PDA

View Full Version : One of those games I hope we keep close

cggonzaga
11-15-2009, 12:16 PM
I never say that about my teams and usually hate when other people say it. I just don't see though how we go to East Lansing and come close to winning this game in only the 2nd game of many of our guy's careers. Somehow we need to play extremely well and keep it around 10 points. Sorry to be a pessimist.

GUDan07
11-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Thats not pessimism, thats realism. I always hold out hope of a giant upset but the likely hood of a win in this game is slim. If we can keep this close and get some good experience against one of the best teams in the nation we'll have done well. If we can keep it within 10 points it will have been a successful trip.

BroncoZAG615
11-15-2009, 12:25 PM
If Matt Bouldin and Steven Gray play great offensive games and Meech Goodson plays great defense on Kalin Lucas, this is anyone's game. But, it's going to take a complete game from those three guys. Toss in some contributions from Rob and Elias and I think it can be close. I don't think you should merely discount Gonzaga since it is most of these guys second games. They've played some tough games in their past and against some even better, older opponents (international guys). The atmosphere will be intense but that is where the vets come in.

It could go either way but I'm confident in our team. I'm hoping the leadership shines through on Tuesday and I think it will.

Nevtelen
11-15-2009, 12:27 PM
I hoping we keep it within 20, but if we finish within 10, that would be great. This team has talent and surprisingly good backcourt, but, like a lot of us thought before the season, is really going to show their youth.

CB4
11-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Some of our freshman will step up for the big game, some won't, that's just natural. What it comes down to is our returning players, if they have the right mindset and preparation for the game then we will be able to compete.

ZagMan in Philly
11-15-2009, 01:15 PM
i wonder how many pts the wise guys in vegas will give the Zags....i think around 12 to 14 pts, to get action on both sides.

I have a feeling we will keep it close....;)

cggonzaga
11-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Bronco, even if those things happen I still don't see us winning the game. MSU is just too good this year. This game is kind of like playing UNC last year. No matter how well we play we aren't going to beat them. I would be more than happy to buy you a David's pizza or a beer though if we do!

zag67
11-15-2009, 01:21 PM
The realist in me says if we keep it under 15, then we have done a great job. I am not saying that if everything went right, that we could never win. But, ......

Now what do I want to see in this game:
1. Cut down on the turnovers
2. Play tough on the boards
3. Shoot over 35 percent from the 3 point line and 50 percent overall
4. Shoot 70 percent from the free throw line
5. Solid help defense and do not give up easy points
6. New players give solid minutes

BobZag
11-15-2009, 02:00 PM
The thing that worries me most about Tuesday night are the turnovers. The guards - especially Matt and Steven - had way too many TO's last night. If they think Mississippi Valley State applies perimeter and pressing pressure, wait until they see MSU. Those turnovers will translate into slam dunks that will ignite the Breslin Center.

That must not happen again and again.

If the Zags can avoid the turnovers, they might be able to get out of there in one piece, so to speak. Raymar Morgan is nowhere near 100%, and Rob and Elias should be able to score against their bigs. But if they turn it over...it's over.

It'll be all about efficiency and poise for the Zags.

MickMick
11-15-2009, 02:01 PM
The best chance to keep it close is to keep the starting five on the court as much as possible.

I would sparingly sub in Vilarino, Gibbs, Arop, Olynyk, and Will. Thats it.

bigblahla
11-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Pound it inside and take care of the ball and we folks is in for a pleasant surprise.

Championships are won with defense and rebounding if the refs don't kill us we'll be in the game if we go inside.

Go!! Zags!!!

gamagin
11-15-2009, 02:30 PM
The best chance to keep it close is to keep the starting five on the court as much as possible.

I would sparingly sub in Vilarino, Gibbs, Arop, Olynyk, and Will. Thats it.

at first sniff, I think this starting squad can stay with anyone on a given night.

And this would be a big night to bond all over MSU. Or, worst case, bond with the knowledge they gave MSU hell.

