PDA

View Full Version : GU v. Seattle U?

Angelo Roncalli
11-11-2009, 10:53 PM
I'm not among those who believe that scheduling SU should be a priority, but this may offer some encouragement to those so inclined:

Q: Would SU consider a series against Gonzaga?

Cameron Dollar: I have had talks with Gonzaga ever since I got the job about starting a series with them. In the future, we will definitely play.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sidelinechatter/2010253689_chat12.html

sittingon50
11-12-2009, 12:06 PM
In the words of Shoeless Joe Jackson in Field of Dreams:

"We told him to stick it!"

VinnyZag
11-12-2009, 12:25 PM
We may as well play them instead the Mississippi Valley States, Augustanas and Cal State-Bakersfields of the world. And, as usual, I'm selfishly in favor of more games on the west side of the mountains.

Kiddwell
11-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Dollar's on the money (couldn't resist). Let's play.

:]

El Voce
11-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Maybe Josh could come back and throw out the ceremonial first cell phone.

75Zag
11-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Not a priority for me either, but I agree that if GU is going to play cupcakes - as it seems to be doing 3 times this year - it might as well play a Catholic local cupcake and keep the money in the "family".

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

229SintoZag
11-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Maybe Josh could come back and throw out the ceremonial first cell phone.

Post of the day--that is some funny $hit right there El Voce.

That's why I bought season tickets next to you my man.

Pleasant Peninsula
11-12-2009, 02:23 PM
We may as well play them instead the Mississippi Valley States, Augustanas and Cal State-Bakersfields of the world. And, as usual, I'm selfishly in favor of more games on the west side of the mountains.

Agreed. I also think they should play Eastern Washington and Idaho every year, too. I highly doubt hosting Bakersfield of MV State helps recruit in those areas by any stretch of the imagination.

CDC84
11-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Idaho is highly unlikely in the near future.

Pleasant Peninsula
11-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Why is that, CDC?

Baldwinzag
11-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Why is that, CDC?

If I recall, didn't Idaho's Coach and AD publicly criticize Coach Few and the GU for not agreeing to a home-and-home series with them? From what I remember, Idaho stated they refused to play Gonzaga in Spokane until they were willing to return a game in Moscow. I believe the Zags responded with, "Thanks, but no thanks." Is that correct or way off base here?

dim4sum
11-12-2009, 03:06 PM
In the future, I see SU picking up the Will Conroy and Trey Simmons kind of local Seattle product--under the radar kind of guys who can hurt anybody on a given day. This kind of tough gritty team would be much more of a match than the marshmallows we currently roast. Of course lots of this depends on whether Cameron can coach and whether he can run a clean operation.

tightface
11-12-2009, 03:10 PM
A little birdie told me its quite unlikely Seattle U will play Gonzaga until (if) Seattle makes it into the WCC.

Kiddwell
11-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Speaking of "little birdies," one told Kiddwell that as soon as SU starts beating UWKFC with some regularity, 'KFC will drop SU from their OOC faster'n you can say "extra crunchy KFC chicken wing!" :p

UberZagFan
11-12-2009, 03:20 PM
And, as usual, I'm selfishly in favor of more games on the west side of the mountains.

Uber is in this camp.

CDC84
11-12-2009, 03:26 PM
If I recall, didn't Idaho's Coach and AD publicly criticize Coach Few and the GU for not agreeing to a home-and-home series with them? From what I remember, Idaho stated they refused to play Gonzaga in Spokane until they were willing to return a game in Moscow. I believe the Zags responded with, "Thanks, but no thanks." Is that correct or way off base here?

That's pretty much my understanding.

MBZags
11-12-2009, 04:22 PM
In an interview in 2007, here's what Roth said about potentially scheduling SU:

Gonzaga, however, won't be influenced by the map. Roth said the prospect of an intrastate rivalry is not necessarily going to happen.

"It will depend on a sport-by-sport basis," Roth said. "Ultimately, we will have to do what is best for Gonzaga."

I got the vibe from him that he didn't really care too much about scheduling SU, at least in basketball.

LynetteG
11-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Speaking of "little birdies," one told Kiddwell that as soon as SU starts beating UWKFC with some regularity, 'KFC will drop SU from their OOC faster'n you can say "extra crunchy KFC chicken wing!" :p

LMAO! Classic....

siliconzag
11-12-2009, 06:27 PM
I am of the opinion that those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. What's up with refusing to play our western brothers? Can't have it both ways. If UW are chickens what does that make the Zags?!

I don't buy the RPI argument. It is like the dog in the manger. And frankly it looks pretty arrogant. And I don't care if you ruin my reputation.

