PDA

View Full Version : John Blanchette Column About Steven Gray

ID ZAGFAN
11-11-2009, 07:38 AM
Great column about Gray acting in the play by Blanchette in the sports section of the Spokesman-Review this AM.

Wish I could go see it.

ID ZAGFAN

Angelo Roncalli
11-11-2009, 07:46 AM
From JB's column.

Darren Lemming is rich, arrogant, entitled, bulletproof.

He can be sarcastic and even chilly, but mostly he is just matter-of-fact about his athletic and social divinity. His assumption of invincibility is, not untypically, an on-ramp to hubris.

And Steven Gray is, well, none of those things. But this week he is Darren Lemming.

“It’s like a suit I get to put on for a few hours every day,” Gray said.

For the next three nights, he puts it on under the unforgiving lights of Gonzaga University’s Magnuson Theatre, in a staged reading of “Take Me Out,” Richard Greenberg’s Tony Award-winning play about a baseball superstar whose public declaration of his homosexuality sets in motion events first predictable and then tragic.

By Saturday night, he’ll be back at the McCarthey Athletic Center in the other suit he puts on for a few hours every day, the one with “Gonzaga” stenciled across the front, for the Bulldogs’ basketball opener against Mississippi Valley State. Then another drama will unfold – this one spaced over months and likely unpredictable. Surely we’ll witness some growth in Gray’s game in his third year as a Zag – just maybe nothing as remarkable as what’s transpired on stage:

A scholarship athlete getting – and taking – the opportunity to be something more.

This may not be such a comfort to those so consumed by the Zags that the thought of Gray not spending all his waking non-classroom hours in the gym hoisting jump shots is heresy, though it is anything but – especially in the context of Gonzaga’s mission.

“This has opened up a whole new community for me,” Gray said.

So what it is, is a fresh breeze.

LongIslandZagFan
11-11-2009, 07:55 AM
Wonder who John is talking about. ;)

zagfan24
11-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Thank you for posting, and congrats to Steven.

BobZag
11-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Few people know, but John Blanchette's son is a very good actor and is currently on Broadway. I saw him in a production of Pippen and he's quite good. So John has a natural interest.

Good job, JB. Break a leg, Steven! (showbiz talk, not literally)

primal23
11-11-2009, 09:06 AM
As someone who has acted, directed and worked backstage at Gonzaga, this gives me a new-found greater respect for Gray. To take time out of a busy Student-Athlete life to do another time extensive project is commendable, and then to play the character he is playing is IMHO also commendable. GO STEVE! GO ZAGS! If the wife and I can find a sitter, we are planning on going! That and another GUTS show, God I miss those lol

MDABE80
11-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Arrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:(

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-11-2009, 09:45 AM

'Argh'? Really?

primal23
11-11-2009, 09:47 AM

For what?

Reborn
11-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Great article by JB, who's a great writer. Glad to see he "called out" people on this board for their pandemic views. I hope Steven gets 20 Saturday, which will kill that intellecual virus, that Blanchett found on this board, once and for all. Go Steven!!! I'm glad you're able to have the courage to be who you are.

LongIslandZagFan
11-11-2009, 10:25 AM
For what?

Abe disapproves of the hippie-like persona that Steven is taking on.

Fonebone
11-11-2009, 10:27 AM
There is potentially a great benefit to this. From what we see of Steve on the court, although he has taken over games with his playing, he is not the kind of person to thrust himself into the limelight, to be vocal, out front etc. So here he is in this play, playing the role of someone who is everything he isn't. In acting, Steve his learning how to play that character, how to project something he isn't, as he says, to put on a suit for a few hours. My hope is that this helps Steve see that he can remain true to who he is, and still assume a role for a couple hours each night where he takes on a role differnet than his default approach. What I would like is for Steve to understand intellectually that he can perform like Adam Morrision, or Pargo, just take the court over, and he can do that without violating who he is. When he is on the court, it is just like being onstage - you get a role, and you play it. I want to see Steve role play Adam out there on the court, and hopefully, a few nights of being in a play will help him see that that is entirely possible.

primal23
11-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Ahh.. Well to each their own :) Diversity of interests is always good IMHO :)

webspinnre
11-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Good for him for taking advantage of the opportunities college provides. As long as it isn't interfering with his basketball responsibilities, then more power to him.

bballbeachbum
11-11-2009, 11:09 AM
There is potentially a great benefit to this. From what we see of Steve on the court, although he has taken over games with his playing, he is not the kind of person to thrust himself into the limelight, to be vocal, out front etc. So here he is in this play, playing the role of someone who is everything he isn't. In acting, Steve his learning how to play that character, how to project something he isn't, as he says, to put on a suit for a few hours. My hope is that this helps Steve see that he can remain true to who he is, and still assume a role for a couple hours each night where he takes on a role differnet than his default approach. What I would like is for Steve to understand intellectually that he can perform like Adam Morrision, or Pargo, just take the court over, and he can do that without violating who he is. When he is on the court, it is just like being onstage - you get a role, and you play it. I want to see Steve role play Adam out there on the court, and hopefully, a few nights of being in a play will help him see that that is entirely possible.

well said imo, and we share similar feelings on this. don't know if it's true, but perhaps these things are also on Steven's mind in this endeavor, maybe at some level. they are both live performances--stage acting and balling-- where you prepare with others, deliver together, rely on each other to show up prepared in their roles, and then perform together

his is a star role in the play? or supporting? just curious

it's

ID ZAGFAN
11-11-2009, 11:23 AM
is the lead character in the play.

