PDA

View Full Version : New Roster (& discuss 2007-08 changes)

J-Mac Zag Forever
04-14-2007, 05:36 PM
The new BB 2008 players roster is up on the Zags Web.
Austin's last name is spelled wrong!

RebornZag
04-14-2007, 05:45 PM
Good find J-Mac. I notice Sacre and Daye have gained some weight and that is great I think. It's so great to see LG's name on the roster. I like Sacre's and Brown's size. It's going to be a treat to see THIS team play...

J-Mac Zag Forever
04-14-2007, 05:58 PM
David Burgess is gone from the roster!

RebornZag
04-14-2007, 06:37 PM
pmac IS still on it...I think that's good. At least for today. I think that PMAC is the kind of guy that could still help the Zags a lot. You never know when he's going to bust out......... And I think He and LG could do real damage in a press together.

spudzag
04-14-2007, 06:37 PM
Interesting, 16, still 14 scholorship players. Will someone go off and stay? Interesting to see how this unfolds.

ZagNative
04-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks for finding this. I didn't notice the link posted. Here it is (http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/gonz-m-baskbl-mtt.html).

Sixteen players listed, no David Burgess. Two known walk-ons, Sorenson and Mast. Scholarship roster still overfull by one. More news to come? Someone not playing on scholie perhaps? My deficiencies at math perhaps rearing their ugly head once again?

Edited to add: SpudZag's steeel trap mind crossed paths with mine in cyber space.

J-Mac Zag Forever
04-14-2007, 07:01 PM
I don't pmacis leaving, at least I hope not.

brasszag
04-14-2007, 07:20 PM
I can't see David Burgess transferring either - after already sitting out a year from his transfer to GU.

I'd think it's more likely he'd go as a walk on and replace Mast or Sorenson in that capacity.

LongIslandZagFan
04-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Fox sports has him as transferring.

:link:

Otherwise its nothing but rumor. I have trouble believing either would go anywhere.

a) PMAC is a senior. Yes he is graduating, but why leave when you have committed so much time up to this point. Believability factor without substantiated data 5 out of 10.

b) Burgess would have to go to a lower division school. His elegibility, with med redshirt is going to run out before he'd play again. Believability factor 2/10.

Please provide more than hearsay.

ZagNative
04-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Who shut the lights out? Where are we? It's dark in here! Someone hold me! I'm scared! Is this purgatory? Oh, no! Not the other place!

Edited to add: Please excuse my momentary hysteria while this thread was being moved. I've changed the armor I soiled in a moment of cowardice and am now am as brave as ever.

NorthWestZag
04-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Interesting, 16, still 14 scholorship players. Will someone go off and stay? Interesting to see how this unfolds.

I count 13. I do not believe that Micah, Andrew, or Jordan have scholy's.

ZagNative
04-14-2007, 08:21 PM
I believe BZ has always said Micah is on scholie. It would be very weird if he weren't.

MBZags
04-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Micah has a scholarship.

Interesting about Burgess. It could be that they accidentally omitted him; after all, they did spell Daye's name wrong. Maybe a webmaster screw up?

thickman1
04-14-2007, 09:08 PM
I can see how you could spell a name wrong - that's easy enough. Completely omitting a guy? That's a little harder to believe. I'm sure this will all wash out soon enough. I really hope Pierre stays around - probably for selfish reasons as I have always liked him.

Nevtelen
04-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Plus, it's not like whoever updated the roster would had to do much work - Burgess' info was already there - and just forgot or neglected it. I take this as a pretty strong sign that Burgess will not be a Zag this next year.

As for PMAC, who knows. Rumors abound, but my guess is that he'll be here next year. Where that last scholy comes from is anyone's guess.

sittingon50
04-14-2007, 10:35 PM
errors, shouldn't Sacre be listed as a Centre?

NorthWestZag
04-15-2007, 02:34 AM
OK. Well then one of those 14 guys does not have a scholly. Maybe Will?

I am not sure what the story is on Burgess.

