PDA

View Full Version : Wow ... are we sure he has 4 more years? Thank you Germany

TM27
11-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Best first game for a freshman in GU's recent history? I am trying to think of when I was as impressed with a freshman as I am with Harris tonight... Daye's with a 20 and 10, Stepp's first game, Bouldin's, even LG had an impressive first game but I dont think any are matching tonights performance??? Regardless of where this man ends up at the end of his career...very impressed with his first game!!!! Does anyone remember a better first game performance?

JAGzag
11-14-2009, 07:30 PM
This kid is really, really good and this team just might be something special this year.

SunDevilGolfZag
11-14-2009, 07:35 PM
A star is born

btzag
11-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Can't think of a better first game by a Zag in recent memory. Really impressed by his feel for the game but I suppose being 20 he is not your normal 'newcomer'. But combine that feel with his athleticism and I am no longer worried about the PF position on this team.

Now on to MSU and real test for this young team!

CaZagAlum
11-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Ser gut... Danke, Deutschland!

LynetteG
11-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Even MORE phenomenal in person! He made it look so easy, WOW! I may have a new favorite player!

kclubfounder
11-14-2009, 07:54 PM
In their 1st game both Bouldin and Harris had that, I don't know what, that je ne sais quoi.

kylasdad
11-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Definitely my new favorite player. I just kept saying, "Man he is going to be good...wait, he is way good now!" I really wanted to see him get 20 pts. I thought he and Gray were the 2 best players on the court tonight.

westside-zagfan
11-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Yes he was a stud tonight i agree with you all completely he brings that david pendergraft toughness to the boards but what impressed me was how polished he is offensively. I did not expect to see him hitting tim duncan esque bank shots from mid range. He even took a 3 so i am thinking he has an amazing inside game as well as a decent mid range game. The combo of him and sacre will be a huge asset and it makes gonzaga one of the top dogs on the west coast this year. In a game where our guards struggle the bigs will be able to have their backs and vice versa. Mark Few has put together a really solid team. I really do think that this core group of players will be the team to bring GU a national championship. When I think back on the syracuse team that won the title a few years back I see a team with alot of similarities to this gonzaga team. A lot of young hard working players committed to a system and who love the game of basketball. They did have Carmello Anthony on their team but elias harris could be a carmello caliber player. If he was a US high schooler I could easily see him as a 4 or 5 star recruit. I know this was an easy game and our friends from wsu also blew out this same team but I really do think this team might be "special" what do you guys think?

fedwayzag
11-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Harris = WOW. As someone said, not your typical freshman. Looked very comfortable on the court. It is one game, but I would say better then Diamond Simpson cause he can shoot free throws. :D

gozags09
11-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Harris is better than advertised. Wow...what a beast! His footwork, strength, speed, hustle and ability to get boards not in his area are unheard of for a freshman. This guy is the real deal and it is going to be fun to watch him for as long as we are lucky enough to have him grace us with his presence. This, in combination with Rob's low post game, is just what the Dr. ordered!

Go Zags!

Jyz
11-14-2009, 08:40 PM
If he was a US high schooler I could easily see him as a 4 or 5 star recruit.

But he is not. He is already 20 yrs old and was a goto guy in germans third division (about the same level as the better ncaa div1 conferences i'd say) for two years now. He played with and against grownups who earn their money with this game and it's no secret that other player of the same league had to sit out some time before they could join their ncaa teams caused by pro status. So what did you expect? Definitely not a raw player.

Thats leavin one important question for us germans:
Can Elias do the next step? Can he lift his game to a higher level?

Lets see what the future holds. Go Zags!

CDC84
11-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Harris had a fantastic debut, but all of the fouls he committed tonight were real cheapies. He can't afford to do that. As was seen tonight, Gonzaga becomes a different team when he's not on the floor. It is really important for Elias to stay out of foul trouble.

mendiant
11-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Cheapie fouls early in the season are kinda like getting used to being "watched" again...

Elias is awesome post player and so darned scrappy I just can't stand it.

mendiant falls in love with a new team.

ZagDaddy
11-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Very nice first game. He did not look like a freshman tonight, but I want to see how he does against MSU on Tuesday before I proclaim him the second coming. My big question: Can he stay on the floor against higher caliber players?

MickMick
11-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Harris had a fantastic debut, but all of the fouls he committed tonight were real cheapies. He can't afford to do that. As was seen tonight, Gonzaga becomes a different team when he's not on the floor. It is really important for Elias to stay out of foul trouble.

I kind of put that on the helter skelter, school yard style of MVSU. The game was maddening to watch and probably frustrated the heck out of Harris who is accustomed to a more structured style.

The509sfinest
11-14-2009, 09:22 PM
Ok we all know hes gonna be the WCC Freshman of the year....but what are the odds he gets on the NCAA all Freshman team? Or even Freshman of the year? I think its a very good chance if he plays like this! 18 pts and 7 rebs in 19 mins? wow imagine if he gets more playing time!

MickMick
11-14-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm going to go ahead and call him a 5 star. I don't care if Rivals or Scout has reviewed him or not. If he was an American high schooler, all the big dogs would be after him. That is how a 4 becomes a 5.....by who is recruiting you.
And he has what they are looking for. Character, smarts, maturity, athletic ability, toughness, and very skilled. There isn't a school in the country that wouldn't want him on their team.

dnj116
11-14-2009, 10:40 PM
There isn't a school in the country that wouldn't want him on their team.

+ 1. Great find staff.

westside-zagfan
11-15-2009, 12:02 AM
"So what did you expect? Definitely not a raw player." (Jyz)

Well he is a foreign player so maybe raw, maybe soft.. How many foreign players have we seen get drafted by the NBA and turn into busts? nikolaz tskitishvilli, vitali potepenko, darko millicic the list goes on... Just cuz they played overseas does not make them a sure bet to be a stud over here. Anybody who knows basketball knows that. But since he was a zag recruit i expected him to be great like i expect all gonzaga recruits to be. I have the utmost confidence in Mark few to bring in the best players to fit the gonzaga mold of players. If you got the idea that I was expecting elias harris to be a raw undeveloped player who would struggle over here well you are wrong. I however did not expect him to be as good as he was tonight. I dont think anybody over here did. Not to many freshman have games like him unless you are a special player and he obviously showed tonight that he is. Bring on MSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seasontixholder
11-15-2009, 07:01 AM
Even MORE phenomenal in person!

I agree. Watching him work away from the ball, you can see how special and talented he is. Definitely not soft.

Enjoy him while he's here. It probably won't be that long.