From the Bulletin:

http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/sports/young-and-restless-1.898886

GU69
11-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the link.

Three nice articles.

ZagAddict
11-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Maybe Few should institute mandatory face shields and slide pants for practices this year. Watch out for the loose ball drills...

ZagAddict
11-13-2009, 10:22 AM
"Done with the “prima donnas” and the “selfishness,” as some players have described years past..."

“Coach has this thing; we’re not a team that can play cool anymore. We may not look good while we’re doing things but we’re going to outwork a team.”

“As I always tell them, there are a lot of things we all gotta get 100 percent on and if one guy doesn’t get 100 percent on the test it brings us all down. So that’s the biggest challenge.”

I love to see these types of quotes from the players and coaches. This is exactly what has been missing the past couple of years. No points are awarded on the scoreboard for style... and this TEAM understands this. It grit, guts, and hardwork... I see this team really coming together. Great things can happen when everyone believes and are pulling in the same direction. This team will have their ups and downs, but I believe they will have a BIG impact in the NCAA tournament this year... no matter what seed they are awarded.

Go Zags!

SanDiegoZag
11-13-2009, 10:29 AM
I kind of feel like there has been an even greater emphasis put on defense and rebounding since Ray G has been around.... Coincidence?

ZagNative
11-13-2009, 10:31 AM
I loved this ...
..the 2009-2010 team doesn’t want to win in style. It wants to win ugly. It wants to force stops, push the tempo, out-rebound, out-muscle and out-work teams. And deep down, these Zags want to win that way because they know it’s the only way they can.

They’re willing to scrap. They say defense, defense, defense is what they’re all about. Unranked but unphased, the Bulldogs know they....

"Can't play cool anymore"Watching the Military Channel the other night (we do what we can to stay entertained during the off season), I fell in love with with the motto for the A-10 Warthog! Now I'll have a place to wear the Wartjog T-Shirt I've been coveting! The MAC!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Misc/Gouglyearly2.jpg

Nevtelen
11-13-2009, 10:35 AM
The best thing about those quotes, IMO, is it shows that the team is quickly building an identity. One good way to do that is to show and emphasise how you are different than other teams in the past and this squad is certainly doing that. Beyond building toughness and, obviously, working on skills, I think having that concept of identity is as important as anything. When the fit hits the shan in a tough game, if a team can hang their hat on a familiar identity, I think it helps.

Anyway, great read. Thanks for posting it, Angelo.

MickMick
11-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Ben Howland brought UCLA back into the national spotlight by building an identity centered around toughness. There are even complaints by the UCLA faithful about the physical nature (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=12&f=1737&t=5085490)of his practices. But his track record proves that his method is successful.

There seems to be a price to pay for it, but you can't really stop these young men from earning their playing time in a very competitive environment.

NEC26
11-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Reading those articles gives me the sense that this group of guys is going to be special! Like Final four special, maybe not this year but in one or two. I'm also glad Matt seems so focused to make this a great year. I think he could carry this team to something good this year too.

gamagin
11-13-2009, 11:08 AM
is modeling itself after the play, attitude and performance of its greatest player - John Stockton.

Having just been installed into the NBA HOF, having two gold medals, having been named one of the NBA's best ever to play the game, and being arguably the best point guard in the history of the game, well, these athletes need only look up at any K2 game to be reminded it can be done. It has been done.

His retired jersey is hanging from the rafters and the man himself is sitting nearby.

Sic 'Em Zags !

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-13-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm starting to love this team and I haven't even seen them play.

BobZag
11-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Absolutely great stuff. I preached "get tougher" till I was blue in the face in year's past. Now, finally, a tough bunch of Zags.

I agree with gamagan, and perhaps David Stockton's presence has brought his father's influence into this program now, but I also suspect Few might be reintroducing the 1999 formula. Either way, it's refreshing to read this.

GU69
11-13-2009, 01:42 PM
I agree with gamagan, and perhaps David Stockton's presence has brought his father's influence into this program now, but I also suspect Few might be reintroducing the 1999 formula.

A possible motto for this year's team:
"Play like it's the twentieth century."

Nevtelen
11-13-2009, 01:51 PM
A possible motto for this year's team:
"Play like it's the twentieth century."

"Play like it's 1999!" perhaps? I'm all for that. :)

ID ZAGFAN
11-13-2009, 01:59 PM
"Back to the future"?
:p

ID ZAGFAN

Ziggy
11-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Or how about ........Past Perfect/ Future Shock ?

Larrylegend
11-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Talent, hungry, teamwork, toughness, a chip on their shoulder... shades of the Elite 8 -- 1999 Zags!