And I think PMAC is staying. He does well in school with his broadcast stuff and I think he will do that for his career and not basketball. GU pays for his tuition. Why leave now as a senior?

jbslicer
04-15-2007, 03:17 AM
Sittingon50 knows his Canadian.

primal23
04-15-2007, 08:27 AM
Here is the fox sports link that has PMAC and Burgess leaving
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox/2007/04/12/2007_Transfer_List

gamagin
04-15-2007, 09:13 AM
but it makes little sense to let fox beat you to the punch. it's not in synch with the GU program to handle something like this in this manner.

it's disprespectful all around, if true.

thespywhozaggedme
04-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Replace one canadian pg with a better one? I don't know if the rumor is true or not but Primal provided a thread in which foxsport has PMac transferring. It would be a shame but would that mean that we could go after Kepkay. He's a 6'1 pg from BC who has drawn comparisons to Steve Nash, probably because he's a good white pg from BC more than anything. Anyway Kepkay led all of juco ball in scoring @ 27.9 ppg.

He committed to Giacolleti at Utah but since he's been fired maybe Ray can bring him to GU?

Here's a blurb about Kepkay from the Utes website:

Kepkay, who is a native of Vancouver, B.C., was named a first team NJCAA All-American last season. He led the junior college ranks in scoring, averaging 27.9 points per game. Kepkay also ranked fifth among junior college players in free throw percentage (88.2) and 22nd in 3-point field goal percentage (47.4). Kepkay averaged 3.9 assists and 3.2 rebounds per game.

Kepkay also made official visits to St. John's, San Diego State and Duquesne. He will play in the Top 20 Junior College All-American Game April 20-21 in Texas.

primal23
04-15-2007, 09:24 AM
Now I'm not saying yes or no they are gone, am really hoping that PMAC is still going to be here.

jigga5
04-15-2007, 09:57 AM
Kepkay is damn good, but he is not a pure point guard. You cant compare him to Steve Nash becuz kepkay has always been a scorer. O and yea he aint 6"1 hes very small. Ide say 5'10 at best. But nonetheless he is sick and is reppin BC pretty well.

BoltZag
04-15-2007, 09:59 AM
Maybe I'm seeing things, but this roster definitely includes PMAC. Nice that some folks already replaced him on the lineup.

http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/gonz-m-baskbl-mtt.html

sittingon50
04-15-2007, 10:15 AM
No scholies available. We gain 4 next season (Daye, Gray, Sacre, Brown) so need to lose 4. DRav, Mallon, ?, ?. If as reported (intimated) that Burgess & P MAC are gone, then it works. Other possibilities are one of the 4 incoming don't qualify (apparently not likely) or one of the returners gives up his scholie & pays his own way to play (doubtful, @ GU prices).

zagar
04-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Not gonna happen.

http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041107aab.html

ZagNative
04-15-2007, 11:11 AM
but it makes little sense to let fox beat you to the punch. it's not in synch with the GU program to handle something like this in this manner.

it's disrespectful all around, if true.

Couldn't agree more, gamagin. I've e-mailed Goodman to ask for attribution of his claim. The thing that is troubling to me is that I've watched Goodman get the drop on most commentators where coaching changes have been made this year, so he has some credibility to me.

I am uncomfortable with us gleefully jumping on this unattributed rumor to so quickly replace P-Mac, especially. Can we just wait until we know for sure that P-Mac is gone before we start rubbing our hands together?

ZagSlug
04-15-2007, 11:33 AM
You really can't read too much in to a roster posted in the off season.

Daye is listed twice once as Day and another time as Daye. I don't think he is a twin.

Nevtelen
04-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Couldn't agree more, gamagin. I've e-mailed Goodman to ask for attribution of his claim. The thing that is troubling to me is that I've watched Goodman get the drop on most commentators where coaching changes have been made this year, so he has some credibility to me.

I am uncomfortable with us gleefully jumping on this unattributed rumor to so quickly replace P-Mac, especially. Can we just wait until we know for sure that P-Mac is gone before we start rubbing our hands together?

I don't think anyone is rubbing their hands together - I think people were just responding to a rumor and wondering what would happen. Since it's the offseason, all we can do it speculate about one thing or another and so that maybe gave the rumor more legs than it should have had. Or maybe not - maybe Goodman got it right and we'll find out in May sometime that PMAC is leaving. Anyway, I think the general feeling is more people trying to get a feel for where that extra schollie is coming from rather than being gleefull that PMAC is gone.