This team really has nothing to lose, afterall, and everything to gain. The pressure is on MSU, too, if the mindset is there for us. This should help soothe any jangled nerves. that's my hope, anyway.

Go TEAM Zags !

MississppiZag
11-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Delvon Roe and Raymar Morgan's injuries are still lingering and could be seen in their limited play against Florida Gulf Coast. They are not the team they will be at full health at the end of the year. With that said they should still be considered the favorites, as they are #2 and at home.

I think the Zags win by 7, with Roe and Morgan not at full health. If both are ready by then, it might be a different story. I like our chances. Gonzaga is usually hot at the beginning of seasons, while Mich State tends to play their best ball at the end of the seasons. Cut down TO's, keep the rebounding margin close, and limit Sparty to under 40% from three.

I think our players will bring toughness and physicality that is mandatory against the Spartans.

Reborn
11-15-2009, 03:36 PM
I think Gonzaga will play good against Michiga St. I hope we continue to play up-tempo against them. I think our starting five is very good. If we can stay out of foul trouble we'll be okay. Sacre and Harris will be difficult to defend, just as they were against Texas in their scrimmage. Matt, Steven & Meech will be solid. I think our rebounding has been very good so far, and that's always a big issue against Michigan St. The fact it's early in the season will help us. I think if Harris gets in foul trouble that Few shoud consider putting Sacre at the 4. I am impressed with his quickness. Going 7'0 and 7'5" down low could be nice. I thought Will played very good last night. His experience would help us at this point of the season, as Olynyk's could hurt us. I was not impressed with his rebounding, and we will need boards badly. Arop MUST play better. From what I saw last night Gibbs is more solid, but then again, Arop can rebound.

I believe that when a team plays hard with a lot of energy, plays tough D and rebounds, they will be in games. This is a good description of Gonzaga. On offense the Zags are moving the ball well, and feeding the post with good passes.

I like the attitude of the players going into this game, which is to just go and play and see what happens. From the interviews on KREM I did not feel they are intimidated or nervous. I think it will be a fun game to watch.

Michigan St will win by 7-10 points, but that is a good showing by the Zags and they will learn a lot from this game. There will not be any quit in this team.

Kiddwell
11-15-2009, 03:54 PM
These guys won't be intimidated by Sparty:

(1) Bouldin
(2) Sacre
(3) Harris
(4) Gray

Not sure about Goodson. Waiting with trepidation on everyone else.

:[

zag67
11-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Reborn, I agree with most of what you say. But I do think the following:

I do think that GJ/Gibbs can be used to give Meech some rest. I also think that Manny can come in (even at a 4) and play some defense and rebounding against their reserves (in other words match their substitutions). The main key is cut down on turnovers, boxout for rebounding and do not give them wide open shots.

Reborn
11-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Why would Meech be intimidated? Your doubts about Meech are odd, imo. He has guarded Ty Lawson in the NCAA tournament, and did just fine. I am really forward to his match up with Lucus.

JohnOGU
11-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Personally, i think this is anyone's game. Since the polls came out, I thought MSU was ranked a little too high. I'd take Texas over them for sure. I think we have a great shot here. As Mick pointed out, if we maintain tha attitude that the pressure is all on them, we stand a great chance. We all believe this is team is like Zag teams of old. What were thy good at? Shocking the nation with upsets.

I have all the faith in the world that we can win this game. It will be tough indeed, but MSU isnt this unbeatable team for us, as a few of you seem to think.

Single biggest factor is their home crowd advantage. only thing that worries me a little.

MDABE80
11-15-2009, 04:50 PM
Why would Meech be intimidated? Your doubts about Meech are odd, imo. He has guarded Ty Lawson in the NCAA tournament, and did just fine. I am really forward to his match up with Lucus.

