PDA

View Full Version : From ESPN this morning:

SoCalZag
11-30-2009, 08:29 AM
Gonzaga: The Zags were the West Coast preseason favorite and probably should have been in the Top 25. There is no doubt now after a run to the Maui Invitational title. Gonzaga beat back Wisconsin and then Cincinnati in the title game, as Elias Harris, Robert Sacre and Steven Gray are proving to be more than complementary players to Matt Bouldin. Once again the Zags look like a team that could make a deep March run.

Places to be this week:

Spokane, Wash. (Wednesday): Washington State's title at the Great Alaska Shootout and Gonzaga's win at the Maui Invitational make this must-see viewing.

And nice to hear the WCC is making some noise:

Smackdown of the week: There is no second place. Portland's 27-point rout of UCLA, the most lopsided loss of the Ben Howland era, was a pounding from start to finish.

dnj116
11-30-2009, 08:36 AM
Thanks for posting Socalzag. Press clippings are hard to come by when not ranked and hyped, but as this team is making a splash in the national scene its great to get some recognition. A repetitive criticism of past zag teams is that they were over-rated (which is arguable), however this is the first time in some years that we're coming in from behind and are underrated. I love how this is playing out...

BobZag
11-30-2009, 08:46 AM
The WCC holds at least two distinctions vs UCLA--

1. If things haven't changed, Gonzaga has held UCLA to its lowst point total in Pauley Pavilian history.

2. Portland has beaten Ben Howland's UCLA team by more points than any other team has.

:)

FuManShoes
11-30-2009, 08:59 AM
http://beyondthearc.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/11/29/2138018.aspx

A reason to stay up late
East Coasters should do themselves a favor and find this game on the tube. How often do you get to see tournament winners matchup like this? The Zags just won the Maui Invitational, while the Cougs took the Great Alaska shootout.

Gonzaga’s already been through the wringer against the BCS schools, but this one’s a little different. Wazzu may as well be a cross-town rival since they play pretty much every year. The Cougs took games in 2006 and ’07, but that’s about it.

Can Klay Thompson – he of the 43-point performance against San Diego – carry the Cougs, or will Gonzaga’s big men wear down Washington State? I say stay up late and see.

MDABE80
11-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Zags big men hold a huge option on this WSU game. I hope they use it. Not sure who will guard Elias...or RObert for that matter. Expect some fouls. The game is won or lost with the guards. Get some quick lengthy guards platooning on Klay and it'll be fine. He gets lose though and troubles brewin. Few, Leon and Ray must know that. The defensive scheme they devise will be eyecatching. He's really good. 3's , baseline drives, etc. He has an arsenal for such a young guy. FG's at 56% and 3 pointers at 57% are unreal...not to not his glitzy 28.3 ppg average. I wish Steven was just a step quicker.
Reggie Morre is tough to contain as well. This should be a very difficult game. Coaching will matter.... Bone's a very good coach!

ZagNative
11-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Bit of a digression here to respond to BZ's post,

The WCC holds at least two distinctions vs UCLA--

1. If things haven't changed, Gonzaga has held UCLA to its lowst point total in Pauley Pavilian history.

2. Portland has beaten Ben Howland's UCLA team by more points than any other team has.

:)I've been thinking about that Monson victory over UCLA and was trying to remember if he was responsible for that thrashing of UCLA at Pauley Pavilion. He wasn't. That job fell to Mark Few with the post-Monson 1999-2000 post-Monson teamZags. I loved the story in Sports Illustrated (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/college/news/1999/12/11/gonzaga_ucla_ap/index.html) and this great Zag pic:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Others/Casey/1999-12-10-CaseyUCLA.jpg
"Gonzaga's Casey Calvary sneaks through two Bruins defenders during the Bulldogs' upset of No. 11 UCLA"

Ugly UCLA
No. 11 Bruins set school record in 59-43 loss
Posted: Saturday December 11, 1999 09:05 PM

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The little school that shocked the NCAA tournament with its run to the Elite Eight last season pulled off another big surprise Saturday.

Reserve Ryan Floyd scored a career-high 17 points, including five 3-pointers, and No. 24 Gonzaga held No. 11 UCLA to its lowest point total ever at Pauley Pavilion in a 59-43 victory.

"Two years ago, Gonzaga could not say that if we play our game we can win, but now we can," said Matt Santangelo, who helped the Bulldogs beat Minnesota and Stanford in the early rounds of the NCAA tournament.

The Bruins' previous low was 44 against Southern California on March 8, 1969 -- their first-ever defeat at Pauley Pavilion, which opened in 1965. The loss matched UCLA's worst in a home non-conference game, having lost by 16 points against DePaul in the 1983-84 season.

"They just took our heart and our pride from us," UCLA freshman Jason Kapono said. "They started hitting shots and crashing the rebounds and we couldn't answer that. That's when our heart was taken and it was all downhill from there."
"I definitely could tell they played some high-ranking teams," Watson said of Gonzaga. "They were solid and you could tell they learned from their mistakes. You could tell it's a team that's getting better every game."

VaBeachZAG
11-30-2009, 11:24 AM
And because this game was played in Pauley, UCLA owes us a home game - any bets they will ever come to Spokane? I suspect the only way UCLA comes to Spokane is in the tournament. Given their performance so far this season, I don't think they will make it to the Spokane opening round!

ZagManFan
11-30-2009, 11:36 AM
And because this game was played in Pauley, UCLA owes us a home game - any bets they will ever come to Spokane? I suspect the only way UCLA comes to Spokane is in the tournament. Given their performance so far this season, I don't think they will make it to the Spokane opening round!

Aren't NIT 1st rounds held at one of the teams home site? :D