PDA

View Full Version : The new block/charge rule is driving me crazy

MickMick
11-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Kelly and Meech both called on blocking fouls after making great hustle plays to get back on defense. Meech stopped a 3 on 1 break and gets the blocking foul after he gets run over. It would have been an awesome defensive play.

It is going to put a world of hurt on Rob and Elias this year.

I saw Steven and Matt drive it to the hoop some. Meech has to start doing this more. Much more. The rule change is designed for players like him.

The game has evolved. Time to take it hard and fast to the rim. Pargo would have thrived with this rule change. I have a hunch that Vilarino will get a lot of mileage from it.

Edit: From reading the Pilot forums, apparently they are not aware of this. With respect to their matchup with EWU, many complaints about blocking fouls that were "obvious charges".

Air Force Zag
11-15-2009, 05:29 AM
I get the rule -- I just wish they would paint the arc inside. Not only would it make it less of a judgment call for the refs, it would help the players know when/where its not worth sacrificing your body...only to get charged with a foul.

There were several calls last night where I thought the blocking foul was called a bit outside (basketball's version of a 'strike zone' - literally). The sport does not need to create MORE opportunities for the refs to make arbitrary calls.

kitzbuel
11-15-2009, 05:44 AM
I suspect it will be like other points of emphasis where there is liberal use of the call early on in the season and it application kind of mellows deeper into the season.

Angelo Roncalli
11-15-2009, 07:17 AM
The call on Olynyk was right in front of me. Kelly was not "beneath" the basket. He was set and had position. The offensive player hadn't left his feet. It was a god-awful call.

mgadfly
11-15-2009, 07:48 AM
I know a lot of people like this rule and wanted the change, but I don't get it. A player should be able to stand underneath the hoop, if the offensive player can't hit a three inch finger roll, or a two foot pull-up rather than running over a positioned defender, he shouldn't get rewarded with a trip to the foul line.

This is a rule to encourage dunking, and slashing type of basketball, rather than expecting players to have a little bit of skill and learn to pull up.

HOOTER
11-15-2009, 07:49 AM
It was a god-awful call.

Thus the reason for this rule change in the first place. This gives the refs yet another justification for their "god-awful" calls. Don't bother to even try to play defense under, or in the vicinity of, the basket.

Nevtelen
11-15-2009, 08:54 AM
I know a lot of people like this rule and wanted the change, but I don't get it. A player should be able to stand underneath the hoop, if the offensive player can't hit a three inch finger roll, or a two foot pull-up rather than running over a positioned defender, he shouldn't get rewarded with a trip to the foul line.

This is a rule to encourage dunking, and slashing type of basketball, rather than expecting players to have a little bit of skill and learn to pull up.

That wasn't the intent, but that seems to be exactly what's going to happen. Anybody driving to the rim is practically guaranteed 2 pts or some FTs. So far I'm unimpressed.

webspinnre
11-15-2009, 01:42 PM
I too hope that this falls off, or because of this they realize they need to paint the arc underneath.

CDC84
11-15-2009, 05:04 PM
The rules committee has indicated that if it becomes an issue, an arc will be put in place in the future. It hasn't been ruled out.

William H Taft
11-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Edit: From reading the Pilot forums, apparently they are not aware of this. With respect to their matchup with EWU, many complaints about blocking fouls that were "obvious charges".

Watched the game... the fouls they are complaining about were nowhere near the basket. The only rule change I'm aware of pertains to when a player is underneath the basket, not on the open court.

MickMick
11-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Watched the game... the fouls they are complaining about were nowhere near the basket. The only rule change I'm aware of pertains to when a player is underneath the basket, not on the open court.

I stand corrected. That is what I get for assuming. I envisioned scenarios similar to what the Zags encountered. How else can you get multipe blocking fouls that were actually charges? My bad.....it happens all the time except in Durham (and Cheney?)