J-Mac Zag Forever
04-15-2007, 12:03 PM
QUESTION;
Most of us expect the Zags to reach new heights and see in the future a 16,8 or final four. This new found success should improve our ability to recruit to a whole new level.
Anticipating this, should we hold off recruiting and wait for
several McDonald All Americans to come begging to be Zags?

MY ANSWER;
Slow down recruiting for now. We have the players on board who can get us where we need to go. It is disheartning to see these players work so hard, for us as fans to grow attached to them and then see them cut.
We will get past this year however with Andy coming next year we will still only 1 schollarship available and have nothing left for the super players when them come a knocking.

YOUR ANSWER PLEASE!

uestopn

CDC84
04-15-2007, 12:16 PM
I have no idea why the athletic dept. felt the need to put up that roster right now when Gonzaga is 2 players over the schoolie limit, no newcomers have arrived on campus, players haven't weighed in, etc. I mean, I guarantee you that Steven Gray weighs more than his listed weight.

roxdoc
04-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Currently there are 2 players who will be on the scholie bubble for next year. The rumors flying around are that Burgess and regretably PMac would not be renewed for scholies. If this indeed turns out to be the case, then we would be in scholie balance and I don't see us trying to replace anybody.

That said, we better wait and see before we jump to any conclusions about who is "going".

spudzag
04-15-2007, 03:03 PM
I wonder how accurate the Fox Sports list is and what their source is. I would hope that they verify the information and are not just a rumor.

If it is true that P-Mac is leaving that would get the number of scholorships to 13. No room to add anyone else unless they not want a scholorship.

The impact on 2008 recruiting is big. IF P-Mac is out there are only 2 scholorships available for 2008. Kuso and Penod graduate. Unless there is more pruning of existing players next year.

Makes watching the 2008 commitments that much more interesting.

EL MUSTACIO
04-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Alright, so Ive read that PMAC has finished his schooling or will do so in May. Why, then could he not still play Gu bball without a scholarship. hes not taking any classes, so why would a scholarship be needed? If hes playing and is still off the scholarship, and David Burgess is leaving, it is feasible that the roster is inded correct. This may be the true roster for next year.

Gonzdb8
04-16-2007, 10:40 AM
i'm not expert in ncaa regs, but i'm guessing he'd still need to be enrolled full time and in good standing with the university in order to compete. even if he completes all his course work but held off graduation to compete next season he'd need a scholarship, or pay for it himself, since he'd still need to be enrolled. the more likely scenario, assuming you're correct and he can finish his undergrad work before fall 07, is that he might graduate in may and enter a graduate program at GU. he wouldn't need a scholarship if he were on some type of graduate assitantship, and could still compete next fall. this is obviously just speculation, but its still fun to think about it.

D Hark 2003
04-16-2007, 02:31 PM
I dont trust fox sports news any more than regular fox news

brasszag
04-16-2007, 02:50 PM
So... maybe PMAC is replacing Bankhead :p

primal23
04-16-2007, 04:42 PM
I dont trust fox sports news any more than regular fox news

Good point, forgot about the fact that the info I posted did come from the backwards news network

cdunavant
04-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Only one senior left on this team with Pendo after PMAC's departure. I hope we dont have as many road games next year. At least the underclassmen got a lot of playing time last year.

NorthWestZag
04-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Only one senior left on this team with Pendo after PMAC's departure. I hope we dont have as many road games next year. At least the underclassmen got a lot of playing time last year.

I know a talented young man by the name of KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSO!!

LongIslandZagFan
04-18-2007, 06:44 AM
Quite obviously it was not hearsay I was providing!!!

But you seem good at vitrol... I'd advise watching your step here and especially in your private messages to mods and admins.

I asked for a link because I didn't want hearsay. If you had the website, you should have linked to it. Period. Unless a link was a provided and without the time to check with my sources, I HAVE to assume it is hearsay.

