PDA

View Full Version : Another Honor for Austin Daye

ZaggyStardust
04-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Austin Daye makes First Team California HS Basketball. Just look at the other guys on the team! We have a great one here!!!! CONGRATS Austin!
'

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sports/ocvarsity/article_1653535.php

CDC84
04-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Tyrone Shelley and Wendell McKines also made first team all state. Both guys will be wearing Pepperdine and USF uniforms later this year.

RebornZag
04-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks ZS: I enjoyed the article. He is someone special, isn't he. I mean with those numbers?????? Bouldin is really going to be pushed next season that's for sure. Maybe it'll help him. Sure it will. Otherwise he's gonna get beat out. At times I really wondered if Matt could handle the preasure of the Big games. My guess is that Daye will rise to those occasions....I think Austin is going to be that special player....

Add Sacre to that. And Gray and Brown....

CDC84
04-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Well one would hope that the depth on next year's team will push every starter to get better and better, but I don't know if I view Daye as being a "threat" to Bouldin. He's not an off guard. Micah Downs is more of an off guard than Daye is. Austin is a wing that leans more towards the 4. If anything, he's a "threat" (if we want to use such a delicate term) to Downs and any potential starting 4 man.

I think you will likely see Daye used like Adam was used his freshman season. A dose of offensive energy coming off the bench, but with the ability to do some other things like block shots and rebound. Daye is also an exceptional passer for a wing type.

EL MUSTACIO
04-16-2007, 10:17 AM
CDC, you think that downs is going to start at the 4? Where do you put the rest of the big men?

CDC84
04-16-2007, 10:43 AM
EM = I think Downs will start at the 3. Pargo and Bouldin at the 1 and 2.

The 4 and 5 are more complicated. The only guys that are true 5 men are Davis, Sacre and Foster. By a 5 man, I mean someone who has height and who plays in the low blocks. Josh wanders out on the perimeter, and Brown/Pendo are undersized 4's. Daye and Downs could play some 4 if called upon.

I think you are going to be seeing some heavy duty competition in practice for those last 2 starting positions. What Few may do is start Josh, and use Davis/Sacre or Brown/Pendo depending on how big the opposing frontline is. This is just conjecture on my part...

Nevtelen
04-16-2007, 12:09 PM
Aren't you forgetting Kuso? My projection for the starting 4 and 5 (at least at the beginning of the year) was Josh at the 4 and Kuso as the 5. Then who knows what'll happen if players can provide some impact right away, but I thought Kuso would probably start as a starter since he's our only experienced true 5 man.

CDC84
04-16-2007, 01:28 PM
How could I forget about Kuso? Gosh GU has so many players next season. But yes, Kuso definitely falls into that 5 man role. However, I feel we really need someone to be able to deliver scoring at that position....not just put backs and dunks, but someone you can throw the ball into. Kuso is not that kind of player right now. One would hope that he could work with the staff to develop his low post skills more. He certainly has the work ethic and the basketball IQ to improve a lot this offseason.

I don't think we need someone to put up Batista like numbers at the 5 spot. But that player needs to be able to do enough down low to keep defenses honest and keep the opponent from crowding the perimeter.

D Hark 2003
04-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Thats a good point about the need for scoring from the post, that tends to take teams from being sweet sixteen bound to being final four bound... Hopefully Josh will realize that he needs to fill that role this year as i dont see Kuso consistently providing scoring from the post (other than put backs and hustle points).

BroncoZAG615
04-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks ZS: I enjoyed the article. He is someone special, isn't he. I mean with those numbers?????? Bouldin is really going to be pushed next season that's for sure. Maybe it'll help him. Sure it will. Otherwise he's gonna get beat out. At times I really wondered if Matt could handle the preasure of the Big games. My guess is that Daye will rise to those occasions....I think Austin is going to be that special player....

Add Sacre to that. And Gray and Brown....

I really couldn't disagree more. I don't know how Matt could have performed any better in big game situations. I would be shocked if Mr. Daye could put up 14 against Carolina, 21 against UW in a HUGE game at the time, double figures against Nevada and Georgia, and seven times in double figures in the WCC, not to mention 14 points in the WCC championship game against Santa Clara. At times, he struggled with turnovers but never had more than 5. And those five came against Georgia. I would be extremely shocked if Matt was beaten out by an underweight freshman with no experience. Matt's strides next year will be superb and he tightens up his passes and continues to work his jumper. Let's not let the lofty numbers of a recruit cause us to chide on an already established player in this rotation. Austin will not get the number of shots he got here and his length can be matched. Not by many but by some. Thus his boards will go down. He will be a stud in the future but as for now, lets let him put on some pounds and give him a year before we crown him.

