PDA

View Full Version : Impressed by MSU fanbase.

Baldwinzag
11-14-2009, 07:09 AM
After visiting a couple of their many message boards, Spartan Nation seems to be a highly knowledgable, reasonable, and well-informed fan base. Very pleasant to partake in bball discourse with the Michigan State folk. I found it quite amusing they referred to Robert as 'Bob' Sacre. H

A few snippets on GU:

The Zags have some outstanding young talent in their freshman and sophomore classes. Untested talent at the NCAA level, but talent at any rate. They will probably have games where they look great, and games where they look sloppy. Hopefully, this is one of them. By the end of the year, this team will be pretty dam good though.

The strength of Gonzaga will be their inside game. This will be their best rebounding squad since the days of Ronny Turiaf.

The references to Texas are about a closed scrimmage in Denver. The 4 and 5 postions put up a combined 50 points on them.

Bob Sacre, who is a true 7-footer with a good build for a frosh, runs the floor and has offensive skills. Our centers will have to play well on defense to contain him.

BTW, Mark Few referenced the MSU loss to Wright State in his weekly TV show. He said it shows that early season losses can happen to even the best teams and it should be a warning to his team.

MedZag
11-14-2009, 07:39 AM
I remember the good vibes and healthy respect between the two fanbases from Maui several years ago. Izzo's a class act, their program does it the right way, and their fans really know their ball. They're definitely my favorite BCS group of fans.

You'll really see the difference and how good the fans of Sparty are when we play Duke later in the year.

Baldwinzag
11-14-2009, 08:01 AM
I remember the good vibes and healthy respect between the two fanbases from Maui several years ago. Izzo's a class act, their program does it the right way, and their fans really know their ball. They're definitely my favorite BCS group of fans.

You'll really see the difference and how good the fans of Sparty are when we play Duke later in the year.

Very true. Also, anything is an improvement over those "special" UW fans we're used to around here;).

I admire and completely agree with the way MSU fans perceive our team i.e. young, talented, will look ugly at times, terrific at moments, and really good by the end of the year.

LynetteG
11-14-2009, 09:03 AM
couple of other quotes:

"Gonzaga will be a better barometer of how good we are right now."

Re: Raymar Morgan
"He needs at least 1 game, if not more, to get used to playing full speed. He has all weekend to practice and get ready for Gonzaga."
"even if he's struggling, good to get him out there this game before Gonzaga comes"

"to many, it's a very challenging schedule. Gonzaga, Florida, Texas, UNC...I guess when you're a big dog, you gotta run with the big dogs."

and complaints about scheduling tough and not getting respect in the polls:

Re: KU
"No wonder they got the #1 nod.
They play a grand total of 5 top 25 teams. None higher than Tx.

Only TWO of those top 25 are Big-12 teams.

Meanwhile MSU plays (count 'em) 12 top 25 teams. AND Florida and Gonzaga. The marquee game @ North Carolina.

So; how the hell MSU keeps up with KU in the wins column, I'll never know. Also; KU plays a full 15 non conference games, compared to MSU's 12.

Oh well; come March, as long as the #1 seed and a midwest region is still there, that's all that matters. Let the polls do what they do. Which means nothing."

Akzag
11-15-2009, 04:50 AM
Onwards and upwards ... East Lansing, here we come.

zagfan24
11-15-2009, 06:58 AM
What I like most about the MSU game is that Izzo teams almost always play tough defense and rebound very hard. It's been noted in several other threads that this year's team will win with gritty, hard-nosed basketball, that we can't rely on talent alone -- and the Spartans should provide a pretty good model for what that looks like. Sure they've got a lot of talen this year, but they've gone very deep in the tournament a hell of a lot of times for a reason...no matter what players are in the system, they play extremely hard. The young Zags will only stay competitive by doing the same.