PDA

View Full Version : Parrish has Zags at 15

Angelo Roncalli
11-30-2009, 04:31 AM
Pilots at 17

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/polls/top25

bartruff1
11-30-2009, 04:41 AM
I see a couple Huskies above us we might beat....I never could have imagined that Mark and his staff could do what UCLA couldn't. Who are these guys ???

jazzdelmar
11-30-2009, 04:48 AM
Foxsports.com Top 25 Poll

1. Kansas (5-0) *1
2. Texas (5-0) *3
3. Kentucky (6-0) *2
4. Villanova (6-0) *5
5. Purdue (5-0) *6
6. West Virginia (5-0) *7
7. Syracuse (6-0) *10
8. Duke (6-0) *14
9. Washington (5-0) *8
10. Tennessee (5-1) *9
11. Florida (6-0) *nr
12. Michigan State (5-1) *4
13. North Carolina (6-1) *12
14. Georgetown (4-0) *18
15. Ohio State (5-1) *16
16. Uconn (4-1) *11
17. Unlv (5-0) *24
18. Texas A&m (5-1) *nr
19. Gonzaga (5-1) *25
20. Portland (5-1) *nr
21. Mississippi (5-1) *nr
22. Clemson (6-1) *23
23. Cincinnati (4-1) *nr
24. Kansas State (5-1) *nr
25. Florida State (6-1) *nr

LongIslandZagFan
11-30-2009, 06:34 AM
Pilots at 17

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/polls/top25

He also has Kentucky at #2. Take that for what it's worth.

BroncoZAG615
11-30-2009, 07:06 AM
Parrish and Goodman both picked John Wall to be the player of the year this year so they continually blather on and on about Kentucky. Rather than noticing they needed a buzzer beater to beat Miami (OH) at home and got taken to overtime by one of the worst Stanford teams in recent memory, they overlook it and continue to praise the Wildcats.

We shall learn more about Calipari's million dollar men when they play UNC and UConn back to back.

VinnyZag
11-30-2009, 08:48 AM
Foxsports.com Top 25 Poll

9. Washington (5-0) *8

They must not have seen UW's game Sunday night.

ZagNative
11-30-2009, 08:53 AM
This is off-topic, but I just noticed recently that CBSSports.com has pretty much become a Gary-Parrish one-man show. It's disappointing to see that happening.

They link MaxPreps for recruiting news and Bleacher Report, which is essentially an amateur blog site, for columns, and basically no human faces other than Parrish.

They must not get any of the big bucks CBS gets from the NCAA for its tournament coverage, because the site has become pretty flimsy, IMO.

BobZag
11-30-2009, 09:04 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings

Cincy #24

kitzbuel
11-30-2009, 09:25 AM
This is off-topic, but I just noticed recently that CBSSports.com has pretty much become a Gary-Parrish one-man show. It's disappointing to see that happening.

They link MaxPreps for recruiting news and Bleacher Report, which is essentially an amateur blog site, for columns, and basically no human faces other than Parrish.

They must not get any of the big bucks CBS gets from the NCAA for its tournament coverage, because the site has become pretty flimsy, IMO.

It's not just CBSSports, it is all the outlets. The economy has been very, very rough on the media since advertising is one of the first things cut when when bottom-lines turn red. Trying to find non-top 25 coverage even on ESPN is pretty difficult and trying to get any FCS (NCAA 1AA) football coverage is nearly impossible any more.

dawgfather11
11-30-2009, 11:37 AM
No real problems with the AP except Washington - What a weak a%ss schedule.

and yet it's higher than gonzaga's go figure right? lol Facts > baseless opinions!

Nevtelen
11-30-2009, 12:21 PM
and yet it's higher than gonzaga's go figure right? lol Facts > baseless opinions!

Perhaps it looks that way now, but I guarantee you that GU's OOC sched strength (and possibly their conf sched if this all keeps up ;) ) are better than UWs. UW's is 'better' now only because the rankings aren't very accurate yet. I mean come on:

Mich St
Wisconsin
Cincinnati
Colorado
plus 2 cupcakes

The UW sched isn't better than that, no way. Even if you take into accout the upcoming schedule, GU's is better.

MississppiZag
11-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Gonzaga's OOC is harder than UW's Conference. Gonzaga's Conference is harder than UW's OOC.

At the end of the year, I believe Gonzaga will have had played the harder of the two schedules.

75Zag
11-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Nice to see GU get the additional national publicity that comes with being ranked. For fans outside of Washington State this will result in better access to coverage, etc.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

a13coach
11-30-2009, 01:09 PM

And have huskies left the confines of BOA?
Cent. Wash
Wright State
Belmont
Portland St.
San Jose St.
Montana

Compare to
Mich. St
Colorado
Cincy
Wisconsin
on the road?

Section 116
11-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Based on early returns from PAC-10 games this year UW may have wished they had a somewhat upgraded OOC schedule. Lavin said the other night he hadn't seen a worse PAC-10 in I believe 25 years.

dawgfather11
11-30-2009, 01:35 PM
And have huskies left the confines of BOA?
Cent. Wash
Wright State
Belmont
Portland St.
San Jose St.
Montana

Compare to
Mich. St
Colorado
Cincy
Wisconsin
on the road?

