PDA

View Full Version : Secondary defenders to get foul calls

kitzbuel
11-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Not only will charges not be called against a shooter who runs into a defender under the hoop, the defender will now get a blocking call.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4642538

Other areas of emphasis:

Officials will pay closer attention to three-second calls to eliminate some of the wrestling matches underneath the basket and have been instructed to call fouls if a player's balance, rhythm, speed or quickness is impeded, not just if it provides an advantage.

Officials will also be allowed to use replay to determine flagrant fouls. Even if a foul isn't considered flagrant, they're being encouraged to call intentional or technical fouls instead of downgrading to a regular foul.

This might make Big East basketball less resemble UFC.

bballbeachbum
11-11-2009, 10:39 AM
interesting to see how players and officials and coaches adjust to this, especially the under the basket stuff. just how broad will these new rules be interpreted/enforced? when I read it this morning, my thought was they are trying to d-Shaqefy the paint, OK, but I hope it's evenly applied . Can see it being strictly called early in the season, and then who knows from there re. "fouls if a player's balance, rhythm, speed or quickness is impeded, not just if it provides an advantage." that sounds pretty ground breaking since that seems to occur under the basket currently on most if not all plays

we'll see

75Zag
11-11-2009, 11:14 AM
I have been highly skeptical of this rule since it was debated by the NCAA. It is fine to prohibit a player from trying to slide under the offensive player who is already going up for his slam dunk. But on average, I think this rule will penalize legitimate defenders who have already established position and at the same time give unfair advantage to BCS Burger Boys on their way to yet another highlight-reel slam dunk.

Time will tell how this is applied.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

NotoriousZ
11-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Not a fan of the imaginary zone. This gives homer refs another way to screw you out of a game. :mad:

sittingon50
11-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Quick, someone clue in the Kennel Club.........

007Zag
11-11-2009, 12:52 PM
i'll have to wait to see how it's called, but I wonder what that means for full court pressure/traps? does the secondary defender rule extend out of the under-the-basket half-circle?

if it cleans up defensive thuggery like what you see from tennessee, great. hopefully it doesn't screw with good, clean team defense though.

007Zag
11-11-2009, 12:54 PM
never mind, looks like it's just under the basket. maybe i should actually read the articles before posting?

sonuvazag
11-11-2009, 01:02 PM
then they should also give defenders more leeway to defend the ball upward in their vertical space.

CDC84
11-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Keep in mind that there are several current head coaches on the rules committee who are, of course, representing other coaches throughout the country. Every coach on that rules committee, from NDU's Mike Brey on down the line, wanted this change. Moreover, they've been wanting it for years for years. I have also yet to hear a current head coach publicly denounce it. It's important to understand that rule changes and points of emphasis don't come from some secret smoke filled board room at the NCAA headquarters. People who are currently active in the game - namely, head coaches - play a significant role in the decisions that get made.

BTW....Below is an excellent article from Seth Davis about why they decided to not use an arc in front of the basket, although one maybe used in the future. If they eventually elect to use one, I hope to God they don't use the NBA one which seems to extend halfway out to the foul line. The article also thoroughly discusses this topic from every angle:

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hoop_thoughts/posts/84001-ncaa-to-regulate-incessant-flopping-under-basket

As Mississippi State swingman Ravern Johnson drove by his defender and soared towards the basket, Washington Huskies center Jon Brockman slid across the lane and established position under the ring. The two players collided, Johnson missed the shot, Washington got the rebound, and no call was made by the official watching the play......That sequence, which occurred during the first round of the 2009 NCAA tournament, is included on the DVD that the NCAA sends out annually to referees explaining rules changes and points of emphasis for the coming season. The play involving Johnson and Brockman was used to illustrate what John Adams, the NCAA's coordinator of officials, said on the video "may be the most difficult officiating issue we have to deal with this season." He was referring to the new rule that requires refs to call a block on a secondary defender who attempts to take a charge under the basket. Many fans mistakenly believe that there has long been an explicit rule against taking a charge under the basket. The misconception existed because referees generally followed an unwritten rule that even if a defender established position, the play should result in a no-call –- sort of like the way baseball umpires treat the "neighborhood play" by allowing an infielder to get an early jump off second base while turning a double play. In May, the NCAA's men's basketball rules committee decided that a no-call in this situation wasn't good enough. It put in writing that an official must call a blocking foul. That rule will go into effect this season.