• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

The Question of the day

I could really see the lack of experiece and confidence in our guys coming off the bench. The only one with experience is Will Foster. I could tell that Few was concerned as well. Arop was 1-4 and 0-2 at the foul line, and Olynyk was 1-3 from the field and didn't shoot a foul shot in 17 minutes. And that game was one of the easiest games we'll have all year. Playing in a game is different than playing in practice. This is the part of the team that we will have to be patient with. But how patient will Few be? He doesn't sound like he's going to be all that patient. I really hope Kong begins to step it up and get serious. His "no show" so far is hurting the Zags. I think Few was counting on him more than what Bol has given so far.

I think GJ played well, and should get more playing time. He scored 5 pts in limited action and was 1-1 from the field and 3-4 from the line. I like Meech's speed, and tough D but I do not like his poor shooting, including his shooting from the line where no one is even guarding him. A point guard should not be a poor foul shooter, and if he is he should not be in the game at either the end of the game or at the end of the half. How can Few get GJ more minutes? I think that is the question of the day.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • Zag4Hire
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

To be expected with a team with 9 freshmen. You can't recruit experience..You have to earn it. Where I will be concerned is how they are in mid-season form. If they are still exhibiting the jitters and lack of confidence during WCC play, then that is cause for concern. So many issues for the team to work out and like you stated, they were definitely on display Saturday night. All I kept thinking though with that game is a school like MVSU has nothing to lose and played against Wazzu the night before so they weren't going to be intimidated and had nothing to lose. When you don't stomp these schools out early, they get confidence but ultimately the lack of skill catches up to them (forcing shots, foolish turnovers, etc.).

In these early games of the season, I just want the team to find itself and figure out the roles for each player. I think the jitters and anxiety to not only win the hearts of fans but playing time from Coach Few will subside after a while. Taking away a few positives is that Sacre looks healthy (just needs to enforce his will more like Ronny did) and Elias looks to have polished offensive skills.
    IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

Comment

• zag67
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2007

I will agree with Reborn's concern with the new players. I also believe that there will be early games that the coaches go with a slim set of players.

But I also have to say, that is why all of us need to be patient with them. As Few and others have said they have worked harder this year on getting the defense and rebounding under control. This means that at the offensive end, the new players are playing mechanically and need time to get to the reaction type play that is needed. That being said, defense will help you stay in games until you can get your offense going. I think that if you watched Manny, Gibbs, Foster, and GJ, they all worked very hard on trying to be in the correct position on the denfensive end of the court. I do believe that the coaches and fans need to have some patients with the new players and allow them to get the experience to start playing more relaxed.

What I enjoyed watching in the last game, was how the players were working to get the ball inside. If we can get that inside game going, that will open the outside game. Also I think that seeing Steven (and others) attacking the basket is also going to open things up. But we have to remember that this is not the same offense as last year and again this is going to take time to install. But when it is, the other teams better look out because we are going to blow some teams out.

Comment

• memorial80

GJ will ultimately earn his minutes. He's way too talented to sit there for long. Coach Few will ultimately find a way to give him the minutes he’s earned.

Meech will do a very good job running the team and we need that. I also know that coach Few likes stability at that position and that is understandable. GJ has a larger range in performance going both ways. Additionally, I believe Meech is a better defender . GJ is just a better offensive player… Things will work themselves out.

Comment

• CDC84
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

The young guns are going to have to play, so both coaches and fans are going to have to be patient.

Comment

• JohnOGU
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Feb 2008

As far as recruiting freshman goes, we picked up a bunch with just about as much experience as you can find. I think too much is being read into the game against MVSU. I originally figured we'd blow them out, but you have to remember, it's the first game for majority of these guys.

No need to worry in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
            X