PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Kepkay

thespywhozaggedme
04-15-2007, 03:21 PM
He's a 6'1 pg from BC who has drawn comparisons to Steve Nash, probably because he's a good white pg from BC more than anything. Anyway Kepkay led all of juco ball in scoring @ 27.9 ppg.

He committed to Giacolleti at Utah but since he's been fired maybe Ray can bring him to GU?

Here's a blurb about Kepkay from the Utes website:

Kepkay, who is a native of Vancouver, B.C., was named a first team NJCAA All-American last season. He led the junior college ranks in scoring, averaging 27.9 points per game. Kepkay also ranked fifth among junior college players in free throw percentage (88.2) and 22nd in 3-point field goal percentage (47.4). Kepkay averaged 3.9 assists and 3.2 rebounds per game.

Kepkay also made official visits to St. John's, San Diego State and Duquesne. He will play in the Top 20 Junior College All-American Game April 20-21 in Texas.

thespywhozaggedme
04-17-2007, 10:48 AM
I wanted to bump this in light of the fact that PMac is officially gone. I could be wrong but we now seem woefully thin at pg, Pargo, Bouldin when Pargo needs a breather, then who? Kepkay was a D1 Juco AA, and led the nation in scoring, unlike IB who was a D2 AA. He was recruited by Giacoletti and now that he's at GU and no longer in Salt Lake can we get him here? Who's the backup pg now?

brasszag
04-17-2007, 10:51 AM
I wanted to bump this in light of the fact that PMac is officially gone. I could be wrong but we now seem woefully thin at pg, Pargo, Bouldin when Pargo needs a breather, then who? Kepkay was a D1 Juco AA, and led the nation in scoring, unlike IB who was a D2 AA. He was recruited by Giacoletti and now that he's at GU and no longer in Salt Lake can we get him here? Who's the backup pg now?

No scholarship room regardless for next year.

lothar98zag
04-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Unless he wants to walk-on, I don't see this happening.

W/ DB & PMAC out that means GU is now at it's scholarship limit.

D Hark 2003
04-17-2007, 11:00 AM
to add to lothars' point, GU doesn't need another point guard right now even with PMAC gone, we have Bouldin and Pargo both very good point guards, and we still have some walk-ons to be the emergency point guard in case both Bouldin and Pargo are in foul trouble or hurt. I say we save room for the two guards from Bellarmine Prep that are going to be juniors this up comming year. That means around the time bouldin is handing over the reigns these guys from bellarming will be ready to take over, if they dont go somewhere else....

Angelo Roncalli
04-17-2007, 11:01 AM
The chances are slim and none...and slim just left the room.

MDABE80
04-17-2007, 11:22 AM
I suppose Ray and Mark know about kepkey.....especially Ray. If there is such a big need for him, they'll go get him (Kepkay). As for me, I'm very sorry to see how things worked out with PMAC. It's a loss.......for whatever the reason...it's a loss. Big talent and I still am not clear as to why this kid with all this talent couldn't be brought along to be all we thought he could be. I can understand Burgess ( with the bad wheels and ll) but I don't understand how a "can't miss" missed. It's a sad day for Abe. This past year, our Zags struggled without a true PG even though Few made it work.

What's next coould be really good or pretty average. Jeremy has done yeoman's work at the point but I'm still worried. We need a Collison type player. I don't see one for this upcoming year. We have among the finest Bigs and Wings in the college game. Out front though, I'm beginning to scratch my head. We're sure going to miss PMAC's speed and defense ( when it was needed he did pretty well I thought). Our coaches always seem to find somebody when the chips are down. Abe

pbriz
04-17-2007, 11:55 AM
even with the loss of PMAC gray is coming who should look to get some decent minutes, plus Bouldin and Pargo. What intrigues me most is that a realistic and devastating line up could be on the floor with Pargo/Bouldin/Gray at point and then Downs at the 2, Pendo, Theo/Kuso, and Josh... I don't see how a WCC team or even some of the powerhouses could plan to guard an offense like that (or try to score down low against it).

