PDA

View Full Version : CNNSI reporting Oden enters the draft (or does he?)

wazZag
04-13-2007, 08:36 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/nba/04/14/oden.forgo.ap/index.html

and

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/news/story?id=2837151

If it's true I don't imagine anyone will be having the "did/will he sign an agent" talk. He knows where he would be picked.

EL MUSTACIO
04-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Wow, I truly thought that Oden and Durant would have stayed in school, but its money, and lots of it. I probably would have done the same thing

Gonzdb8
04-13-2007, 09:29 PM
what made you truly think they would stay in school?

ZagSlug
04-13-2007, 09:32 PM
The only reason they ever went to college was due to the fact that they were not allowed to enter the draft.

I can't believe that I actually agree with Bobby Knight

"It's the worst thing that's happened to college basketball since I've been coaching. Because now you can have a kid come to school for a year and play basketball and he doesn't even have to go to class. He certainly doesn't have to go to class the second semester. I'm not exactly positive about the first semester. But he would not have to attend a single class the second semester to play through the whole second semester of basketball.

"That, I think, has a tremendous effect on the integrity of college sports."

jbslicer
04-14-2007, 03:41 AM
I guess he'll never know how hard History of Rock and Roll II is.

TexasZagFan
04-14-2007, 07:07 AM
:lmao:
The only reason they ever went to college was due to the fact that they were not allowed to enter the draft.

I can't believe that I actually agree with Bobby Knight

"It's the worst thing that's happened to college basketball since I've been coaching. Because now you can have a kid come to school for a year and play basketball and he doesn't even have to go to class. He certainly doesn't have to go to class the second semester. I'm not exactly positive about the first semester. But he would not have to attend a single class the second semester to play through the whole second semester of basketball.

"That, I think, has a tremendous effect on the integrity of college sports."

Won't this hurt Ohio State down the road, having so many players leave without graduating? Let's face it, these kids will not be returning to school, at least within the time frame the NCAA requires.

I do expect the NCAA to tweak these rules over the next few years. You just can't have your BCS schools having scholarships reduced because they aren't graduating anybody.

Pallet
04-14-2007, 07:53 AM
I thought they changed it so that if a kid leaves early, as long as he's in good academic standing, he won't hurt the teams APR. That's why Kevin Durant kept attending classes once he declared, in contrast to another kid whose name I can't remember. I am not sure, however, if schoools are penalized if a kid doesn't return to school in the offseason to make progress towards his degree. That doesn't make any sense, but when has the NCAA made sense?

brasszag
04-14-2007, 08:39 AM
That's why Kevin Durant kept attending classes once he declared, in contrast to another kid whose name I can't remember. I am not sure, however. . .

Nick Fazekas from Nevada

EL MUSTACIO
04-14-2007, 08:46 AM
They both seemed really into college. I dont know, they both just seemed like they were hinting that staying was an option. Oden didnt get to play much of this year to to his hand. But, I guess it was all over for Durant when he got consensus player of the year awards. When theres no more real competition, people leave for the draft. (IE: Oden, Morrison) So, I dont know why I thought they would stay, but I thought they would...

CDC84
04-14-2007, 02:03 PM
Oden has continually said that he would have gone to college out of high school. I suppose you could say he was lying, but he is actually going to be making much more money as a result of going to Ohio State for a year. Just as Durant will:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=195940

"
It's the worst thing that's happened to college basketball since I've been coaching. Because now you can have a kid come to school for a year and play basketball and he doesn't even have to go to class. He certainly doesn't have to go to class the second semester. I'm not exactly positive about the first semester. But he would not have to attend a single class the second semester to play through the whole second semester of basketball. "That, I think, has a tremendous effect on the integrity of college sports."

Regarding Knight's viewpoint......Kevin Durant and Oden will finish out their current semester's course work because they promised their coaches that they would do so so that Texas and OSU would avoid APR issues with the NCAA. Head coaches throughout the land are recruiting with this in mind, and asking such elite players to make that commitment, and not taking them unless they do make that commitment. And if they do take them without such a promise, well, that head coach is hurting his own program - the NCAA will hurt his program's APR rating. It's not that unreasonable of a promise because guys like Durant and Oden are going to be doing nothing but lifting weights until their name is called to the podium. They can go to school. Both happen to be 3.0+ students, BTW.

It should also be noted that this is one of the reasons, although not the major reason, why David Stern wanted a 20 YOA limit. But Stern realized that in order to get at least something in place, he wasn't going to be able to go for the gold right away. He had to go for what could be agreed upon, and the let enough time go by for fans and players to see how his league has been bettered by the age limit, and how it might get even better if the limit went up to 20 YOA.

And I think people will see those benefits right away. First off, Durant and Oden will be entering the league as established superstars that people throughout the country will have seen on television again and again. They won't just be guys that Average Joe fans "hear about" through obscure recruiting analysts and pro scouts. Everyone has their opinion on these kids and has an interest in them because everybody has seen them, and most of all, they've seen them play on national TV, in organized games that are of value to millions and millions of people.

Oden and Durant are going to see the benefit, because as Mike describes in the article above, their elevated status is going to payoff at the bank. These two guys are going to rake in more money due to spending a year in college than we can even imagine.

But the greatest benefit that people will see from the age limit goes way beyond Durant and Oden. It has to do with about 7-8 (or more) players that would've gone to the pros out of high school but who will be returning to college next year because frankly, they're just not good enough for the NBA right now, and they know it. College basketball exposed their weaknesses as players. Guys like Ty Lawson, Wayne Ellington, Chase Budinger and others have very bright futures, but the the spotlight and competitive intensity of college basketball made these kids realize (and everyone else) that they still had work to do.

