PDA

View Full Version : UNC's Tyler Zeller - Andy, Kelly...

BobZag
11-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Question for Zag fans...

Do you think Poling or Olynyk, but especially Poling, can be similar to Tyler Zeller? If you watched any of the Carolina blowout wins, you saw Zeller shooting it well from all angles at 12' to 18', along with an inside game. Zeller is tall, lanky, not bulky at all, and not particularly athletic, but his skill set is very good. Similar to Andy and, to a degree, Kelly.

CDC84
11-13-2009, 08:52 AM
According to Roy Williams, Zeller runs the floor better than any big man he has ever coached.

I don't think either Olynyk or Poling really remind me of Zeller, but if forced to choose between the two, I would say he most resembles Poling (again, in terms of style - not talent). No matter how mobile Zeller may be, he is still a big man, whereas Olynyk is really a wing player.

MickMick
11-13-2009, 09:36 AM
I don't know if Andy will ever be a feature player at Gonzaga. But he certainly will be a very valuable contributer.

Zellar would be a feature player for Gonzaga. There would be many plays designed specifically to use him at the expense of others. I doubt Andy will ever be in that position, but I wouldn't entirely rule it out if he gets his offensive game up to his potential.

bigparb
11-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Zeller is much more mobile than Andy....not a good comparision at all....

As for kelly, not a good comparison either.....kelly's got 3 skills in a 4 body....Zeller's not even close to a 3.....but end to end, he probably faster than Kelly....

I think we could find some rotation minutes for a guy like Zeller... :)

BobZag
11-13-2009, 12:05 PM
So Andy is likely a poor man's Zeller. Fair enough. Was just wondering. Someone had a perfect comparison for Olynyk, but alas, I forgot it. I always pictured Kelly being in the mold of Michael Dunleavy but there are more comparisons.

NEC26
11-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Bob are you talking about that Saint Joseph's player? Can't think of his name right at the moment. He was a tall wing type player good shooter.

Nevtelen
11-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Bob are you talking about that Saint Joseph's player? Can't think of his name right at the moment. He was a tall wing type player good shooter.

I think you're thinking of Calathes. He was very solid for St. Joes for 4 years IIRC as a point-forward type player.

NEC26
11-13-2009, 12:17 PM
That's the one thanks.

BobZag
11-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Pat Calathes is a good comparison for Kelly, no question... But unfortunately it was in a conversation over dinner somewhere and it was a player I rarely think of and I just can't recall. It was spot-on, though. Dang, maybe my aging memory will dredge it up soon.

GU32
11-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Does anyone else think of Diamon Simpson when watching Elias Harris?

MickMick
11-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Does anyone else think of Diamon Simpson when watching Elias Harris?

Simpson seemed thicker and a tad slower. A slightly bigger dude. Elias has better hops. Simpson wouldn't be used to defend a two guard in international competition. I think there are better comparisons for Harris.

CDC84
11-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Harris = Tyrus Thomas type without the wingspan? When Thomas put his name in the draft, he was identified as a great example of the modern combo forward....sort of a cross between a small forward and a power forward.

I am having a hard time coming up with a "style" comparison for Kelly O. Someone mentioned Nowitzki awhile ago...I just don't know.

OZZY
11-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Kelly has also been compared to Hedo Turkoglu, I don't know him enough to say if that is a good comparison. As Greg Francis, his coach at NEDA said, " "He's gonna be somebody that a lot of fans say hmm, he's different, and I've never seen many players like him".

MDABE80
11-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Just my opinion but I do think there are certain players who are unique enough to be their own model. While not having see enough of Harri yet (not KO either) I suspect Eli is his own mold in the next few years. KO, while not as well know as some other Canadian kids, will be unique because he's a guard with guard skills that's just grown to the size of a big.

Harris is puzzling because he looks like he has SG traits with speed, agility and athleticism but having the size and ability of a larger player...traits unusually seen outside of a Magic Johnson (who also handled the PG spot) type. Of all out new faces, he's the one to watch for the above reasons. WIll ELias be an NBA guy? Not sure yet but he's got those fundamental skills. If his work ethic is top notch, no reason why he couldn't succeed at that level.

Work and focus matters. A little bit of this and a bit of that often augers the best traits of well know NBA players we like. Those 2 have some traints like that but the pack age seems to mean more. Those 2 kids reflect this IMO.

CB4
11-13-2009, 03:43 PM
I think the sky is really the limit for Kelly.

Ikancagin
11-13-2009, 03:53 PM
I like Andy; he's aggresive on both ends going after the ball. I thinks he will score well for us. I also think he can play 4 with Sacre. Harris does remind me of Simpson, which at this early stage is great for the Zags.