RebornZag
04-16-2007, 04:02 PM
Posted by BroncoZag
"I would be extremely shocked if Matt was beaten out by an underweight freshman..."

I'm sure many people felt the same way about Bouldin last year beating out PMAC. Not only will Daye push Bouldin, he'll push Micah Downs as well. And not only Daye but Gray as well. My point is that I don't believe that too many positions are safe and secure as BroncoZag may believe. These Freshman, along with Ira Brown, ARE going to push the upperclassmen. I think the fact that they CAN challenge our upperclass is a great thing. We will only get better. Players with the talent that these guys bring to the court are not going to be players that will want to sit on the bench.

I may be alone but (imo) Matt B. was a liability to GU at times last year. He has some good things that he brings, but his biggest liability is his defense and you don't have to believe me, but he hurt us real bad on defense. He was too slow too often. AS great as Daye is, Gray is right beside him. They both can play defense. And if we are to improve and get where some of you think we will go we WILL need to improve on defense....TEAM DEFENSE...His other liability, at times, was his 3 point shooting. There were stretches (and it was mostly on the road) when he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. We have just lost a deadly shooter to graduation, and we will need someone who can put those 3's down with confidence and consistency. I have my doubts about Matt. He was a good passer at times, and other times he turned the ball over way too much. Turnovers killed us last year, and Few must demand more out of his guards next year if he wishes to improve any. Our guard play last year (and I'm thinking about turnovers) was about the worse that I think I've ever seen it.

I think if any of our returning players are as overconfident as BroncoZag I feel even more that they are in trouble. Last years team needs to improve A LOT....not a little....A LOT. Getting beat in the first round by a so so Indiana team is not great in my opinion, and to get beat by their guards the way we did, left a sour taste in my mouth. I for one, am sick and tired of watching our guards get killed by opposing guards. Maybe it won't be Daye....Maybe it'll be Larry G...If I was coaching next years team I'd send out a huge warning that everyone needs to come prepared to battle and go to war next year.

I'm warning You!!! Watch out for Dustin Daye!

ZagNut08
04-16-2007, 04:50 PM
I dont want to go against kuso, but I think he will have to fight the hardest for minutes next year inside. We have Theo, who imo has much more promise...and has not been playing for a few years (thus will need game minutes to get up to speed) and sacre who is very underated imo. I think Kuso may be the odd man out inside next year. I hate to say it after what he gave us this year in terms of heart and hustle...but it may be the case.

J-Mac Zag Forever
04-16-2007, 05:46 PM
Some of you guys were not watching the same games I watched. If you don't agree with me, that Boulden has the potential to be the best guard in the history of Gonzaga. I record the games will watch each game watching a player not the ball. THAT KID IS GOOD. He was just a freshman playing out of position in d1 bball, in 1 of the top teams in the country. Give me a break. Go back in the history of the Zags and under these conditions show me a kid that did better. You critics take this REPLY and post it on your wall and eat it next year when he proves me right.

skan72
04-16-2007, 06:09 PM
Those freshmen are going to be very good, obviously the best recruitng class ever (in Zags history) as everyone knows will be good. Three or even four of them good push the regulars for some serious playing time. But I believe Micah Downs is going to be great, he is going to break out; he was a McDonald's All-American and that doesn't transfer automatically to being a great thing in college but I believe Micah has it. Next season he is going to blow up and by his senior year he will definitely be a consideration for being drafted. He is a very athletic guy, can shoot and all the good offensive stuff, but he can also play good D as he is very athletic and gets up for blocks. I think he will be one of the better players to come out of Gonzaga. This year he only had those games at the end of the year to get acclimated. But he was doing very well by the end games. Watch out for him the next two years.

Zagdog71
04-16-2007, 07:50 PM
With so much talent and potential coming in, Coach Few is going to have a coach's dream/nightmare in selecting starters. But depending how the new guy's develop, I'd like to see the staff work on having the bench rotate in frequently. Those schools that use their depth and trust players are the schools I love to watch. Helps when there are injuries, foul problems, etc. I don't like the philosophy that a player with talent needs a year to grow, learn the system, etc. I remember Morison and Sean at MSG that first year. We have so much upside next year, the coaches are going to need to sub the "A" team for really strong second and third units. That could really work in keeping the team fresh, making adjustments by the opponent difficult. In the past, GU seems to rely on a few key players. We should be able to go deep on the bench this year. I hope that the coach will adjust to that when the players show what they can do.

roxdoc
04-16-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm a bit confused by the heated discussion above about how Bouldin (a 1 or 2) is really going to have to fight to keep from being replaced by Daye (a 3 or 4). Is there some sort of new offensive set that I haven't heard about! :confused:

pbriz
04-16-2007, 08:25 PM
i agree rox. I think what people see is that bouldin was forced to play the 3 last year when raivio and pargo were also on the floor... it makes sense that matt would slide into the 2 next year or take over the one at times (if his quickness improves). Shouldn't be an issue.

