PDA

View Full Version : Zags on DirecTV

MississppiZag
11-13-2009, 06:35 AM
O.K. I just got the Premier package to watch all the Zag games on FSN Northwest.

All NBA and Hockey games scheduled to come on various FSN channels are blacked out, besides ones in my region (Nashville Predators Hockey). The preview shows, interviews, etc. are shown but once the time slot for an actual game begins the channel turns black, says "Channel Not Purchased", and says "(721)". All of the college football games that are taped from last weekend are shown on these channels.

DirecTV says since I don't have NHL ON ICE or NBA League Pass, the games on FSN will be blacked out. They also said some games in other regions that are not sold out will be blacked out.

My grandmother had the very same package last yr and I was able to watch all the Zag games.

My question is will the Gonzaga vs MVSU game be shown or blacked out. ZagMan in Philly is able to watch games, I believe on FSN, so I think I will also. Just curious if anyone else gets these certain games blacked out and wondering if college athletics get blacked out. I think I will no for sure tonight, as Washington plays Wright State on FSN Northwest.

Any help or info is appreciated.

ZagMan in Philly
11-13-2009, 07:21 AM
Simple Mississippizag...if you purchased the sports pack, you will get FSNW which shows the Zags games, including UW's game tonight.

The PROFESSIONAL GAMES Are blacked out (NHL, NBA), If you did not buy NBA League pass or the NHL center Ice.

JeffyJeff
11-13-2009, 07:24 AM
Waded through this murky territory before plunking down my $$ for the upgraded package. An overview can be found on the DirecTV (http://support.directv.com/app/answers/list/kw/blackouts/) website.

The quick summary:

In general, if it is a college game, you won't have blackout issues (good for us Zag fans in other areas of the country). If you are a pro sports fan, you have to pay tons extra to get the special packages.

MississppiZag
11-13-2009, 07:28 AM
Thanks Philly and Jeff. I have been a nervous and anxious since the satellite was installed two days. It makes since to black out FSN games to make more people buy the packages I guess. Glad to hear college sports have no problems. Thanks again.

CDC84
11-13-2009, 07:47 AM
If a college game is a part of the ESPN full court package, you will not see it on any of the FSN channels. That being said, I can't recall any Zag games being on Full Court in recent years.

77Zag
11-13-2009, 07:52 AM
Try using Fox Sports Northwest -- it air on 687 on my DirecTV --

If you have a DVR or Tivo you can also program using "GONZAGA" as a keyword and it will record all shows with that title in it.

It has picked up the Mark Few show, airing on the same channel at various times -- usually on Tuesday PM. It will pick up any Lady Zag game, soccer, whatever.

Also picked up the Gonzaga dude that is a UFC fighter on Spike TV :)

Another hint/warning- -- be sure to set the programming to extend at least a half hour longer or even an hour -- OT is bummer if you get cut off!

Go Zags!!

Zagriculture
11-13-2009, 09:59 AM
May I suggest setting your stop timer for 90 minutes longer than originally scheduled. I once thought I had covered my bases by setting my DVR to record one hour extra of certain GU game in Maui a couple of years back. However, in the third OT, with the Zags up by one and Ammo going to the line with about a minute left in the most exhilarating college basketball game I had ever seen , blink the show was over. :mecry:

Nevtelen
11-13-2009, 10:30 AM
May I suggest setting your stop timer for 90 minutes longer than originally scheduled. I once thought I had covered my bases by setting my DVR to record one hour extra of certain GU game in Maui a couple of years back. However, in the third OT, with the Zags up by one and Ammo going to the line with about a minute left in the most exhilarating college basketball game I had ever seen , blink the show was over. :mecry:

That happened to me for Tenn last year. Man was I ticked off. At least I could watch the last half of OT on the net thanks to ZagManinPhilly.

MDABE80
11-13-2009, 10:49 AM
ZagManinPhilly is a master on display. He's got Justin TV wired to the max.
If we need a game, he's the go to guy.

ZagMan in Philly
11-13-2009, 10:57 AM
:p Doc, how is it going? Hope all is well!
You would be more impressed if you could watch the games with me on my 150" screen HD projection (projector) TV...out of this world!!!

ZagManinPhilly is a master on display. He's got Justin TV wired to the max.
If we need a game, he's the go to guy.

malmer7
11-13-2009, 04:30 PM
i had the sports package last year and saw almost all zags games, best $5 a month ever. however, i have just discovered a disturbing trend this evening on my directv... there were 4 games on various comcast/fsn local stations, 3 out of 4 were blacked out: duke was blacked out, maryland was blacked out, the only non-blacked out game was of 2 teams i didn't know. i REALLY hope this is just because those 3 games were also on ESPN full court package, and if so i really hope the zags are NOT part of that package, getting a bit nervous...

CDC84
11-13-2009, 04:56 PM
i had the sports package last year and saw almost all zags games, best $5 a month ever. however, i have just discovered a disturbing trend this evening on my directv... there were 4 games on various comcast/fsn local stations, 3 out of 4 were blacked out: duke was blacked out, maryland was blacked out, the only non-blacked out game was of 2 teams i didn't know. i REALLY hope this is just because those 3 games were also on ESPN full court package, and if so i really hope the zags are NOT part of that package, getting a bit nervous...

I know, the blackout rules are confusing. Some major conferences like the ACC and SEC elect to blackout their FSN/Comcast/Sun Sports (etc.) games to out of market people. Sometimes such games are a part of the ESPN full court set up, sometimes they aren't. All I know is that whether the WCC or Gonzaga is behind it, the FSN-NW games on Direct TV are available to out of market viewers if they get the Sports Pack.

BTW - the ESPN full court sked can be found here:

http://www.tsq.com/alerts/2009-10%20ESPN%20FULL%20COURT%20TV%20MASTER%20SCHEDULE. pdf

Gonzaga doesn't have any games on full court this year.

ZagNut08
11-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Just added the package

Bogozags
11-14-2009, 09:10 AM
The previous two years, while living in Columbia, SC, I had DISH and watched every GU game...none were blocked out. Having moved to TX, I got DirectTV because I wanted the NCAA package, which only they offer. I liked DISH much better regarding sports and they also have VERSUS which DirectTV doesn't but at least this year I'll be able to watch all NCAA Tourney games...

kdaleb
11-14-2009, 10:02 AM
All I know is that whether the WCC or Gonzaga is behind it, the FSN-NW games on Direct TV are available to out of market viewers if they get the Sports Pack.

This is true with one caveat -- look at what comes on after the Zag game. If its something that gets blacked out -- the NBA was the main culprit when I lived in VA and had Direct TV -- then they may black out the end of the Zags game if it runs over into the NBA's time slot. Before the game starts be prepared to call Direct TV as soon as that happens because they can lift the blackout if you let them know about the problem.