PDA

View Full Version : Good Steven Gray interview

primal23
04-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Hope this wasnt posted before, but I found this, and really enjoyed reading it.
http://www.bainbridgereview.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=96&cat=40&id=963523&more=

LynetteG
04-14-2007, 11:53 AM
that was really great! thanks for posting! i hadnt seen that yet.

bayzag09
04-14-2007, 11:53 AM
I didn't really like the questions that guy was asking (seemed a little repetitive), but steven seems like a very good kid.

ZagNative
04-14-2007, 04:16 PM
That kid is SUCH A GEM! Wow! Is his head ever screwed on straight! I have the sense that this is not only a great kid, but it's a great family.

Bainbridge Review: Now, when you decided to transfer to Bainbridge, who first came up with the idea? Was it you or your dad?

Steven Gray: It was just something we talked about. It wasn’t a serious option (at the time), but it was just something we talked about, like it would be nice if we could do it so we could be better prepared (for college.)

Then my dad started looking into it more and seeing if we could afford it, and just thinking about what we could do if we could do it. Once we found out it was a possibility, we did it.

These look to me like parents who put their kids first. This looks to me like a family that understands teamwork and shared goals and shared dreams.

I'd like to know those folks. They raised a kid who would say something like this:

BR: When you talk about the future, what do you see yourself doing? Do you see yourself in the NBA or saying "OK, if that doesn't work out, I'll find some other interest that I like and maybe I can make a career out of it?"

SG: I'm still trying to figure that out. It'd be nice to go to the NBA, but if it doesn't, it's not going to be the end of the world. I'm going to work hard to try and get to that point, because things would be a lot easier when you have that much money. I want to try and evaluate what I enjoy doing and what things are important to me and I what I feel are important to me.

I'm not really sure what I want to do, what I'm thinking - because I was talking to Mr. Lewis and he did PeaceCorps. He went to Africa for a couple of years. You have one tree, a mud shack and he's teaching in the school. He said it was one of the most interesting (experiences) and it changed him.

I'm thinking of some way you can give back. There are people out there that have it a lot worse than we do. I just want to help in someway - I don't know what exactly that is yet, but something along those lines.

We learned a lot about Africa in Contemporary World Issues with Mr. Zarling and he's showing us - have you seen Invisible Children?

BR: I don't think I have.

SG: It's a documentary and it shows kids that run - they have to commute in large groups (in Northern Uganda) because they have people come and take kids in the middle of the night and become child soldiers.

It's crazy just to think there's 12, 13, 14-year-old kids going through (this) and I come out and play basketball every day. It makes my life so much more - I don't know. It just makes things a lot easier for me just to know that I'm just out here playing (basketball). I don't have to worry about anything. I can just come out and play basketball. It's helped to relax me a lot. Thinking there's so many worse things going on (so) I have nothing to worry about with this basketball game. It doesn't matter who we're playing. It's just a game.

It's helped having my eyes open to what's going on outside this little community.

I've got a hunch this young man is going to bring something more to Gonzaga University than just his basketball skills.

RebornZag
04-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Zag Native quote
"That kid is SUCH A GEM!"

Perfect description I think. And not only about Gray but about the whole class that's coming in: Brown, Sacre, Daye and Gray!!! WOW!!!

When will these guys start playing with and begin to blend with the returning players? I imagine sometime this summer? Or will they play AAU ball this summer and join the team in the Fall?