Way to go Steven for having the courage to try something new especially in such a difficult role.

:allhail:

ID ZAGFAN

75Zag
11-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Anything Gray wants to do in his off court time is fine with me and I agree that being a student-athlete should involve more than sports and minimum class requirements.

Kudos as well to GU's drama department for putting on the reading of this play by Richard Greenburg. Exploring the intersection of homosexuality and high-level competitive athletics is a challenging subject for anybody and I am impressed that the big shots in the GU administration are okay with this stuff. I think I recall times in the past when they were not so open to progressive theater.

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Good for him for taking advantage of the opportunities college provides. As long as it isn't interfering with his basketball responsibilities, then more power to him.

Can't say it any better than that.

GPGUgrad
11-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Receiving an excellent all around education is what Gonzaga University is all about. Congratulations Steven!

bballbeachbum
11-11-2009, 12:06 PM
is the lead character in the play.

Way to go Steven for having the courage to try something new especially in such a difficult role.

ID ZAGFAN

:agreed: and ty

Bogozags
11-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Steven Gray is a diverse player on the court and also as a student-athlete. He personifies the term Student-Athlete.

A man who is unafraid to be, will always be successful in life!

For God, Country and GU...

gamagin
11-11-2009, 12:27 PM

curmudgeon

Go TEAM Zags !

billyberu
11-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Kudos to Blanchette. And more kudos to Steven.

And Abe...I fart in your general direction. Seriously.

Fonebone
11-11-2009, 03:55 PM
For those that didn't notice this in the article, this is a "reading" not a normal play. The characters actually have the scripts in their hands and read from them - thus the comment of no memorization invovled. Hopefully they have read the script quite a few times, so the reading sounds believable. This is actually not that unusual, I have seen a number of them over the years. It can work very well. After a while, you tend not to notice that the script is being read. It does depend on the quality of the actors of course. If it is well read your imagination can take over. I am going tonight - first nights are always a little rough in a play, so we'll see how it goes.

Ziggy
11-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Abe disapproves of the hippie-like persona that Steven is taking on.

Not sure of what the phrase "hippie-like" connotes in Stevens case,except for the era-like quality of his fro. I, for one, am tired of the clone/goon-like crew cuts common in BB and I am proud to see that the Zags are not only great on the court but are also free thinkers, ala Dickau, ala Adam, ala Matt. Seems as if Big Will has thrown off the enslavement of the crew cut too! I understand that that is not your position LIZF, but since you brought it up!

maynard g krebs
11-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Long ago, in a Vonnegut novel (can't remember which), one of his characters passes through a small town in Indiana which is home to a teenage girl who has won an Olympic gold medal in swimming. There are signs and plaques everywhere commemorating her achievement. The protagonist reads about her long days in the pool, and in the town's diner, he wonders aloud, "what kind of a man would turn his daughter into an outboard motor?" For his utterance, the local mob chases him out of town.

IMO, it's much more fun to root for players when you know something about them as human beings, and they are more than basketball-playing robots. And, anyone who has tried to play the game knows you don't get as good as Gray is without tremendous dedication to the game. Congratulations Steven.

vandalzag
11-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Few people know, but John Blanchette's son is a very good actor and is currently on Broadway. I saw him in a production of Pippen and he's quite good. So John has a natural interest.

Good job, JB. Break a leg, Steven! (showbiz talk, not literally)

Good point but just think how good he could have been by pulling a Rodgers and Hammerstein and singing each line 800 times a day.I am sure the director is chewing his nails over his lack of commitment to the play. Do we really need somebody who is distracted by such things as sports and politics. As patrons of the arts we truly deserve more dedication. I am just kidding but I am happy that there is an understudy ready to step in when his focus falters. I mean we are all friends here but the show must go on!!!!

dim4sum
11-11-2009, 07:21 PM
If you know your history you will remember that the enslavement of the crew cut was followed by the enslavement of the mangy beard, both signs of dull conformity.

Ziggy
11-11-2009, 11:04 PM
If you know your history you will remember that the enslavement of the crew cut was followed by the enslavement of the mangy beard, both signs of dull conformity.

Historically speaking, the crew cut was conscripted and all else was chosen.
Not sure what "story" you are schooled in dim.

LongIslandZagFan
11-12-2009, 03:23 AM
Not sure of what the phrase "hippie-like" connotes in Stevens case,except for the era-like quality of his fro. I, for one, am tired of the clone/goon-like crew cuts common in BB and I am proud to see that the Zags are not only great on the court but are also free thinkers, ala Dickau, ala Adam, ala Matt. Seems as if Big Will has thrown off the enslavement of the crew cut too! I understand that that is not your position LIZF, but since you brought it up!

It goes back to the article on Steven that was linked here about a week ago. Personally I want every kid to just be themselves whether it is the crew cut, mohawk, or any other hair cut so long as they give 100% on the court and are true to themselves off the court. Abe on the other hand disapproves of any interest outside of hoops.