If you want me to bow down to your infinite knowledge then fine:

:allhail:

and yes take the above as sarcasm and nothing remotely close to humor.

brasszag
04-18-2007, 08:38 AM
How about posting your sources.

Otherwise it's hearsay.

LongIslandZagFan
04-18-2007, 09:15 AM
A threat from the big bad administrator. Wow I`m terrified. Do what you have to do big man.

Point of the matter is this:

On this board you do verbally abuse someone either in a post or in a private message (like you did). That was a rule on the old board and it is on this board. If you can't live by those rules then things will be taken care of. Personally, I don't think that is what you want.

Its wasn't a threat... as I said in my PM... I'm being nice today. You broke a cardinal rule of the board... I didn't have to be... don't make me re-think my stance.

I suggest you refrain from private messages to me regarding this and just let this die on the vine... not a threat, just some advice. Remember it may not be me that bans you.

gamagin
04-18-2007, 09:53 AM
maybe not.

But, as a longtime flame (as in calgary) season ticket holder and as one who purchased his last car in Long Island one year ago in march, maybe you will both listen to me on this.

You were both wrong. A food fight won't help.

It only makes sense when posting something as interesting, sensational and important to this program as PMAC leaving GU, to post a url, or back it up asap.

That said, I don't believe it's a crime punishable by death or even implied threats, etc., should someone not publish a url. Bobzag does it all the time, for e.g. Often.

Neither, otoh, does it call for dancing in the endzone or fist pumping in anger when one is a little more or less right, imo.

Go (calgary) flames. Love the car.

bayzag09
04-18-2007, 11:44 AM
this place has become a dictatorship....its sad and pathetic

LongIslandZagFan
04-18-2007, 11:56 AM
this place has become a dictatorship....its sad and pathetic

How? By asking for a link? Explain yourself BayZag09... how exactly is this a dictatorship? What was done to make you say this? My points to King were about his private message sent to me directly not about anything posted. If it were such a place why is he not banned right now? I guess it is wrong to take offense when someone privately insults you.

D Hark 2003
04-18-2007, 02:20 PM
How do you get all those neon green square under how many posts you have made?

Now now kids lets calm down, go take a deep breath and count to ten

LongIslandZagFan
04-18-2007, 03:48 PM
By having someone click on that little scale thingy and approving of the post.

bayzag09
04-18-2007, 04:11 PM
How? By asking for a link? Explain yourself BayZag09... how exactly is this a dictatorship? What was done to make you say this? My points to King were about his private message sent to me directly not about anything posted. If it were such a place why is he not banned right now? I guess it is wrong to take offense when someone privately insults you.

LIZF....I've always been a fan of you. Your opinion on issues usually seems to be very insightful and informative, and I enjoy reading what you have to say. I call this place a dictatorship based on many issues. One of the problems I have with this place sometimes deals with the mods and admins thinking or at least sounding condescending to us "normal" people. BZ can say something without a link, and we take it as gold, which it usually is, but when a normal person makes a claim they are labeled as wrong until providing some evidence. I understand your point, and links are usually necessary...but letís just take a step back to see the whole picture. Another reason for this dictatorship is that I constantly have to watch what I say on here for fear of being reprimanded. I am not talking about using vulgar language or hearsay, but rather saying something that might offend your kind. I sometimes begin to type my opinion on here only to realize half-way through that it would be deleted. As for the insult -an admin should be able to ignore this attacks right? I mean I would hope a man of your status would be able to rise above...

I have also heard of a "secret site" where admins and mods can talk in peace, and it is only open to the invited and privileged people. Now this to me is funny. A secret club open to the smartest and most informed basketball gurus! I do not mean to make fun of such a prestigious group...oh wait, yes I do. Just seems a little pathetic to me is all.

I could go on...but in respect of privacy of people who have "enlightened" me I will stop.

Let the deletion begin....

ZagSlug
04-18-2007, 04:21 PM
I believe that some people on this board have built up their credibility by providing accurate information. Others are just there to fan the flames.

Occasionally I need to check out a posters recent posts to get a handle on them if I am not familiar with them. In doing so you realize there are many people with agendas that continually post the same thing over and over again hoping that if they say it often enough it will become fact.