So in essence, Bob Knight looks foolish. The vast majority of these kids who would've gone pro out of high school are coming back to school and furthering their education, and the few who are leaving are guaranteed top 10picks who have no need to withdraw during an active semester to prepare for anything as they won't be at the camps, etc. A few of these kids have made public promises to their coaches that they would complete their semester. But who knows...maybe Brandan Wright will decide to go pro and bail UNC before the semester ends. Either way, we are just talking about 2 or 3 players who might do what horrifies Knight. If you consider all the kids that are coming back, and combine them with the kids that are going pro but who are completing their current semester, I would say that the NBA age limit has in fact bettered college basketball, and most certainly the NBA.

And I believe that it's going to be such a success that Stern's dream of a 20 YOA limit will likely be realized sometime in my lifetime.

ZagSlug
04-14-2007, 02:53 PM
I hope you are right CDC, I would love to see the numbers on this situation. I am sure that the NCAA is keeping tabs.

CDC84
04-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Rest assured Slug, the NCAA will be keeping tabs on these things, but contrary to what Knight thinks, the age limit isn't an issue. What the issue is are these guys like Nick Fazekas - guys that are in their 20's and who have gone to college for several years, but who decide to ditch school during an active semester in order to get a jump start on the NBA camps. Knight's concerns should not be directed at Durant and Oden and the one and doners. Those 2 guys will be going 1 and 2 in the draft, even if they skip the camps. What he should be concerned about are the upperclassmen that bail during an active semester because they supposedly need to workout 24 hours a day in order to prepare for the camps to enhance their draft stock. But that problem is a separate problem from the age limit. The number of Fazekas-types far outweighs the amount of one and doners, even if everyone of those one and doners decide to ditch their last semester.....which they won't.

Crusader Rick
04-14-2007, 06:02 PM
I would love to see this guy in green next season. He seems to be as solid as a human being as he is as a player.

LynetteG
04-14-2007, 06:20 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18101207/

Conley Sr. disputes Oden's father on decision
Ohio State center 'hasn’t decided' on NBA draft, father of teammate says

Updated: 11 minutes ago
WASHINGTON - Is Greg Oden leaving Ohio State for the NBA?

Oden’s father told a newspaper the 7-footer is turning pro, while the man who hopes to be Oden’s agent, Mike Conley Sr., said Saturday night the decision hasn’t been made.

“No. Definitely not. Not to say he’s not going to decide that — but, 100 percent, as of this moment, he hasn’t decided,” Conley, father of Oden’s high school and college teammate, Mike Conley Jr., told The Associated Press.

“I talk to his mother every day, and I talk to (Ohio State coach) Thad Matta every day, and if Thad Matta and his mother and I don’t know, then how can anyone else know?”

Greg Oden Sr. told The Indianapolis Star in a story published Saturday that his son will enter the NBA draft after leading Ohio State to the NCAA title game as a freshman. “They had an exciting season, but why take the chance on him getting hurt?” Oden Sr. said.

Conley Sr. spoke after a party celebrating Chicago’s selection over Los Angeles as the U.S. candidate for the 2016 Summer Olympics. The 1992 Olympic gold medalist in the triple jump, he was part of Chicago’s presentation to the U.S. Olympic Committee.

“The process for Greg Oden is, he’s going to talk to his mom today, he’s going to talk to me tomorrow, and he’s going to talk to Thad Matta on Monday,” Conley Sr. said. “And after that, he’s going to decide what he’s going to do and when he’s going to report it.”

College underclassmen have until midnight on April 29 to declare whether they intend to make themselves available for the NBA draft.

Conley Sr. has been certified as an NBA agent. Oden Sr. told the Star that the former track star would represent his son.

“First, he’s going to decide whether to come out, and then he’s going to decide who’ll represent him,” the elder Conley said. “I hope I have a good shot at it. I don’t want to be presumptuous.”

As for his son, an Ohio State guard, Conley Sr. said he expects a decision by the end of next week about whether he’ll head to the NBA.

“I don’t know what he’s going to decide,” he said. “It’s a tougher decision for him than it is for Greg Oden, because in his mind, he was going back to school next year, 100 percent, before the Final Four.”

lothar98zag
04-14-2007, 07:49 PM
I do expect the NCAA to tweak these rules over the next few years. You just can't have your BCS schools having scholarships reduced because they aren't graduating anybody.
bingo!

maineblackbear
04-14-2007, 07:57 PM
cdc-- i think mr. knight was speaking philosophically; as in 'it is now possible (re:mr. fazekas) to be eligible for one semester, blow off second semester and meet the hard copy of the rules'.

the fact (as you cite eloquently) that a couple of big league players did not do that is in no way a response to the letter of the rules that permit it.

whether that is good or bad is another question-- i think anyone any age (seven years old and up) who can play NBA should be permitted to; the NBA restriction on 'out of high school for a year and/or 19 years old' is a sop to people who pretend college basketball is about education. some schools, yes, promote education and those should be praised..... but for the most part cbb and the ncaa is about one thing and one thing only..... $$$$$$$$$$

mbb

thickman1
04-14-2007, 09:10 PM
now that is an interesting turn of events. It'll just feed the media fire a bit more. Everyone wants to be the one to get the scoop at the expense of these kids. Silly.

wazZag
04-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Wouldn't this be some sort of taboo conduct if Conley Sr. is a certified NBA agent and Oden is talking to him that much about his decision? I understand Conley Jr. and Greg played in highschool together and went to tOSU together, but that seems like a unique situation.