Did we recruit Nik Raivio; if not, why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thespywhozaggedme
    Banned
    • Feb 2007

Did we recruit Nik Raivio; if not, why not?

He's got size and strength and most importantly his actually good. He's playing great against the Bruins right now, and one would've thought that since his brother was a legend, Few would've at least given him a scholly. Anyone in the know?
  • 007Zag
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Mar 2008

I think that we did recruit him, but Portland had some draw for him as well, what with his dad going there and all. but I dont have any definitive information.

Comment

• PilotNut
      Kennel Club Material
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 007Zag View Post
      I think that we did recruit him, but Portland had some draw for him as well, what with his dad going there and all. but I dont have any definitive information.
      Yes, Raivio Senior is in the UP Hall of Fame.
      Go Pilots!

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
        Banned
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Malastein
        My guess is that the staff didn't want to wait for him to develop with Bouldin and Gray on board. He took a couple years to develop at Northern Colorado, and probably thought they could get better long term four year players by the time he was ready. Which back up would you replace him with that came on board a couple years back: Gibbs?
        That's actually the exact player I was thinking of.

Comment

• TokyoZag
          Kennel Club Material
          • Feb 2007

From memory:

Nic really wanted to be a zag, but was only offered a spot as a walk on.

He took the scholly instead.

Comment

• MaroonZag22
            Kennel Club Material
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by TokyoZag View Post
            From memory:

Nic really wanted to be a zag, but was only offered a spot as a walk on.

He took the scholly instead.

I think you are absolutely correct. Shame that the Zags weren't able to convince him to come here. But a great get for UP. Best of luck to him and the Pilots...until they face the Zags! Go Zags and the WCC!

Comment

• maynard g krebs
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2009

Nik was like 5-10 or 5-11 as a hs junior, and shot a set shot from 3 because he wasn't physically strong enough to shoot a jumper, at least that's how it looked. He was one year behind Derek in hs, and I think he delayed entry into college because he was still growing. He was NOT a D1 prospect in hs (maybe big sky at best), more like D2. Like his dad, he grew late and got better and better. It happens. Think of the Curry boys for an example of late developers. Nik is in that mold.

Comment

• WMS2GUBULLDOG

Sucks we didn't get him

I wish we had him, he is so good. The only thing we are missing is a great third wing player and he could be that. Is he better than Gray or Steve? No, but he is pretty gosh darn good. Could you imagine how physical we could be with him at our two spot and Bouldin at PG? It smells like a final four lineup.

Comment

• bigblahla
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

I like the fellows we have just fine. Coach and staff didn't whiff on NR.

Grant Gibbs will do the job asked of him, when asked, without questioning. wins are more important than stats and he knows it.

IQ can make up for talent.

Congrats to the Pilots but they still have not climbed the Mountain and when they do get to the top they'll see the Zags waiting for them.

Go!! Zags!!!
                  "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• gamagin
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

this is my memory, too

Originally posted by TokyoZag View Post
                    From memory: Nic really wanted to be a zag, but was only offered a spot as a walk on. He took the scholly instead.
                    There is at least one thread that covers this on the GUB. I recall the subject was exhausted the first year we played Portland with Nic vs. Derrick.

It'd be nice if there were a quicker way to search back in the archives. My one attempt led me back to this thread.

Go TEAM Zags !
                    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• CDC84
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

TJ

I like Nik, but the best player on that team is TJ Campbell. He's the best long range shooter on any college team west of the Mississippi. He shot 53.1% from 3 point land last year. He had 143 three point shot attempts last season (4.5 per game), so it wasn't like he didn't shoot it that much. By comparison, nobody on Gonzaga's team last year had more than 142 three point shot attempts. So far in 2009/10, Campbell is shooting 60% from three (9/15).
                      Last edited by CDC84; 11-27-2009, 02:02 PM.

Comment

• MDABE80
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

He grew into a big strong kid. Derek grew too but not quite a robust as Nic. He's a handful with a very complete game. Not sure about his speed but he's a Matt type player with this HUGE IQ for the game. Upside still going on. He was a steal for UP. Hope he has a killer season.

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jun 2007

Stohl

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                          I like Nik, but the best player on that team is TJ Campbell. He's the best long range shooter on any college team west of the Mississippi. He shot 53.1% from 3 point land last year. He had 143 three point shot attempts last season (4.5 per game), so it wasn't like he didn't shoot it that much. By comparison, nobody on Gonzaga's team last year has more than 142 three point shot attempts. So far in 2009/10, Campbell is shooting 60% from three (9/15).
                          While Campbell is a very good three point shooter, Jared Stohl impresses me the most from behind the arc. The dude is uncanny and always seems to hit dagger three point shot after three point shot. Campbell may be the teams best player (Raivio is right up there), but if we are basing it solely on shooting the basketball, I personally think Stohl is the best on that team. The fact that we are even debating this, as well as the great skill of three players on Portlands team, goes to show you how strong of a lineup they can put on the floor.

While watching them last night at 6 in the morning in London I couldnt help but think that they reminded me of the 99 zags squad. Something about them. I think how well they play together as well as their amazing ability to hit the three point shot. Both teams had great point guards, and ran a three guard type lineup. Both teams bigs could step out and shoot the ball, and they both play balls out all the time. Sikma off the bench is like a Spink to me and neidermayer to a ryan floyd tpe. The 99 zags team had more depth though then i think this portland team does. However, I see many similarities between the two teams, most notably their team chemistry and how well they know each others' strengths

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                            Zag for Life
                            • Sep 2009

The thing that blows me away about Nik is the rebounding #'s, +-6.5 or so a game last year. For his size, position and level of athleticism, that's just amazing. He's developed a really complete offensive game too, hitting those 6' runners going to the basket. And 4 or 5 assists last night. Seems to do for Ptld. a lot of what MB does for the Zag, minus of course MB's pg-type skills.

Comment

• rijman
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2009

Nik has really improved and it looks like he'll have a big season. As good as he is, did the Zags need him this season or last? I don't think so.

It was strange last season watching Zag games vs. Portland constantly hearing the Raivio name. Raivio hits a 3 and I am wired to think "yeah" then I realize after a momentary lapse that he's on the other team, oh crap.
                              It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X