PDA

View Full Version : Has the redshirt(s) officially been announced?

thespywhozaggedme
11-13-2009, 12:20 AM
With our season right around the corner, I was looking for the official word on who rs's; I haven't found anything definitive, except for many people speculating that it will be Sammy D. Is this official, and did Kelly just show too much for Coach Few to sit him the whole year? Thanks

Nevtelen
11-13-2009, 12:24 AM
Do we ever get offical word of who's redshirting besides mentions by Heister/ Ehlo during early games? I don't remember it in the past, though I could be wrong.

Birddog
11-13-2009, 04:15 AM
I think it's this one.
http://www.teesforall.com/images/Simspons_Duff_Logo_Red_Shirt2.jpg

Baldwinzag
11-13-2009, 07:55 AM
I've heard the Kennel Club will be wearing red shirt(s) come Saturday -- maybe even 1200 of them. ;)

GoZags
11-13-2009, 08:08 AM
A good clue will be looking for who is in street clothes tomorrow late afternoon. I'm expecting a report -- someone has to have their PDA with them tomorrow.

MaroonZag22
11-13-2009, 09:34 AM
It's also possible that we may not know for a couple of games since the NCAA allows players to play a certain number of games before they are no longer eligible for a red shirt. Time will tell.

GoZags
11-13-2009, 09:51 AM
It's also possible that we may not know for a couple of games since the NCAA allows players to play a certain number of games before they are no longer eligible for a red shirt. Time will tell.

Unless the rule has changed (and I do not believe it has), what you're saying is true only if a student athlete is injured, and has to apply to the NCAA for consideration of a "medical" redshirt (see Rob Sacre last season).

Otherwise, the moment a player steps on the court, his (or her) ability to redshirt is gone.

NEC26
11-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Unless the rule has changed (and I do not believe it has), what you're saying is true only if a student athlete is injured, and has to apply to the NCAA for consideration of a "medical" redshirt (see Rob Sacre last season).

Otherwise, the moment a player steps on the court, his (or her) ability to redshirt is gone.

Actually I think he's right you can play a few games cant recall how many but its a percentage of the total games for the season and still redshirt injury or not.

Kiddwell
11-13-2009, 09:55 AM

You sure, Maroon? Kiddwell has the impression that playing in any "counter game" means NOT redshirting save for those redshirting for medical reasons after only a VERY FEW "played" games (e.g., Sacre last year).

:]

outrunu
11-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Actually I think he's right you can play a few games cant recall how many but its a percentage of the total games for the season and still redshirt injury or not.

and it is Wikipedia, so take it for what it's worth:

In a redshirt year, a student athlete may attend classes at the college or university, practice with an athletic team, and dress for play but he or she may not compete during the game. Using this mechanism, a student athlete has up to five academic years to use the four years of eligibility, thus creating the phenomenon of the "fifth-year senior."

sittingon50
11-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Nope. If you play at all (& don't get hurt) your shirt is gone.

They did tweek the % (upward) within the last couple of years of games you can play & still get a medical redshirt.

Nevtelen
11-13-2009, 10:24 AM
If a player plays even 10 seconds in some garbage time in a game, no more redshirt. The only option after playing games is a medical redshirt. I'm almost certain of this. That's why Theo, for example, lost eligibility when he left GU - he'd played 2 minutes in 1 game and then transferred to Binghamton. Those 2 mins counted as his year.

jake
11-13-2009, 11:50 AM
As others have said.

The term "redshirt" is used to describe a student-athlete who does not participate in competition in a sport for an entire academic year. If you do not compete in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. For example, if you are a qualifier, and you attend a four-year college your freshman year, and you practice but do not compete against outside competition, you would still have the next four years to play four seasons of competition.

Each student is allowed no more than four seasons of competition per sport. If you were not a qualifier, you may have fewer seasons of competition available to you. You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=420

MaroonZag22
11-13-2009, 11:59 AM
You are all right. I remembered reading somewhere once that a player could play limited games and still activate their red shirt. I knew about the medical red shirt rule, but I thought there was another rule where you got even fewer games (only a couple) and then could red shirt. It was a while ago and I'm willing to bet it was more likely some one else failed to interpret the NCAA rule book and I foolishly followed their lead. Next time I will definitely go straight to the horses mouth. Sorry again for the confusion. :o

FriscoKid
11-13-2009, 12:06 PM
They changed the rule a couple of years ago to allow potential red shirts to play in non counting exhibition games. Maybe that is what you are thinking about.

maynard g krebs
11-13-2009, 02:40 PM
There's an Oregon fr. football player who was mistakenly put in for one special teams play early this year. He hasn't played since, and the school is petitioning for an exception. If granted, according to newspaper reports, he'd have to sit out the first two games next year for playing that one play. That's the only leeway I've heard of to the redshirt rule other than an early season injury, and of course fb is different.

BobZag
11-13-2009, 02:41 PM
On Monday, Few said himself that they have 5 days before deciding about Dower. Sam will redshirt, but Few stated that they'll keep Sam in the "bullpen" so to speak, as opposed to more recent redshirts who were not really kept ready to go.

Imho, Sam will be the most talented Zag to redshirt since Heytvelt. I can't say enough how high I am on Dower's future at GU. We fans could be watching a special frontcourt in Zag history in a few years.

CDC84
11-13-2009, 02:49 PM
I love how Few even broke out the Sam Perkins "style" comparison for Dower in the recent Withers article:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/collegesports/2010251592_zags12.html

maynard g krebs
11-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Does the bullpen reference mean he'd be activated if there's a longterm injury to one of the other bigs?

BobZag
11-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Does the bullpen reference mean he'd be activated if there's a longterm injury to one of the other bigs?

Yup. But I imagine if an injury happens beyond a certain point in the season (February, for example), Sam wouldn't receive a call to the bullpen.

Drew
11-13-2009, 03:39 PM
I look forward to seeing the Big Smooth II play.

LynetteG
11-13-2009, 05:58 PM
I know for medical redshirt the player cannot have played in more than 20% of the games.

Nevtelen
11-13-2009, 08:04 PM
I know for medical redshirt the player cannot have played in more than 20% of the games.

Wasn't that just changed to 30% this season or am I wrong?

LynetteG
11-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Wasn't that just changed to 30% this season or am I wrong?

last i knew it was 20%, but i could be wrong. J is considering it, so that's why I know 20%.

CDC84
11-13-2009, 09:56 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/nov/13/zags-opener-dower-stockton-slated-redshirt/