So did Lawson....:D

MDABE80
11-15-2009, 04:54 PM
All the kids need to do is work hard and play defense. They'll keep it within 10.
This game will showcase how young the Zags are and hopefully show some serious skills. In the past ESPN has treat GU pretty well. We just need to keep it close and have some "showtime" type things. America will get the picture. We're 1 year away from being in the top 10 conversation. It won't be long though. Love the team's energy.....they seem like a bunch of underdogs America will love again. Hard workin bunch will always get respect.

CDC84
11-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Michigan State does have a recent history of not playing its best basketball in November.

I am with Bob. Turnovers are the key. If they start letting MSU's athletes run wild, the party is over. If the Zags keep their TO's to a reasonable amount, they will get out of there with a respectable loss at worst.

Reborn
11-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Once again the announcers will praise Mark Few, and remind the Nation that once again Gonzaga is not rebuilding but reloading. They'll praise his recruiting efforts to get the 4 guys from outside the USA.

VinnyZag
11-15-2009, 05:46 PM
I'm with the people who hope GU keeps it within 15 or so. To the extent possible, I'll try to watch this one without paying attention to the score. If the Zags play fairly well and still lose by 15-20 .... well, I wouldn't be surprised if that happens and I'd be reasonably happy. It's going to take a while for this all to come together.

Zagatak
11-15-2009, 06:03 PM
I say if we play good basketball limit turnovers and play with tons
of energy we win in ot or lose by 5-10. I think we have a shot in this game but we need a team effort and can never give up no matter how
much were down or up at half time.

Gooooo Zagssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kiddwell
11-15-2009, 06:40 PM

Last season Jeremy Pargo shouldered the PG responsibilities with Meech spelling him. Last season Meech had the support and maturity of Pargo and two other topnotch seniors (Heytvelt, Downs) and a sharpshooting soph (Daye). Plus savvy Bouldin, sharpshooting Gray, etc.

Tuesday is different. Gone for Goodson is a lot of that "safety net." Meech is going to be good, but this's going to be a HUGE baptism of fire for his leadership: (1) No. 2 team in the country; (2) a team that played in last year's National Championship Game; (3) Izzo-coached; (4) playing at home in front of a BIG rabid crowd; (4) ESPN college basketball's first week "showcase game."

That's why Meech might be intimidated (in terms of excessive nervousness, forced plays, what-have-you).

Kiddwell is not ragging on Meech. Just saying, this'll be a BIG test.

:]

Xin Loi 67
11-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Is this game anymore impossible than UNC at MSG about 4 years ago.

After Tuesday night, the Zags win will be talked about for ages. After Tuesday night, they will no longer be in cognito.

Kiddwell
11-15-2009, 06:51 PM

After Tuesday night, the Zags win will be talked about for ages. After Tuesday night, they will no longer be in cognito.

Hope, hope, soooo HOPE you're right! In the meantime, chewing my nails. :)

BroncoZAG615
11-15-2009, 06:54 PM

I like this guy's style.

zag67
11-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Xin, I hope that you are right. Go Zags and show the world.

But OPTIMISTS, do not get down on them if it does not happen this early. They are young and growing.

gamagin
11-15-2009, 06:58 PM

One thing is for sure: after Tuesday night they will no longer be in east lansing.

Go TEAM Zags !

CaZagAlum
11-15-2009, 08:10 PM
These guys won't be intimidated by Sparty:

(1) Bouldin
(2) Sacre
(3) Harris
(4) Gray

Not sure about Goodson. Waiting with trepidation on everyone else.

:[

I don't see Meech being intimidated by anyone. That kid is tough.

As an aside, if I had to choose the next player to bang the ball against his head a la Ammo, he's my pick.

Xin Loi 67
11-15-2009, 08:17 PM
fear not.

FuManShoes
11-15-2009, 08:19 PM

It's funny you mention that game, and hopefully not too ominous. That UNC team was also filled with youngins and it showed as they took bad shots and showed a lack of discipline on D and the boards (FR Wayne Ellington was 2-11, Hansbrough was a no-show and So. Danny Green was 1-4). Of course it helped that Raivio, Pargo, Bouldin and Heytvelt were (mostly) on fire (Raivio's near meltdown still haunts me).

