PDA

View Full Version : One thing to keep in mind for Saturday's game

CDC84
11-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Do not expect Coach Few to show his hand too much tomorrow evening. It has been standard practice for Gonzaga to hold things back in its first couple of games before a big preseason tournament or a monster non-conference game takes place. What you see tomorrow may not be what you see Tuesday night at MSU or at the Maui Invitational.

tyra
11-13-2009, 01:06 PM
I've assumed as much but the question is: What does that mean? What or who will be held back? How does Coach "hide his hand" effectively?

CDC84
11-13-2009, 01:19 PM
You just won't see all of Gonzaga's offensive and defensive sets.

007Zag
11-13-2009, 01:23 PM
I imagine it would mean that Few can play some guys (Kelly, Manny) out of position trying to figure out how they might best fit in to different schemes. They might not be as productive as if Few kept them in the sets he thinks he will go with, but at least he learns a little more about the different combinations he can put on the floor.

Also, he can give some of the secondary guys more PT. And he can hold out some of the set plays our guys have down in practice, and work on some of the more rusty, complicated stuff.

BobZag
11-13-2009, 01:32 PM
CDC speaketh the trutheth. Look for Few's most basic offense and defense Saturday evening.

GUDan07
11-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Do you guys think that will hold true in this case? This is a team with many more question marks than in previous season. While I am aware that this has been Few's MO in previous seasons, I'm not sure that I would want to debut anything untested in a regular season game against a team like MSU. Things are going to be tough enough and eyes are going to be wide enough in the Michigan game without the added pressure of having to try out new sets for the first time.