PDA

View Full Version : Saw the Play

Fonebone
11-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Just got back from seeing "Take Me Out" staring our own Steven Grey. I was pleasently surprized at how good it was for a college production. Steve did a good job - he should not set his sights on Broadway, but he carried it off quite well. His part was a big part, not only the main character, but lots and lots of lines, and he only read the script occasionally - he had most of it memorized. There were a couple of other guys that were actually quite good I think, one kid was actually pretty amazing.

Sacre and Kelly O were there, the only players I noticed. And coach Rice was there.

The play really is pretty philosophical, lots of interesting issues about how important sports are - interestingly, the character that Steven plays is this increadibly gifted baseball player who is a natural, and he is pretty disinterested and bored with baseball. He want to just retire. But this other character, a guy who never watched a game in his life, starts getting interested and becomes facinated by the beauty of the sport, of the whole pagentry of the game, and it is he who works to try to convince Steven's character that what he does as an athelete does have meaning, it provides upliftment to the fans, and brings something of interest to their lives, and creates relationships among strangers etc. I won't tell you how it all ends up, but in light of the issue of Steven having to step up his intensity or at least consistency on the court, it was REALLY interesting watching this guy telling him how important what he did was.

If you have a chance go see this, a couple more nights I think. It was fun to see Steven there with his college peers, a room full of them, a whole different world than how we normally see him.

webspinnre
11-11-2009, 10:10 PM
I wonder what the chances an opposing school uses this tidbit of info to try and heckle Gray. I can see a rival school calling him Steven "Gay" with signs that say "take me out" on them. I think it's 50/50.

And then that school will get as badly hammered as we did a couple years back for a similar incident coming from our fans.

TheZagPhish
11-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Great review! Thank you.

tyra
11-12-2009, 07:06 AM
Fonebone: Thanks for going and the "review." This week, Steven conquers the Fourth Wall. Beginning this weekend, he conquers the Rim and the Court.

Reborn
11-12-2009, 07:45 AM
Thanks from me too, fonebone. Nice report. Great to see that some of his teammates and Coach Rice were there the first night. Sacre and Olynyk are a couple of really cool guys, imo. I hope others go tonight or tomorrow night.