Xin Loi 67
11-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Matty was a Frosh in that game and he was scrappy, just like this bunch. Never count scrappy out.

cggonzaga
11-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Roy Williams just released a book in which he mentions the GU-UNC game from 4 years ago. He made some reference after the game to Ty Lawson that if he wasn't serious about basketball then maybe he should just quit. I think point well taken from a young Mr. Lawson. Just think of how last year's game could've went without Lawson had we not crushed them in NYC 4 years earlier. ;)

That all being said, this MSU team ain't that UNC team. This MSU team is extremely experienced, extremely athletic and extremely talented. It doesn't hurt them any that they're playing at home either. Also, in my opinion, this MSU team is much better than Texas. Not to pop any bubbles but I've heard that Texas' "main" players didn't play very many minutes in the scrimmage against us. Believe it or not, I am as optimistic as anyone when it comes to GU basketball. This is just one of those games that doesn't bode well for us in my opinion. I'm also a big believer though in taking your lumps and learning from them. I'll be the first to eat crow if we win or even keep it respectable.

CB4
11-15-2009, 09:20 PM
If we win on Tuesday it will be as though Christ has come again on this board, if we get blown out I hope its not Apocalyptic.

Xin Loi 67
11-15-2009, 09:24 PM
CGG, since you have been nobel in your offer, I too will take the high road and promise not to crow.

JIMMYMAC
11-15-2009, 09:28 PM
We've got the makeup of a team that can knock off anyone that views us as "rebuilding":
Sacre-looks stellar
Bouldin-picking up where he left off
Harris-Austin who?
Gray-finding his touch
Rest of the newbies-Raw but uber talented.
It will be great for all the young'ns to play STACKED Michigan State on Tuesday. Even if they get it handed to them, I love the fact that they get in front of a top tier heavyweight AWAY so early. Just bought my WCC tourney tix today.

cggonzaga
11-15-2009, 09:43 PM
Xin,

If we win the game I want you to let me have it! It would be the finest crow I've ever eaten.

Reborn
11-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Tuesday is different. Gone for Goodson is a lot of that "safety net." Meech is going to be good, but this's going to be a HUGE baptism of fire for his leadership: (1) No. 2 team in the country; (2) a team that played in last year's National Championship Game; (3) Izzo-coached; (4) playing at home in front of a BIG rabid crowd; (4) ESPN college basketball's first week "showcase game."

That's why Meech might be intimidated (in terms of excessive nervousness, forced plays, what-have-you).

Kiddwell is not ragging on Meech. Just saying, this'll be a BIG test.

Stars like the bright lights, and even thrive when the spotlight is on them. I think Meech responds to all of the above reasons that you think could intimdate him. Meech was born to shine in brigt lights and spotlights. I think that the outcome of this next game will depend on Meech's ability to slow down Lucus. I'm excited to see how it plays out.

Michigan St had trouble with "bigs" in the tournament last March. The Morgan matchup with Harris is also crucial, and it's going to be a great one to watch. I think Sacre will get 20 if he stays out of foul trouble. I think this will be a opportunity for Matt and Steven to make a statement as well.

titopoet
11-16-2009, 06:11 AM
I one of those that think that it was not bad to play MSU early. Teams are still figuring out their roles. (Remember GU was suppose to play MSU last year, but they blown out by Maryland. In the end MSU was a better team than Maryland, early season is a different animal) They will be still figuring out how to play without Suton. I expect a sloppy game from both teams, and the keys to the games for GU will be for Harris and Sacre to stay out of foul problems, pressure the outlet passes, and turn it into more of a half court game, feed the post or attack paint on most positions at least once. GU can't run with MSU and expect to win, making it a half court game they can compete just fine. (I think Zags have the advantage in the front court at this point).

I have a feeling it is going to be a war on Tuesday.