EL MUSTACIO
04-16-2007, 08:40 PM
CDC, or, well, whoever...

About Josh starting the 4 and Kuso, the five...It seemed to me like Few was really reluctant to put those two guys in together. IMO, it was a matter of them being too similar and Few wanted one of the athletic, tall, blockers on the court at all times. What is the board's thoughts of this continuing this year?

Also, I got the impression that Few (unintentionally) took out the "hot" players this year. At the start of the year, Heytvelt was tearing it up during a span, but as soon as he made one mistake, he was benched. It might just be paranoia, but I felt that it happened to multiple players this year. Thoughts?

roxdoc
04-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Last year Few had Kuso and Josh both playing 5 (when you could get JH to stay in the paint) so they were seldom in at same time. This year with Kuso, Theo, and Sacre potential 5's and Josh plus Daye, Pendo, and possibly Brown at 4 you will probably see them on the court together.

I'll leave the second part of your question to wiser posters :D

EL MUSTACIO
04-16-2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Roxdox. Its very appreciated.

RebornZag
04-16-2007, 09:11 PM
The point of this thread is about Dustin Daye. I just think he's going to be pretty darn good folks. Better than some of you think. And that is GOOD NEWS my friends. There are many people out there who feel he should have been an McD's All American and being placed on the 1st Team All California Team, I feel, suggests the fact that he is sailing below radar and I think that that is just great. He's going to sneak up on a lot of people. We all know Matt Bouldin was good last year. At times very good. And yes he was a Freshman. And yes Dustin Daye is going to be a Freshman. But here's my prediction...and you can paste it on your refrigerator....Dustin Daye will be better then Matt Bouldin was last year.

I also think that we will see Bouldin playing the point more but I don't see him taking too much time from Pargo. The thing about Pargo my friends is that he plays very good defensce. He is the #1 defender back from last years guard corps. I also agree that Downs showed that he is tough on Defense and a good rebounder. I've said it before and I'll say it again...Matt needs to improve on defense. Daye has very good defensive stats.

And then we're not even talking about Ira Brown yet. I think a lot of people see him as a #4 too but he's not. He's more of a wing player who has great hops. If he's as athletic as I think he is he may just end up the starter at the #2 or #3 positions. With guys like Heytvelt, Kuso, Sacre and Pendo I don't think we need Ira at the 4 or 5. He's only 6'4" tall. But he could be a heck of a #3.

And then we haven't had much discussion on Larry G, who could also be very very tough... If he proves to be the stopper on defense that we think he is, he just may see a lot of playing time. When I say that these guys will be pushing the starters, I mean just that. We are loaded and that can only make us a much better team as long as everyone keeps in mind that the TEAM is always FIRST!!! If this group can do that we will all be in for a tremendous treat. One that's even better than chocolate ice cream.

Here's a list of the guys who didn't play last year: Larry G, Theo Davis, Dustin Daye, Stephen Gray, Ira Brown and Robert Sacre. Could any of these guys be starters on your ZAG team?

BroncoZAG615
04-16-2007, 09:15 PM
his name is austin daye

Reborn I think you are correct about how Matt has been a liability on defense. He had a slow first step on defense and struggled to stay with his man. However, I did not see many bright stops overall on our defense so I really think it needs to be a team effort. By no means did I infer that Matt can just show up and be the starter and star on this team, he will be pushed. That being said, I reitterate that the fact he was a freshman forced to try and fit a role he wasn't accustomed to. Coming in we knew Matt's liabilities were the 3 point shot and defensive presence. That being said I think next year he will be able to establish his mid range and penetration game more with shooters such as Downs, Daye, Gray, and a very confident Pendo. I can see his role being very different next year..

EL MUSTACIO
04-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Bronco, I dont know about you but I think hes purposefully calling him Dustin. Might catch on. Who knows?

RebornZag
04-16-2007, 09:19 PM
my bad for the name thing...it's def. a weakness of mine...sorry guys!!!

Good points BroncoZag: Thanks. I can def. see your point. El Mastacio: Your point is also very good and needs to be considered. You are very sly!!!!!!!