Come on, look i give props for the zags playing neutral court games that's fine, but let's be fair both teams play only 1 true road game pre conference. That's fine, you guy's do go and play duke and illinois on neutral floors and we play Georgetown. That's fine. We will see how everything shakes out but really the only difference in our 2 schedules is that you guy's played in maui and we hosted a tournament on our own floor, that's it.

Angelo Roncalli
11-30-2009, 01:38 PM
but really the only difference in our 2 schedules is that you guy's played in maui and we hosted a tournament on our own floor, that's it.

What was the name of that tournament...the "invite 3 teams you know you can beat invitational"?

dawgfather11
11-30-2009, 01:45 PM
What was the name of that tournament...the "invite 3 teams you know you can beat invitational"?

I'm sorry you beat what ranked teams last week in maui? Cincinnati is ranked now but because they beat ranked Vanderbilt team and then lost a close one to you guys. I really could have said the same thing about your tournament, the maui field was one of the worst I can remember, there was no way you guy's should have lost any games out there.

ZagMania
11-30-2009, 02:07 PM
Cincy beat a ranked Vanderbilt and a ranked Maryland. We all know the Maui field wasn't that strong for Maui, but trying to compare a field of Vanderbilt, Arizona, Cincy, Maryland, and Wisconsin at a neutral site to Belmont, Portland St., and Wright State at home makes you lose a lot of credibility.

Does Washington even beat Montana or Wright State if its not at home?

a13coach
11-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Come on, look i give props for the zags playing neutral court games that's fine, but let's be fair both teams play only 1 true road game pre conference. That's fine, you guy's do go and play duke and illinois on neutral floors and we play Georgetown. That's fine. We will see how everything shakes out but really the only difference in our 2 schedules is that you guy's played in maui and we hosted a tournament on our own floor, that's it.

You really think Wright State, Belmont, San Jose St on your home court is the same as Colorado, Wisconsin, Cincy on a neutral court (2,800 mi. away)? Seriously? SJSU has not beaten a ranked team. Belmont has not beaten a ranked team. Wright St. has not beaten a ranked team. How do any of those 3 compare to Cincy, or Wisconsin?

ZagMania
11-30-2009, 02:25 PM
Also, to put this in perspective.

Aprox. Miles Gonzaga Traveled so Far: 4,500
UW: 0

I'm probably one of the few fans here who doesn't hate UW, I just don't think anything of them. But to say that at this point the schedules are about the same is ludicrous. I love how somehow playing the Illini at the United Center and Duke at MSG (I was at the last one, packed with Duke fans) are neutral games in the same vein as Georgetown coming across country to play at a much more conventional neurtral site. Under that logic Davidson is a neutral game for us as well, why didn't you throw that in there?

maynard g krebs
11-30-2009, 02:29 PM
lol Facts > baseless opinions!

OK, here's a fact. UW has played all its games at home against low-mid major teams. Another fact: GU has played a true road game against a top ten team, and three neutral site games against major conference teams. Another fact: computer generated sos figures mean little until there is sufficient data generated.

Here's a baseless opinion, shared by many: without a bunch of homer calls, UW loses to Montana last nite.

And back to facts. UW went 4-24 during one stretch against Montana's 2-3 zone. Kinda like that 0-23 stretch a few years ago against a certain team no longer on the sched.

Hope that helps.

vandalzag
11-30-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm sorry you beat what ranked teams last week in maui? Cincinnati is ranked now but because they beat ranked Vanderbilt team and then lost a close one to you guys. I really could have said the same thing about your tournament, the maui field was one of the worst I can remember, there was no way you guy's should have lost any games out there.

Couple of differences:
1. There is a big difference between an invitational on your home floor comprised of teams brought in to provide you a warm up for the season and playing a neutral site tourney where you do not control the teams, nor who you
play. While the field was weaker than years past, it was still light years above the UW's version of the Washington Generals Invitational.

2. The intent of the pre-season scheduling. GU goes out and tries to front load the schedule out of necessity, they intend to create a difficult schedule that will offset RPI hits that result from playing the bottom 2/3 of the conference. UW, on the other hand, has no intention of making a difficult pre-season schedule. They are taking a page from the Howland book of BCS teams padding stats prior to the conference, and than get elevated by playing each other.
This strategy is great as long as your conference is good. But if you have a down year and conference is down, you could be sitting home come tourney time (please see the UW 19 win season that did not get an invite to the dance if you have any questions). Any SOS advantage that UW has right now is due to luck and circumstance. Even the biggest UW homer can see that.

MickMick
11-30-2009, 04:45 PM
My lock for next year:

The Maui Invitational field will overwhelm the Huskies.

They will pull a UCLA and go 0-3 in an eight team tournament (or 1-2 if they play Chaminade).

The field is just too strong for the Huskies to make a splash.