saying that. that makes sense. apparently it's "not just me" clown

MickMick
11-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Zags jump had more to do with their showing in East Lansing than their crown in Maui. That first half against Sparty opened a lot of eyes.

Reborn
11-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Zags jump had more to do with their showing in East Lansing than their crown in Maui. That first half against Sparty opened a lot of eyes.

If this were the case, that Maui had nothing to do with our rank, Mick Mick, then why were we only rated 27th or so in the polls after our loss to Michigan St., and now 16th after Maui? The guys playd great, tough basketball in Maui. They came back after being down by more than ten points in the second half of two games. I think basketball fans like the touhness of this Zag team.

LynetteG
11-30-2009, 06:00 PM
bi-pollar disorder

You are hilarious FuMan!

rijman
11-30-2009, 07:27 PM
"it's been a long time since Gonzaga was shafted by the committee, if ever."

For whichever obvious Zag hater neg repped me with that comment:

2002, Zags ranked 6th, seeded 6th
2006, Zags ranked 4th, seeded 3rd
2008, Zags 7th seed face 10th seeded Davidson at the RBC Center, Raleigh NC, practically a home game for the lower seed.

The Zags have been screwed over by the committee 3 times in the past 7 years, 2002 was by far the worst. The disrespect shown the Zags was the talk of that seeding show.

rawkmandale
11-30-2009, 08:13 PM
BTW, St. Mary's wins tonight 78-71 over San Jose State.

Hey, can anyone explain to me why 4-1 Memphis (only loss a close one to Kansas) is not in the top 25? I realize they haven't played anyone else of note (and blown out the 4 patsies), but come on - it's Memphis! They looked mighty good against Kansas.

MickMick
11-30-2009, 08:24 PM
If this were the case, that Maui had nothing to do with our rank, Mick Mick, then why were we only rated 27th or so in the polls after our loss to Michigan St., and now 16th after Maui? The guys playd great, tough basketball in Maui. They came back after being down by more than ten points in the second half of two games. I think basketball fans like the touhness of this Zag team.

Maui had very much to do with the rank. Maui + MSU at their place is the reason for the big jump. But it was that game against Sparty and the rumors about the Texas scrimmage that initailly had the talking heads buzzing. Maui confirmed the buzz and finally made them (and us) true believers. If GU did not have the great showing at Michigan State, they would probably have come in five spots lower. The enertia started before Maui.

Reborn
11-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Maui had very much to do with the rank. Maui + MSU at their place is the reason for the big jump. But it was that game against Sparty and the rumors about the Texas scrimmage that initailly had the talking heads buzzing. Maui confirmed the buzz and finally made them (and us) true believers. If GU did not have the great showing at Michigan State, they would probably have come in five spots lower. The enertia started before Maui.

I agree. Right on! The Sparty game got us from 36 to 26. And it was the beginning, I think, when many of us began to believe.

rawkmandale
11-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Plus most of the teams formerly ranked 16-25 lost during the week. Only a few others distinguished themselves (Florida, Portland, Texas A&M, Cincinnati, UNLV).

rijman
11-30-2009, 09:24 PM
"neg rep for complaining about rep. '02 the bigger shaft was playing Wyoming at altitude in their conference member's gym. GU's 21 rpi translated precisely to a 6 seed"

Why not man up and post in the thread for all to see? Are you trying to hide your identity so you can spout off without any feedback? This is a public forum, my comments are out in the open so man up and put yours out for everyone to see also. Carrying on a one sided conversation with me without identifying yourself or allowing me to respond back is weak, just man up. If you want to converse, do it in the thread.

rawkmandale
11-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Lots of good stuff in this ESPN summary of all things current in college basketball:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/notebook?page=notebook/weeklywatch0902