I have to remind myself that it is the bloody internet and is about as honest and truthful as a career politician.

brasszag
04-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Others are just there to fan the flames.

That's me!

ZagSlug
04-18-2007, 05:32 PM
I forgot to add that there are also FireStarters

http://infinitecoolness.com/galleries/firestarter/tn_firestarterwp01.jpg

LongIslandZagFan
04-18-2007, 07:12 PM
One of the problems I have with this place sometimes deals with the mods and admins thinking or at least sounding condescending to us "normal" people. BZ can say something without a link, and we take it as gold, which it usually is, but when a normal person makes a claim they are labeled as wrong until providing some evidence.

BZ and other admins and mods have sources. I don't ask who theirs are and they don't ask me about mine. But you can rest assured that the information usually coming from them is from good sources. I only requested the link because it had tell tale signs of being a flame. Typically when someone says a website is reporting something they link to it. All I asked for in the post was a link. I am far to busy with work and too far away from my sources to follow up with them on whether something is legit. So all I asked was for a link since without it, it comes off as hearsay.

Another reason for this dictatorship is that I constantly have to watch what I say on here for fear of being reprimanded. I am not talking about using vulgar language or hearsay, but rather saying something that might offend your kind.

Not sure I know what you mean when you say "your kind", but whatever floats you boat.

I sometimes begin to type my opinion on here only to realize half-way through that it would be deleted. As for the insult -an admin should be able to ignore this attacks right? I mean I would hope a man of your status would be able to rise above...

How did I NOT rise above? He wasn't banned and not one of his posts deleted. Exactly HOW did I not rise above it? Should I have not called him on it? I called him on it because it goes against the grain of what we try to have here. Would you insult, not in jest, a member of your family? I doubt it. All that is asked of people on this board is to be civil and treat each other as friends or family. Look Jazz and I may never get along or agree on much of anything on the board, but we are more than civil to each other.

I have also heard of a "secret site" where admins and mods can talk in peace, and it is only open to the invited and privileged people.

This is the only place I post.

I could go on...but in respect of privacy of people who have "enlightened" me I will stop.

Let the deletion begin....

Why would one delete this post? I really think you are mistaken in your vision of what you think happens on this board. 99.9% of the posts deleted on this board are spam posts.

ZagMania
04-19-2007, 08:52 AM
Atleast he aired out what he had to say in private.. I don't know why publicly condemning his private message contributed to this important topic "New Roster (& discuss 2007-08 changes)", incase everyone forgot what it was. Next time maybe just pm him back and personally tell him it was uncalled for? I'm sure most people that read this thread are not all too interested in your guys little fight.

ZagNative
04-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Did a couple of people here wake up with gum in their hair?

http://www.mdtheatre.org/pictures/Very%20Bad%20Day%20TW.bmp

LongIslandZagFan
04-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Atleast he aired out what he had to say in private.. I don't know why publicly condemning his private message contributed to this important topic "New Roster (& discuss 2007-08 changes)", incase everyone forgot what it was. Next time maybe just pm him back and personally tell him it was uncalled for? I'm sure most people that read this thread are not all too interested in your guys little fight.

Why? To prove a point... and share what is and is not acceptable on the board. Period.

gamagin
04-19-2007, 10:45 AM
that way, the interesting topic, the roster, can continue to be discussed, while the food fights can move to that forum ?

anyone should be able to drop the flag and push the topic off where it belongs. which is away from the ongoing one.

this was a good thread gone bad.

the matters of decorum and so forth are important discussions somewhere, but not as part of this topic, imo. someone take the turd(s) out of the punchbowl. please.

best regards,

LongIslandZagFan
04-19-2007, 10:48 AM
that way, the interesting topic, the roster, can continue to be discussed, while the food fights can move to that forum ?

anyone should be able to drop the flag and push the topic off where it belongs. which is away from the ongoing one.

this was a good thread gone bad.

the matters of decorum and so forth are important discussions somewhere, but not as part of this topic, imo. someone take the turd(s) out of the punchbowl. please.

best regards,

There are a couple more threads discussing the PMAC situation. Its probably best to lock this puppy and let it die.