PDA

View Full Version : Who's the potential MVP recruit?

Zagalicious
11-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Apparently there was talk on AM1510 of a potential preseason MVP recruit from the Seattle area. Anyone know who this is?

BobZag
11-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Potential MVP recruit? Not sure what that means. What year? I don't listen to Sports Talk Radio - too much testosterone-driven silliness - but MVP could be any recruit.

To my knowledge the Zags are recruiting Gary Bell, Jr. and Darien Nelson-Henry in the Seattle area. I suppose one of them could be MVP someday.

:confused:

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-12-2009, 02:07 PM
The potential MVP would be GBJ. Link courtesy of SSF (http://www.slipperstillfits.com)...

http://pugetsoundprephoops.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/pre-season-all-area-teams/

whatazag
11-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Speaking of local Seattle radio. One of the shows had on Romar this morning and was really grilling him on not making the GU-UW game happen. Unfortunately I got to my destination before I got to hear Romar's response. Thought it was interesting since usually the local press mostly sucks up to UW and gives very little GU coverage.

Zagalicious
11-12-2009, 03:37 PM
There's no love lost between Few and Romar.

Zagalicious
11-12-2009, 03:39 PM
from SSF:
MVP: Gary Bell, Kentridge
Yes, Gary Bell is our preseason MVP. With respect to Josh Smith, there is no smarter, tougher player in the state than Gary Bell. Bell is a lone soldier this year with the Chargers, but he did help lead them to the final four last year when many were considering whether the Chargers could even make the playoffs. Look for Bell to have a HUGE year and also look for the Chargers to have a better year than people think.
BEST SHOOTER: Tie - Brett Kingma and Gary Bell. Both are absolute flame throwers from deep.

Norcalzag
11-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Anyone have a sense of whether Zags really have a shot at landing Bell? Seems we have not had great success recruiting Seattle prep stars. And is Kingma still in the mix?

229SintoZag
11-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Speaking of local Seattle radio. One of the shows had on Romar this morning and was really grilling him on not making the GU-UW game happen. Unfortunately I got to my destination before I got to hear Romar's response. Thought it was interesting since usually the local press mostly sucks up to UW and gives very little GU coverage.

It was Mitch on KJR, and he actually did get in Romar's face pretty good, which was impressive since KJR is UW's flagship station.

Romar, of course, punted and acted coy and totally dodged the question. He suggested that the series might start again someday, but provided no further details.

CDC84
11-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Anyone have a sense of whether Zags really have a shot at landing Bell?

I normally don't say this about Seattle area kids, but Gonzaga has as good of a chance as anyone of landing Gary.

BobZag
11-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Anyone have a sense of whether Zags really have a shot at landing Bell? Seems we have not had great success recruiting Seattle prep stars. And is Kingma still in the mix?

No on Kingma, as of now.

Nevtelen
11-13-2009, 12:11 PM
I normally don't say this about Seattle area kids, but Gonzaga has as good of a chance as anyone of landing Gary.

I really hope you're right. He seems like a fantastic player. I live quite close to his HS, actually, so I'll have to go watch him play this season.

BobZag
11-13-2009, 12:28 PM
I really hope you're right. He seems like a fantastic player. I live quite close to his HS, actually, so I'll have to go watch him play this season.

Wear your biggest, loudest Zag sweatshirt when you go. :)

dim4sum
11-13-2009, 12:39 PM
At a comparable age, Gary Bell shows me a lot more, in terms of speed and decision-making, than Aaron Brooks who is now starting for Houston in the NBA. I believe Stuckey, starting PG for Detroit, is an alumnus of Bell's HS.

maynard g krebs
11-13-2009, 01:21 PM
At a comparable age, Gary Bell shows me a lot more, in terms of speed and decision-making, than Aaron Brooks who is now starting for Houston in the NBA. I believe Stuckey, starting PG for Detroit, is an alumnus of Bell's HS.

Stuckey won a state title at Kentwood, Josh Smith's school. Bell attends Kentridge.

I've seen Bell once, and he was one of the best soph guards I've seen, but sorry, to saw anyone shows you a lot more speed than Brooks is flat-out ridiculous. Brooks is faster than Bell, who still has great speed. As to decision-making, that's a more subjective evaluation, but Brooks' Franklin team played at breakneck speed, and he made a lot of high risk-high reward plays, which worked out well as they won state and he made the MDAA team.
It cretainly took Brooks a long time to fulfill his potential at the college level, so it could be true that Bell is a better decision maker at the same age. Regardless, I agree that Bell is great player who could have AA potential as a Zag.

BobZag
11-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Bob Denver in a Zags shirt watching a LWHS game. Now THAT I'd pay to see. :D

maynard g krebs
11-13-2009, 01:50 PM
Bob Denver in a Zags shirt watching a LWHS game. Now THAT I'd pay to see. :D

So you're one of the few who can see me, now that I've passed on? I guess those paranormal abilities are what allow you to predict games so well. The big advantage of being dead is that admission to games is free when one can pass through walls.

Btw, the human who channels these posts for me also goes to the same games I attend, but he doesn't wear his Zag gear often, for fear of being pecked to death by the many domesticated, semi-flightless avian creatures in attendance at Seattle area games. BIS of course is an exception.

BobZag
11-13-2009, 02:03 PM
So you're one of the few who can see me, now that I've passed on? I guess those paranormal abilities are what allow you to predict games so well. The big advantage of being dead is that admission to games is free when one can pass through walls.

Btw, the human who channels these posts for me also goes to the same games I attend, but he doesn't wear his Zag gear often, for fear of being pecked to death by the many domesticated, semi-flightless avian creatures in attendance at Seattle area games. BIS of course is an exception.

Spoken like the quintessential beatnik that you are.

mrob7
11-25-2009, 01:17 PM
No on Kingma, as of now.

Why is that?