PDA

View Full Version : MVSU Will Blitz Zags With Trey Bombs

BobZag
11-14-2009, 08:54 AM
Look for Mississippi Valley State to rain threes on the Zags. Will Gonzaga finally guard the three? I'm not so sure. But if GU doesn't, and MVSU gets hot, Zag fans will not like what they'll see. Not one bit.

Ehhh, I foresee lots of threes going in for MVSU.

BroncoZAG615
11-14-2009, 09:01 AM
If Steven and Matt don't, Manny and Grant will. I have no doubt in my mind that those two will play tight defense and compete with some attitude.

This one...won't be close.

RenoZag
11-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Look for Mississippi Valley State to rain threes on the Zags. Will Gonzaga finally guard the three? I'm not so sure. But if GU doesn't, and MVSU gets hot, Zag fans will not like what they'll see. Not one bit.

Somebody's cranky this morning. . .

BobZag
11-14-2009, 09:19 AM
We all know the drill. We've all seen the movie. Different players, same script.

We shall see in a few hours.

Ezag
11-14-2009, 09:24 AM
We all know the drill. We've all seen the movie. Different players, same script.

We shall see in a few hours.

EXACTLY! In the past 15 years I have been following the Zags, I don't there there has been one Zag team that could defend the three effectively. Even in the game against Alberta at least in the first first have they were hitting 3's with little defense.

MickMick
11-14-2009, 09:50 AM
It is because Gonzaga plays a lot of zone and sags to the middle. A phliosophy I agree with. Stop the inside scoring and force the other team to beat you with lower percentage shots.

Similar to football. Stop the running game first and make the other team one dimensional. You can even beat good quartebacks that way by forcing them into predictable situations.

This board would have a complete meltdown if the Zags were consistently beat inside. Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to other players being good shooters.

kdaleb
11-14-2009, 09:51 AM

When I first read the title, I thought Trey Bombs might be the name of their star player...

... I guess we'll see if its the name of their star weapon. In the past decade, few things have been as maddening as watching the same exact thing happen over and over and over against these weak teams... a complete failure to guard the three. Whether its drive and kick, moving the ball around the arc, screens with a pop & shot, or just some guy shooting off the dribble 4 feet behind the arc, we seem to find a way to allow them to shoot the three successfully. And some guy always has a career day against the Zags.

The one rationalization that I can come up with - Few thinks he can beat the little guys even if he gives them the three, and he wants the team to continue to defend inside the same way they need to defend the big guys from the big schools... habits, etc. So you allow the little guys to hang a little longer in exchange for defensive habits you want against the big guys. Don't know that I buy it, but I can't think of any other reason.

bartruff1
11-14-2009, 09:54 AM
but I am under the impression that they give you the three under the assumpion that you can't stop everything and not many teams can beat them shooting threes (not many have) ??? I would like to hear one of the coaches talk about their defense...maybe Few will say something this afternoon on his show..?

BobZag
11-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Zags will win easily, like an exhibition game, but much fear I have of the trey. Fear leads to Pain, Pain leads to Suffering.

mgadfly
11-14-2009, 10:14 AM
EXACTLY! In the past 15 years I have been following the Zags, I don't there there has been one Zag team that could defend the three effectively.

In 2008 we were 46th in 3 point FG % defense, which wasn't too bad. Though we did give opposing teams a lot of 3 point field goal attempts that year.

Even last year, with our best defensive team (statistically speaking) we were 231st 3 point FG % defense (contrast that to our #1 2pt FG% defense).

Maybe this is the year...

MDABE80
11-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Great data! 46th is in the top 15 % of the D1 teams. Good...not just sorta....it's very good. It is noted too that the no of 3 pt attempts has soared (doubled) in the past 10 years. The no of attempts doesn't seem to matter these days. However a very sticky defense should reduce the number of attempts if it's a Bennett type defense or one that smothers.

If we have the athletes, the Zags should fall somewhere between "smother" and "Bennett" style results. I think, if anything, we have better defenders this year. Not sure till we see them in action. We have length and some speed but the major speed merchants are GJ ( is a killer defender) and Meech (who fouls a lot). Grant's a superior on ball defender who stays between his man and the basket...and looks very good. Matt and Steven need to defend better . Arop might be key in the 3 pt areas because he is schooled in the fundamentals and pays attention to D. His head's in it.

It'll be part of the fun to see who's got the goods. Maui looms.......MSU does too. This game today will be a workout that counts. Can't wait!!

Thomas_Sutpen
11-14-2009, 01:11 PM
It is because Gonzaga plays a lot of zone and sags to the middle. A phliosophy I agree with. Stop the inside scoring and force the other team to beat you with lower percentage shots....Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to other players being good shooters.

The zone last year was improved over previous versions because of our length--Josh, Micah, Austin--could reach out and disrupt.

I would argue, however, that IF you have the athletes, man-to-man defense (with help--especially when the ball is low) is superior to zone.