That is one scary lineup and what is even scarier is that I didn't even mention Daye, Sacre, Ira or LG.

Northspokane
04-17-2007, 12:00 PM
ABE they cant go get him (Kepkay) there is something called a scholarship limit. and now with pmac leaving GU is right at it. SO KEPKAY IS NOT COMING TO GU PERIOD. unless someone leaves or wants to pay 35,000 a year to be a third pg.

Hogan
04-17-2007, 12:04 PM
IMHO we do need another point guard.Matt may be able to handle the point offensively,but no way can he guard top 25 point guards.And Gray,at this stage is not a point guard at all.

Angelo Roncalli
04-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Gray "can" bring the ball up...but he is not a point guard. His team posted him up far more than it used him at the point.

Nevtelen
04-17-2007, 12:11 PM
I don't think we need another point per se, but we do need someone to spell Pargo sometimes. I think some of our best ball last year was played when we had Raivio and Pargo sharing the PG duties and swapping out on different possessions. To that end, I don't know that we need to recruit a true PG, but it might help if our 2 guards (like Gray) worked on their passing, ball-handling, etc so that they can also distribute and bring up the ball/start things running if necessary.

jigga5
04-17-2007, 12:42 PM
you guys know Kepkay was Sacre's Pg during sacres junior year, they won it all that year. But he has already recommited to UTAH so noway he comes to gonzaga /thread.

sonuvazag
04-17-2007, 12:49 PM
When we suggest that Matt is a liability defensively against the point, remember that he can be matched up with the opponent's off-guard or wing and anyone on our squad playing the 2 (Gray, Pargo, LG) will be perfectly suited to guard their quickest player. If they have two super-quicks, well... Matt's just going to have to be faster.

skan72
04-17-2007, 01:02 PM
What about John Stockton's nephew coming in at point in '08? That would be cool. Is he any good? I've only read about how him and that other dude with spanish type name ( both grade 11s) lead Ferris to the 4A State title.

thespywhozaggedme
04-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Boy, I dunno. Last year we started 3 pg's, for all intent and purposes, and a 4th that came off the bench. This season with that 4th pg now gone, we'll only have two on the roster and they'll both be starting. Gray is in no way, shape or form a pg. Is anyone else concerned with this unexpected prediciment?

Nevtelen
04-17-2007, 05:28 PM
Not yet. Lots of ball-handlers was a real strength for last year's team. It worked well if we used it right. But there are definitely very good teams that only have 1 or 2 PGs with limited back-up. Heck, think about the team two years ago - really only Raivio and PMAC with a freshman Pargo as the only backup - before Errol came back there wasn't much depth at the 2, either. I'm not worried about this as an issue until I see that it becomes an issue.

thespywhozaggedme
04-17-2007, 05:34 PM
At least that was 3 who played yhe point. As of right now we have 2, count 'em, 2 pg's on the roster. I do think Micah can bring up the ball, but there's a difference between someone who can bring up the ball and a true pg.

CDC84
04-17-2007, 05:53 PM
I think what you are likely to see is Few substituting Pargo for Bouldin and vice versa quite a lot during games to keep them fresh and out of foul trouble so that they can play in unison at the end of games. When either Pargo or Bouldin go out, Downs will slide to the 2 or Gray will come in.

I don't know if I view this as a major predicament. There are lot of teams in the country, including occasional top 25 type teams, that don't even have what you could call a real point guard. Gonzaga has 2 guys that can play the point. Some teams have just one point guard, and they just change the nature of the offense - sometimes simplifying it - when that guy goes out to get a quick blow.

I am sure the staff have a battle plan in place, and that these things have been carefully considered.

EL MUSTACIO
04-17-2007, 06:18 PM
Pargo is a tough kid. He can stay in the game for a long time if needed. He can run and he can defend. Out of all the team, Pargo had one of the most, if not the most minutes. it seemed like he was always in the game. With Bouldin being able to do the duties when Pargo does need a short breather, we wont be substituting in a less talented Pg. Imo, we WILL have this have a working Pg system way before next season starts.

