PDA

View Full Version : Why is Kelly Olynyk not redshirting????

dnj116
11-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Regardless of whether Kelly is able to contribute this year (which I do think he is), the TEAM as a WHOLE would benefit from having him redshirt this season. We are setting ourselves up for a full-blown rebuild four years down the road. By not staggering this freshman class a bit, we will in essence have six seniors leaving the team at once...Is there something Few is anticipating, i.e. players leaving early for the NBA or transfering??

By not staggering this giant incoming class with at LEAST two redshirts this year, I honestly believe this will harm us more than help us, not only immediately but in the future. We are already too deep for many of our players to see significant minutes, and I feel Kelly O. is better suited to gain muscle/weight/experience this year than to waste it playing marginal minutes. Anyone else feel the same?!?!? :(

Argentum
11-14-2009, 06:28 PM
I think you answered your own question. Harris looks like a pretty solid NBA prospect.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Aren't Kong and Harris both Sophomores for eligibility purposes? We'll lose them at the same time as we lose Sacre, even if neither of them leaves for the pros after a year or two.

Those two earlier departures will free up a couple of scholarships that will let Few & Co. reload a little before the big wave of departures a year later.

That said, I'd still like to see him redshirt, this year. We've got a lot of depth at both positions that he plays and he looks like he could use a year in the weight room before playing a lot of minutes.

SunDevilGolfZag
11-14-2009, 06:42 PM
He'll help us this year and the question is moot because he played tonight. Why ask the question?!

btzag
11-14-2009, 06:47 PM
These things always work themselves out and I wouldn't worry too much about it. Few and the staff adjust and you just can't plan for everything years in advance. Case in point...I truly believe Few was a little surprised that Daye left early for the NBA this year and so you adjust. Now this year you have Harris starting and you have Olynyk as the backup and Dower as the RS. If Daye would have returned things would have been much different.

Truly I was shocked that Poling did not see more minutes but obviously Olynyk separated himself and earned the nod by his practice play. And being the primary backup at the 4 is not really marginal minutes especially with some patsies in the non-conference and the bottom dwellers in the WCC. This will be a nice learning year for Olynyk and then he should explode in year 2 and 3.

LynetteG
11-14-2009, 06:48 PM
I was at the game, and thought I would have rather seen Kelly RS than Dower. I was not impressed at all. He looked like a deer in the headlights. I know it's just one game, so don't go all neg rep on me. He will need lots of time.

hockeyzag
11-14-2009, 06:58 PM
He'll help us this year and the question is moot because he played tonight. Why ask the question?!

Because it's a valid question, and something interesting to debate. Your post however provided nothing substantial to this thread.

I agree with dnj, seems like we had enough players to redshirt Kelly and Sam. I was wondering what kind of things could've factored into this decision. I could be wrong but it seemed like Poling got less time than one of our walk ons, maybe his lack of performance is forcing Few to play Olynyk this year. Also, it is always a players decision whether or not to redshirt, maybe Olynyk just didn't want to. And maybe they just felt that he was good enough to contribute in a big way this year.

CDC84
11-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Kelly or Sam had to play this year. Not enough size with offensive skill in the rotation without one of them. Gonzaga has to have someone in case Harris or Sacre comes down with an injury for a few games.

krozman
11-14-2009, 07:38 PM
He looked like a deer in the headlights..

I thought the same thing about Adam morrison half of his first season.

willandi
11-14-2009, 08:31 PM
He can shirt next year, when Sam comes back. It staggers the two most obvious redshirts.

MickMick
11-14-2009, 08:37 PM
In Few I trust.

Kelly saw the floor plenty. Looks like Few thinks he can immediately help.
I can excuse the freshman jitters and it is completely unfair to compare any of the freshman to Harris. I have never seen a Zag freshman like Harris except for perhaps Blake Stepp.

2wiceright
11-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Because it's a valid question, and something interesting to debate. Your post however provided nothing substantial to this thread.

I agree with dnj, seems like we had enough players to redshirt Kelly and Sam. I was wondering what kind of things could've factored into this decision. I could be wrong but it seemed like Poling got less time than one of our walk ons, maybe his lack of performance is forcing Few to play Olynyk this year. Also, it is always a players decision whether or not to redshirt, maybe Olynyk just didn't want to. And maybe they just felt that he was good enough to contribute in a big way this year.