ID ZAGFAN
11-13-2009, 02:27 PM
"Near 1999, Near Perfect".
:lmao:

ID ZAGFAN

sonuvazag
11-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Hey, this seems like a good opportunity to ask: are you going to be disappointed if this team comes up short in its tourney aspirations even after showing grit and toughness? I ask because I believe this team might come up short in terms of the cut and dry results Zag fans have come to expect, but come up big in terms of the character, identity, and pride of the program.

adoptedzag
11-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Hey, this seems like a good opportunity to ask: are you going to be disappointed if this team comes up short in its tourney aspirations even after showing grit and toughness? I ask because I believe this team might come up short in terms of the cut and dry results Zag fans have come to expect, but come up big in terms of the character, identity, and pride of the program.

If the team gets the grit from '99 back, I doubt there will be any complaining from anyone who actually pays attention. Regardless of the season outcome.

BobZag
11-13-2009, 03:30 PM

To be honest, I think it'd be 50/50 among fans. It's just how times are these days. Winning means sooooooooo much. Ask Charlie Weiss.

Rangerzag
11-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Let the seething and slobbering begin!!

sonuvazag
11-13-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm not that worried about wins and losses, since this team is going to lose a lot of games. I mean, how many times has a team built on defense and rebounding done anything? It's all about the offense, and having five guys who can shoot the ball.
Just for the record, I hope you're right taking your sarcasm into account. You've done an excellent job to make your case and you might be right. We're all in the hypothetical right now and my money's not down yet but the points you've made do give me hope. Problem for me is even when teams have everything aligned on paper, a lot of things have to go right for the results many here hold so dear. I'm just hoping the team pulls the fan base together with how they play, even if they don't come through in the literal sense.

Reborn
11-13-2009, 04:59 PM
This is a great thread, with some great quotes. Collegiate basketball is unbelievably tough, and at times violent. One reason it's so tough is the size of players, how strong they are but the game is played without pads. I don't think most peopler know what goes on when you attack the basketball off the dribble. Opposing bigs are going to try to put you in the "cheap seats." Basketball players play with one heck of a lot of pain. ALL THE TIME. And we all knew that practices were going to be like a war every time out because there are definately open positions, and I think that the guys who came in this year all know about toughness, and they all want to play. Meech is so right on when he says that some practices are tougher than games were last year. This is all good news for the Zags, but they will still have to do it in games, and especially against teams like Mich St, Illinois, Oklahoma, Duke, Arizona, Memphis, ect ect. You see there are a good number of teams out there (and they are the good ones) who are really really tough. If you back down from that kind of toughness, you may as well go home.

Thats why I love Meech. He will NOT back down, and will, in fact, take it a step further and stick his mug in your face. I hope we have a few more guys like him. It would be great if Sacre and Harris can do that. As I watch Meech attack the basket, and that means their bigs, he is telling them every time that he is going to challenging them, he's telling 'em to try to stop him. I think most of us fans recognze the toughnsss Meech exhibits. Toughness, mental and physical, is still something that will ignite the fire inside fans.

I am so anxious to see how tough the Zags are, and last Saturdays scrimmage is a good indication that we are. Fans here are right in noting that rebounding is also a sign of this toughnes we're talking about here. And so far we've done well.

What has disappointed me in this thread is what has been said about previous Zag teams who did not have this toughness. I will never forget how the announcers of our games in the NCAA tournament pointed out many times our lack of toughness. It was embarrassing really. We may have played some defense last year but I didn't see much of it in the tournament. I am so glad Few is cracking down on lack of toughness in practce, and not being willing to play with some pain. Athletes play with pain. All the time. Get tough Kong! Now!

bartruff1
11-13-2009, 05:50 PM
I hope that 4 years from now if these kids are good enough and lucky enough to win 100+ games and 4 WCC Championships and finish with 28 wins and a undefeated WCC season and a trip to the Sweet Sixteen and having broken some bones and torn some tendons along the way that the ungrateful people in here who don't know what they are talking about are not calling them lazy, gutless primadonaas who need to be flushed out because they didn't live up to their expectations...I just don't get it...and I don't want any explanation from you embarassed experts...I am proud of last years team..

BobZag
02-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Bump.

Zagguy
02-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Can't we sticky through March?

U Zig, I Zag
02-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Can't we sticky through March?

+1 (and I am as guilty as the next guy for getting critical on here)

However, it is interesting that for bartruff's comment to resonate so soundly now we have needed the dynamic of having people being critical, being upset, etc.

The ying and yang of GU basketball hysteria.

bartruff1
02-03-2010, 09:04 AM
I suspect Meech and Reborn are not having sleepovers anymore...I get a kick out of Reborn's posts...he is not always right, but he never has any any doubt..:)