RebornZag
04-17-2007, 07:26 PM
I think if we needed another pt guard Few would have kept PMAC. We already have two Pt guards. If there is a need for a third we will use Daye. In every video I've seen of him he seems to be at the point all the time. If he isn't bringing the ball up, the pt guards feed the ball to him at the point. I think Daye would fill in nicely there. Don't let his size fool you. I saw a lot of guards trying to guard him at the point, and they always seemed to be picking up their jock straps.

thespywhozaggedme
04-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Reborn,
What do you mean, "Few would've kept PMac". I was under the impression that he left under his own valition. Are you saying that Few wasn't going to renew his schollie? Do you have little insider info, perhaps? I thought that PMac would get major minutes this upcoming season relieving JP and MB. Daye, like Gray is in no way, shape or form a pg. Again, being able to bring up the ball is not the same as being a true pg.

RebornZag
04-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Quote by Thespywhozaggedme:

"What do you mean, "Few would've kept PMac". I was under the impression that he left under his own valition. Are you saying that Few wasn't going to renew his schollie?"

I spent most of my effort explaining my thoughts on another thread...The one by BobZ announcing that PMAC won't be back. We know one fact...we had more players then scholarships. Two people had to leave. I really don't know everything that went into PMAC's decision to leave GU, but I am sure that his deminished playing time had something to do with it.

I do disagree with you, and others, who think that PMAC was going to play considerable minutes next year. I also disagree about his ability to help the Zags. I don't disagree with his raw talent. He has it. But he has lost his ability to play the game at the highest level in a way that the Zags need him to play. I also believe that it DOES have a lot to do with the talent that is coming in next year. I've been saying it for a solid week now. These kids are going to beat out players for some time on the court. GU will be fine at the Point. Pargo played it 80% of the time last year. Matt began getting more playing time there at the end of the season.

And who knows about Kepkay...There has been some rumors about Foster moving on...If that happened we'd have a schollie.

thespywhozaggedme
04-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Players who spent time at the point last season: Pargo, Bouldin, DRav and PMac. Players who will be playing the point this upcoming season: Pargo, Bouldin. This concerns me. Big time.

Angelo Roncalli
04-18-2007, 10:23 AM
There is no substance to the "rumor" of Foster moving on. He has gained a lot of weight. Two of the assistant coaches are very enthusiastic about his progress and his future role.

omahazag
04-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Quote by Thespywhozaggedme:

"What do you mean, "Few would've kept PMac". I was under the impression that he left under his own valition. Are you saying that Few wasn't going to renew his schollie?"

I spent most of my effort explaining my thoughts on another thread...The one by BobZ announcing that PMAC won't be back. We know one fact...we had more players then scholarships. Two people had to leave. I really don't know everything that went into PMAC's decision to leave GU, but I am sure that his deminished playing time had something to do with it.

I do disagree with you, and others, who think that PMAC was going to play considerable minutes next year. I also disagree about his ability to help the Zags. I don't disagree with his raw talent. He has it. But he has lost his ability to play the game at the highest level in a way that the Zags need him to play. I also believe that it DOES have a lot to do with the talent that is coming in next year. I've been saying it for a solid week now. These kids are going to beat out players for some time on the court. GU will be fine at the Point. Pargo played it 80% of the time last year. Matt began getting more playing time there at the end of the season.

And who knows about Kepkay...There has been some rumors about Foster moving on...If that happened we'd have a schollie.

Reborn:

I disagree with you that we are fine at the point next year despinte P-MAC's departure. Matt is not a point guard, he had problems turning the ball over in the half court let alone bringing the ball up in the front court. I'd rather have P-MAC bringing the ball up the court versus a press than a freshman, I'm not saying that our freshman aren't capable, but just that the point guard position requires someone with experience and poise that only comes with experience. We are very thin at the point.

As for your comment that P-MAC can't help the team next year, you say just the opposite in one of your previous posts (posted on the 14th i think). So which is it? Pargo cant' play an entire game, and bringing the ball of the court is something we struggled with last year. P-MAC would have helped with that not to mention his ability to play defense against quick guards.