I'd like to see us play more man-to-man. Not likely, but possible.......

It may turn out that our post defense this year will be better, in which case our perimeter defense can concentrate on guarding the perimeter, rather than constantly sagging in to help out inside.

roxdoc
11-14-2009, 01:31 PM
I agree with Thomas S. With the weakness we have had down low for several years it was necessary (even a must) for the perimiter players to sag to help out. Now with Robert and Harris the need for sagging may at least diminish. Don't know how you can coach that but I hope it won't be the "business as usual" that we have seen in the recent past. I know it has been calculated, but sometimes it looks like its a fatal reflex to a head fake.

Nevtelen
11-14-2009, 01:37 PM
If we had the inside presence to not sag any season, it was last season with all the shot blocking and long arms inside. I think this season will be more of the same on 3s probably, though Meech looked very good at times last year defending the 3. If GJ is as good, that could help - also I'd imagine Arop will be good at perimiter D with that wingspan.

roxdoc
11-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Not trying to pick a fight but the long arms were on the perimiter much of the time.

Nevtelen
11-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Not trying to pick a fight but the long arms were on the perimiter much of the time.

Not on defense. Not that often. Daye got some blocks on the perimiter, but most of them were within 10 feet of the basket. Heytvelt usually stayed on the block on D, though he didn't try for many blocked shots.

dim4sum
11-14-2009, 02:17 PM
In past years, the opponents come out firing and connecting on threes from the outset. The team seems uber casual in defending the three. Last year Gray and Daye were extremely diffident during the first ten minutes of the first half. Gray especially has to come out with unrelenting intensity on both D and O. If not, waste no time, and bring in Manny. Last night the UW came out with intensity but promptly got very casual. That team is not the same without Brockman. Byan Amaning is slow to the ball, slow to the boards and just plain slow period. He lacks intensity and the rest just showed intensity in spurts.
Few has to platoon to keep every one fresh and intense. Mike Montgomery is doing it this year at Cal.

Stache
11-14-2009, 02:23 PM
We are doomed. I don't know why we are fielding a team.

MickMick
11-14-2009, 02:29 PM
In past years, the opponents come out firing and connecting on threes from the outset. The team seems uber casual in defending the three. Last year Gray and Daye were extremely diffident during the first ten minutes of the first half. Gray especially has to come out with unrelenting intensity on both D and O. If not, waste no time, and bring in Manny. Last night the UW came out with intensity but promptly got very casual. That team is not the same without Brockman. Byan Amaning is slow to the ball, slow to the boards and just plain slow period. He lacks intensity and the rest just showed intensity in spurts.
Few has to platoon to keep every one fresh and intense. Mike Montgomery is doing it this year at Cal.

I respectfully disagree. A very common sight was that of Micah, Matt, or Steven sprinting out from their position in the middle to defend a perimeter shot and getting there just a moment too late. But it wasn't always like that. Sometimes they got there in time. I still agree with the philosophy.

If a guy is on fire give credit where it is due. Sometimes you live and die by the three and occasionally, players get hot from outside.

Rarely do players miss dunks though.

Stop the dunks.

Nevtelen
11-14-2009, 02:34 PM

If Montgomery were jumping off a cliff...

I don't recall Few every platooning guys and I don't think we'll see it this year even though the team probably has the personnel to do it. That's okay. The guys need to be in good enough shape to play a full game. I think they are and I don't think that physically getting tired is the reason for the 3-pt defense.

1973Zag
11-14-2009, 03:35 PM
if we can't cover the trey, at least run them to death. If the legs go, the trey is the first shot to go with them. Now we have the speed , numbers, and athletes to do it. just a thought

RenoZag
11-14-2009, 06:29 PM
if we can't cover the trey, at least run them to death. If the legs go, the trey is the first shot to go with them. Now we have the speed , numbers, and athletes to do it. just a thought

+1

BobZag
11-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Hey, the Zags only gave up 11 treys! :D

Onward to East Lansing.

gamagin
11-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Hey, the Zags only gave up 11 treys! :D

Onward to East Lansing.

I wonder if that counts for the free wendy's burger ? tonight's goal was 10.

Oh. Wait. That was WE who needed to make 10 to feed the masses.

dim4sum
11-14-2009, 07:44 PM
I take back what I said about urging Few to platoon. He did exactly that when the Zags had a 27 point lead with under 4 minutes to go and they won by 18. Arop looks like he could lead but he's not there yet. Second unit lacked punch.

mendiant
11-14-2009, 07:55 PM
Live by the 3, die by the 3...

They died...

This is a team that I didn't turn my back on as they were introduced (as is custom with the kennel club, some of us old farts comply) and I did not turn my back because they had travelled so far, into the cold, from the South, to play another "mid major" team that had made a tradition of NCAA appearances, if not success...

Thanks for coming up Delta Devils....

Good luck to you in the future. Hope you make it to the big dance again!

And LOVE the Noah Hair on the one guy...you know.