PDA

View Full Version : Duke lacrosse

NJZag
04-12-2007, 06:53 PM
It's about time that sorry side show came to its conclusion.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070412/SPORTS/704120347/1013/SPORTS08

One of the very few people to speak out immediately after the charges were brought a year ago was the Benedictine in charge of his high school.

"Knowing Reade Seligmann as well as we do here at Delbarton, I believe him innocent of the charges included in the indictment issued yesterday in North Carolina. The hearts and prayers of our school community go out to Reade and his family, the woman who has made the accusations, the players on the Duke lacrosse team and their families. It is our hope and our conviction that the full truth of all that happened that night will vindicate Reade of these charges."

-- Rev. Luke L. Travers

Looks like Fr. Luke was right. Personal knowledge trumped most people's (misplaced) faith that a prosecutor wouldn't bring charges unless he had pretty strong evidence. But a competent "prosecutor" is one thing, and Nifong is something else again.

former1dog
04-12-2007, 08:22 PM
NJ,

My boss and I having been chatting about this case for quite a little while.

What kind of comeuppance is this prosecutor facing, if any?

LongIslandZagFan
04-13-2007, 07:22 AM
NJ,

My question is where is Reverend Al who came down and disparaged these boys endlessly? Where is his apology? He should be sued for defamation of character.

NJZag
04-13-2007, 09:31 AM
NJ,

He's up on ethics charges in North Carolina for concealing exculpatory DNA lab results from the 3 players' defense lawyers, and for a variety of other violations. He could lose his license to practice law.

As far as Reade Seligmann and the others suing Nifong to recoup the $3 million their families spent to try to clear their names -- plus the damage to reputation and the end to their schooling at Duke (Reade will not be going back, rumor is he will go to Princeton or Penn and pursue football) -- they've got an uphill fight if they try to pursue it.

There's a generally broad protection for "prosecutorial immunity" -- but if there was ever a case to test the boundaries of that law, this would be it.

In the space of 24 hours, I have to say I have read two of the more introspective articles by black sports journalists, who should be called just "intelligent journalists" but .... The weight of moral authority by virtue of their own race adds to the intelligence of what they wrote.

One was Jason Whitlock's piece about the Don Imus & Rutgers WBB flare-up, the other was Mike Freeman's piece about how the resolution of the Duke case wasn't getting the coverage it should and coming right out and saying "reverse racism" and faulty stereotyping.

Will try to look up a link.

Got it

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/sportsline/main10121203.shtml

In other words, the Duke men should have gotten the Imus and Rutgers treatment. They've gotten far from that. Far from it.

The Sharptons and Jacksons and black civil leaders on and around the Duke campus should approach these men and say: We know what it is like to be falsely accused. It has happened to our people for hundreds of years. No one knows what it is like to be abused by the legal system like us. We'd like to offer our support. What can we do to help?

That should occur, but you know it never will.

Every black person who thought they were guilty as hell should now look at them and sympathize. Maybe even, in whatever way possible, apologize.

There should be a great expression of outrage from blacks who were lied to and manipulated by a both a woman who made up false tales and a prosecutor suckered by her.

These players will never get their names back. Any type of normalcy is over for them. Their only recourse will be some sort of civil remedy, but to some, they will always be the Duke rape guys, no matter who they sue or how much money they might be awarded some day.

Two stories, two entirely different reactions, a nation thinking it is more racially advanced than it truly is.