I too was very surprised that Poling didn't get in to play until 1:40 or so left in the game...

KSTATEZAG
11-15-2009, 06:06 AM
I was at the game, and thought I would have rather seen Kelly RS than Dower. I was not impressed at all. He looked like a deer in the headlights. I know it's just one game, so don't go all neg rep on me. He will need lots of time.

Lynette, Watching on the tube, I felt the same way. He's got a ways to go.
Edited to add: Of course no offense, he's a frosh--it's to be expected.

Reborn
11-15-2009, 06:40 AM
Lynette, Watching on the tube, I felt the same way. He's got a ways to go.
Edited to add: Of course no offense, he's a frosh--it's to be expected.

I saw a very different Olynyk. Played very good, and does what is needed: passes good, screens good, has the speed on D to guard on the outside on switches off screens. His rebounding was a little weak. But this is going to be a team that plays fast, and Kelly has good speed. If you watch footwork, which is so imporant, Kelly has very good footwork.....The answer to the question, he is the best.

zaguarxj
11-15-2009, 06:58 AM
KO was the first player off the bench and had the most minutes of any bench player. That should answer your question right there.

stevet75
11-15-2009, 07:08 AM
In a group of six recruits, over four years, you are going to have one get injured and have to redshirt, one might leave early for the NBA, another might leave the program. Maybe you actually redshirt one as a freshman, but if you redshirt two or more, you a serious risk of having an injured player lose a year.
Some players need to be redshirted, Poling was a good example because of his health issues, but after that I wonder if redshirting is that important.
How do you feel about that?

MickMick
11-15-2009, 07:37 AM
Rob Sacre's redshirt worked wonders. It wasn't intended, but that extra year of work gives us three seasons of what you are seeing now.

SanDiegoZag
11-15-2009, 08:24 AM
If losing a large senior class means the Zags get to reload like this year, maybe it's not such a bad thing... But, yeah, I'm not sure if Olynyk is quite ready yet. Not sure he is a legit 6'10", but whateva. Zags looked pretty strong overall, inside game will be just fine.

LynetteG
11-15-2009, 08:29 AM
I saw a very different Olynyk. Played very good, and does what is needed: passes good, screens good, has the speed on D to guard on the outside on switches off screens. His rebounding was a little weak. But this is going to be a team that plays fast, and Kelly has good speed. If you watch footwork, which is so imporant, Kelly has very good
footwork.....The answer to the question, he is the best.
I can't tell if you are being facetious or what. I was sitting 7 rows from the court behind the visitor bench and I could see tons. Did you miss where he turned it over under the MVSU basket, only to then foul the MSVU player who stole the ball and shot (and scored). 3 points right there. Or when he failed to inbound the ball in 10 seconds? When he very first went into the game he kept looking at the bench, he had no idea what he was supposed to do. He was visibly shaking. Not sure that comes over on tv. Again, I realize he is a frosh, but compared to the other freshies we have, wow, he has a LOT to do.

JPtheBeasta
11-15-2009, 08:35 AM
If I see it right, the 5 spot is filled with Sacre/Foster/Poling. The 4 consists of Harris and...? If Dower redshirts you are left with KO. You could go small with Kong or someone else, but that doesn't make much sense to me and is eerily similar to last year.

duper
11-15-2009, 08:50 AM
I was unable to see the game so my opinion may not be spot on. Based on the stats and radio it seems to me the question should be why isn't Manny going to RS? We have deeper talent in his position than we do at Kelly's.

As was said in another thread, as fans we don't see what is going on in practice. It is practice where playing time is earned and at this point Kelly has earned more time than most non starters.

Drew
11-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Aren't Kong and Harris both Sophomores for eligibility purposes?

Kong is a sophmore. Harris is a Freshman.

Reborn
11-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks for your insight, LynetteG. Yes, sitting 7 rows back is much better then sitting 7 feet from a TV screen. And yet, I did see good things about his play that maybe you couldn't see. All of us see things just a litle differently. I wasn't challenging what you said, but merely sharing the positive things I saw in his play. From listening to the interview videos with Few, Matt, Steven et al, they look at both the positive and neg. I wanted to share some positive things about his play.