Gonzaga needs a rival, badly, and there will be no better. I read the article in Seattle U's alumni magazine about Cameron Dollar. And I think he is going to do a great service to Seattle U. I predict the Zags will play them eventually. And I also predict that the Redhawks will outdistance what people think. There is a basketball vacuum in Seattle that the UW cannot fill. The old Redhawk (Chieftain) fans will resurface. Lots of population in the core district will find their way to the old stomping grounds.

And Gonzaga only looks petty when they don't play them. Rant done.

Sili

saintzag
11-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Agree Sily. Back in the day,ie 1960s,there was a good rivalry in all sports.We should reinstate this gamesmanship to show we are not arrogant jackasses. Better than playing the huskies on their terms.

Nevtelen
11-12-2009, 07:22 PM
:rolleyes: IMO equating the GU-UW cancellation to GU not wanting to play SU (if this is correct), is pretty silly. These are two totally different situations. Is GU chicken for not scheduling Montana? How about Boise State? How about Montana State? Was GU chicken for not scheduling EWU for 2 years? You can't schedule every team in the country, nor should anyone schedule teams solely because they're in your area. The scheduling needs to work for the team. And you can't be called chicken for dodging a game you'd almost certainly win (i.e. if GU had backed out of the GU/UW series it would have been a silly move, but not chicken).

Now, I do actually think GU playing Seattle would make sense because, based on last season, they probably will have a much better team than an exhausted, rebuilding MV St (and probably at least a somewhat better RPI down the road - but maybe I should wait and see what kind of coach Dollar is) but they still probably wouldn't pose much of a challenge.

Still, my guess is that Few and Co aren't particularly excited about doing Dollar any favors after the Heytvelt thing and that might be a reason we won't see them on the schedule. I get the impression that that was why GU stopped playing EWU for a couple seasons after they let Burns go.

sittingon50
11-12-2009, 08:19 PM
Dollar is a slug. GU shouldn't get anywhere near that guy.

Once he's gone, schedule 'em (unless Romar or Shaw follows).

siliconzag
11-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Sorry to say. This was a fun rivalry. For those of you who didn't experience it, the Seattle U "domination" of Gonzaga was far from complete. There were many times when the Zags beat better Seattle U teams. I remember them very well. And this is a natural rivalry. It's like Marquette and Creighton used to be, before Marquette went Gonzaga on Creighton.

I understand those who say that Gonzaga is not afraid of Seattle U in the same way the UW is afraid of Gonzaga, but that is actually a silly argument when you schedule the likes of Alberta and Mississippi Valley State and Northern Colorado on the argument that scheduling should optimize RPI.

If the Zags athletic department isn't chicken, a thesis with which I don't necessarily differ, they are instead petty and arrogant. And that arrogance may play into Dollar's hand eventually.

I for one think Dollar is an upstanding guy, and believe he took the fall for Romar on the Heytvelt deal (youthful inexperience and exuberance). I suspect that Cameron Dollar was the best coach on the UW staff, and he will be missed there. Seattle U hired one of the best natural recruiters in the game. And Gonzaga is putting a chip on his shoulder. That is a silly strategy.

In conclusion, if the Zag's AD isn't chicken, they are petty, and if they ain't petty, they're daft.

23dpg
11-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Petty and arrogant?

I respectfully disagree Sili. SU is a redeveloping basketball school. Not playing them has nothing to do with pettiness, arrogance or being afraid.

Good luck to the Dollar and the staff, but GU doesn't have to play them.

NEC26
11-12-2009, 09:29 PM
I don't understand why we shouldn't play them. Seems like a good fit for one of our easier out of conference games. The stuff that happened in the past is over why not move on? I'd like to see them play.

Bing
11-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Seattle U. is the greatest.

In fact, they're so special, perhaps siliconzag can come up with some special poetry for them. That tactic worked soooooo well for Gonzaga.

Norcalzag
11-13-2009, 12:15 AM
I seem to recall reading somewhere that Seattle U will be playing home games at Key Arena. Alternating between K2 and Key Arena wouldn't be a bad thing for Gonzaga. Zags draws very well at Key -- meaning GU gets a road game with a "home" crowd (or at worst a split crowd). I agree SU is a much more appealing non-league game for Spokane fans than, say, Mississippi Valley State. And I like the kind of statement that a legit home-and-home deal with Seattle U would be making to UofW.

maynard g krebs
11-13-2009, 03:22 PM
I for one think Dollar is an upstanding guy, and believe he took the fall for Romar on the Heytvelt deal (youthful inexperience and exuberance). .

Bingo. An assistant, especially in his 20's, is following the orders he's given. It's not realistic to think he's over there on his own, without the hc's knowledge. Common practice to make the underling take the fall and protect the boss. Not that I have any inside knowledge, but it seems to me there's a lot of doubt here, and Dollar should get the benefit of it. The head clucker, that's a different story.

UberZagFan
11-13-2009, 03:36 PM
chicken. . .petty. . . daft. . .sili, if you keep going down this road Uber is going to need to break out the dictionary.