In any event, we can't change the fact that P-MAC is gone. The GU coaches will have to figure out, and I"m sure they will, who else we can rely on to bring the ball up the court besides Pargo.

UberZagFan
04-18-2007, 11:44 AM
Matt is not a point guard

Interesting statement.

omahazag
04-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Interesting statement.

What are your thoughts Uber? That's just my opinion.

roxdoc
04-18-2007, 11:55 AM
Some time back there was a lengthy thread on who should be the starting point guard next year. Pargo or Matt? By the sound of it, posters were fairly equally divided, and there was quite a bit of talk about Matt being out of place unless he was point. Although the one place we are not deep, I personally feel that barring injuries we have it covered with Gray in the mix as a 2 guard. If you will a 3-man rotation for two spots. Also just a walk on but Sorenson is still around isn't he?

sonuvazag
04-18-2007, 11:57 AM
I know I'm not inside this conversation between Uber and Omaha, but I was really tempted to address it before. I believe Matt and Jeremy are like the yin and yang of ideal point guards... like John Stockton and Isaiah Thomas who don't have the same talents, but most would say they are equally awesome with respect to running the point with the highest efficiency...

I saw some of the ball handling issue you mention, Omaha, but I doubt it will continue next year... if it does, you're right. I just don't expect a problem like you do.

omahazag
04-18-2007, 12:10 PM
I know I'm not inside this conversation between Uber and Omaha, but I was really tempted to address it before. I believe Matt and Jeremy are like the yin and yang of ideal point guards... like John Stockton and Isaiah Thomas who don't have the same talents, but most would say they are equally awesome with respect to running the point with the highest efficiency...

I saw some of the ball handling issue you mention, Omaha, but I doubt it will continue next year... if it does, you're right. I just don't expect a problem like you do.

Go ahead and jump in sonuva, I'm interested to see what others have to say. My post was directed at Reborn's claim that Matt can handle the point the other 20% of the time that Pargo isn't out there. I'm not sure he is our guy, but now with P-MAC's departure, he may well have to be along with Gray. I hope you are right, not me.

Nevtelen
04-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Bouldin had some turnover issues last season, definitely, but they were freshman issues which I hope he'll grow out of not unable-to-handle-the-ball issues. Matt clearly has a great idea of how to run the point, whatever other faults he may have. Also, I'm looking for the big freshman-soph jump for him, which would be great.

CDC84
04-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Pargo also had turnover issues his freshman year too. I believe he had a negative assist to turnover ratio. That reversed his sophomore year, and his A/T is only likely to get better this coming up season.

The main issue with Bouldin, IMO, is his ballhandling. He just doesn't have the handles of guys like Raivio, Pargo and PMAC. Part of it is being 6-5, but the way he fumbles the ball at times, it almost makes me think that he has abnormally small hands or something.

D Hark 2003
04-18-2007, 12:35 PM
I understand people being concerned about the point guard situation, but I guess I am wondering why people think Pargo and Bouldin are not good enough to handle the point duties. The only situation I see where the point would be a problem is if both Pargo and Bouldin get into foul trouble, and that isnt going to happen very often. Pargo is the leader of the team if you ask me, he will probably play point 90% of the time unless in foul trouble. He brings the swagger, attitude and fearlessness that other players feed off of. When that foul trouble arises we have Bouldin to insert at point. Matt looked like he is more comfortable passing first and creating for others offensively than looking for his own shot anyways, he looked like a natural point too me. Yes Bouldin was a little inconsistent last year at times, but he was a freshman, and now he has one year under his belt. He will undoubtedly come into this year vastly improved and more confident. For those saying he cant guard quick points, I disagree with you there, but we can always play a zone if he is having trouble. This upcomming year will be something special if you ask me. Pargo is a special player and we all saw the flashes of brilliance from Bouldin as a freshman....
I like PMAC but we all saw his lack of confidence last year. I dont know where that came from, but he was not playing well at all. I'm just being real. I think bouldin and pargo are far better basketball players than PMAC, I'm not trying to put him down, thats just how it is IMO from my observations.