ZaginLaw
11-15-2009, 10:51 AM
It was nice seeing someone (Kelly) actually setting screens rather than going through the motions. Few's offense is predicated on good screens and good screen ='s open shots.

ronh_pm
11-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Did you miss where he turned it over under the MVSU basket, only to then foul the MSVU player who stole the ball and shot (and scored). 3 points right there. Or when he failed to inbound the ball in 10 seconds?

I will challange it.

Of the 17 turnovers Gonzaga recorded in the box score, K.O. had zero.

If the turnover you are talking about is the play at 12:58 of the 2nd half where he went up for the defensive board and got his third foul you are looking for a fault that did not occur.

The five second (not ten) violation that you refer to at 2:57 of the 2nd was actually an offensive foul on Gibbs.

What Olynyk gives (and gave) on offense is the ability to have a nice rotation underneath combined with Sacre and Harris. I would guess teams are already looking at tape wondering how Few was moving the three of them in and out of the paint.

On defence having a long seven footer out on the arc is an extra 12 inches of gravy when it comes to getting a hand up on a shot.

For his 1st college game K.O. did exactly what I would guess he was asked, which was just to get out and get his feet wet, run a few plays and not make mistakes.

Ron

FlyZag
11-15-2009, 11:30 AM
I will challange it.

Of the 17 turnovers Gonzaga recorded in the box score, K.O. had zero.

If the turnover you are talking about is the play at 12:58 of the 2nd half where he went up for the defensive board and got his third foul you are looking for a fault that did not occur.

The five second (not ten) violation that you refer to at 2:57 of the 2nd was actually an offensive foul on Gibbs.

What Olynyk gives (and gave) on offense is the ability to have a nice rotation underneath combined with Sacre and Harris. I would guess teams are already looking at tape wondering how Few was moving the three of them in and out of the paint.

On defence having a long seven footer out on the arc is an extra 12 inches of gravy when it comes to getting a hand up on a shot.

For his 1st college game K.O. did exactly what I would guess he was asked, which was just to get out and get his feet wet, run a few plays and not make mistakes.

Ron

+1

spike_jr
11-15-2009, 11:39 AM
After watching the exhibition and the game last night, I believe KO is more ready to play and contribute than Poling. KO can backup Harris at the 4 and give a little relief at the 5. There was no way to redshirt both KO and Dower this year.

bigparb
11-15-2009, 11:59 AM
I wish I could be as P.C. as Mick Mick.....

this thread is a joke.....before the season started I thought KO could've been redshirted, but Few OBVIOUSLY disagrees..1st guy off the bench and today's arm chair point guards are worried that he should be redshirting....

Few takes Gonzaga to 9 straight NCAA's and he's being questioned on this.....hilarious.

:lmao:

NotoriousZ
11-15-2009, 12:14 PM
I thought Few would redshirt Kelly and Sam this year, just for the sake of playing time. Both of these guys can/could contribute this year, but there's not enough PT to go around for everyone. Poling was the odd man out last night, and there's going to be at least one of those guys per game. If Kong works his way into the top 12 this year, there's going to be a minimum of two guys with 0-3 minutes each game (and I'm not counting the walk-ons).

I'm sure it will all work out somehow, and having too many quality players is a problem most schools would love to have. One things for sure, we should NEVER be tired out there.

ZagNative
11-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Sitting next to Lynette (wow, wow, wow! What a girl to share such outrageous seats!), I can vouch for the impression Kelly made (failed to make) from our vantage point. He really did look overwhelmed from a few feet away, just behind the Delta Devils' bench. We'll see how the jitters work out over the next few games. I've got a feeling he'll be fine over time.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Olynyk/2009-11-14KellyOlynykMVSU-2.jpg
Here wrestling for a rebound with Darian Donald.

Larryzag
11-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Sitting next to Lynette (wow, wow, wow! What a girl to share such outrageous seats!), I can vouch for the impression Kelly made (failed to make) from our vantage point. He really did look overwhelmed from a few feet away, just behind the Delta Devils' bench. We'll see how the jitters work out over the next few games. I've got a feeling he'll be fine over time.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Olynyk/2009-11-14KellyOlynykMVSU-2.jpg
Here wrestling for a rebound with Darian Donald.

+1

I was at the game too and I saw the same thing. However I want to emphasize that he will be very good. He just needs time like Manny does.

ZagsGoZags
11-16-2009, 12:23 AM
hey big parb
thanks for giving your opinion with reasons
that's all it is ... your opinion, like those you attack, giving their opinions with their reasons.
easy big fella .....