Akzag
04-18-2007, 01:44 PM
Just to throw this out there ...

It has been a long time since we have had the pleasure of watching LG play, and while he isn't a Pargo or a Raivio, I don't really recall that he had any major problems handling the rock. If nothing else, he has had two years to absorb Few's system. No, he isn't a point guard, but in a pinch, I think he would be a more appropriate "option #3" than Gray ... at least this year ....

brasszag
04-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Strange bagging on Bouldin as a PG.

It's only the position he's played his entire life (except for this year).

D Hark 2003
04-18-2007, 02:23 PM
good call brasszag i forgot about that... he looks like a 6'5 stockton to me.

omahazag
04-18-2007, 02:33 PM
Strange bagging on Bouldin as a PG.

It's only the position he's played his entire life (except for this year).

Unless i'm mistaken, he was recruited as, and ranked by all the scouting services as, a shooting guard. I'm not saying he can't do it, just that i don't think it's his position on this team.

D Hark 2003
04-18-2007, 02:59 PM
Go ahead and think that all you want you are entitled to your opinion...

Like the great Big Lebowski aka the dude says "thats just, like... your opinion man!" :D

I am not a pro scout or college recruiter or anything, but basketball has been my fav sport since i was two and I consider myself a decent evaluator of talent, and from what i have seen of Bouldin he has court vision the ability to make excellent passes, and a good knowledge of the flow of the game. If the one thing you are worried about was his occasional inconsitant play as a freshman and his occasional turnover, that will go away with more game time in college. Players have to adjust to the speed of the college game vs high school games(which have no shot clock and are much slower than college) in their first year and most of the time it takes them a little time to adjust. He was a good player as a freshman going through that adjustment and therefore he will be vastly improved as a sophomore and so on...

skan72
04-18-2007, 03:26 PM
To echo some of what D Hark said: I saw Boulding play quit a few times before the season started and during, and he seemed like he had good court vision and was a superb passer. I think all he needs to do is clean up his ballhandling a bit and he could run the point no problem. And despite what all the scouting services say etc, he has run point his entire life.

IrishZag
04-18-2007, 03:41 PM
We have two point guards in our starting lineup and we are not deep at PG?

Matt Bouldin is a point guard and there were some issues of him being uncomfortable about not seeing enough time at PG this season. He was recruited to play point guard, and his best shot at playing at the next level is in the point guard position.

As for him defending other point guards, we have a pleothera of defensive options at 2 and 3 who could guard an exceedingly quick guard. I do not see how this is a concern when half of the season this he and Pendo were routienly guarding 4's this year.

Outside of that, how can you justify that PMAC would have been seeing that significant of PG minutes next year? Bouldin and Jeremy were each averaging about 30 minutes a game towards the end of last season. In addition to that PMAC saw just about zero time at the point this last season. He almost exclusively played the 2 which could explain his timid behavior seeing he was oftentimes out of position. Don't get me wrong, I loved PMAC and wanted him to do well, but I feel that if he thought he had a legitimate shot of seeing minutes this year he would have stayed. He probably weighed his option and considering he will have his degree, he will be able to move on next year. (On a side note isn't there a new rule that he can transfer without penalty if he pursues a graduate degree somewhere else?)

When have we needed 3 point guards in the past? Last year we were spoiled by the fact that we had four legitimate point guards that shuffled around but that is hardly the norm.

2003 we had Winston/Blake starting together with Reisman playing sparingly.
2004 we had Blake with Raivio and Bankhead spelling him very rarely.
2005 we had Raivio with Freshman PMAC as his only backup (Floyd can barely be counted as a reserve)

I would say Bouldin/Pargo is better than any of the previously mentioned combinations and we did pretty well each of those years. If we have an injury things will be uncomfortable, but adjustments will be made just like after Josh this year. I know very little about Mast and Sorensen, but I am guessing that at the very least they are able to dribble the ball up the court and start the offense if we are in desparate need of a PG.

D Hark 2003
04-18-2007, 03:45 PM
good call irishzag