PDA

View Full Version : Stewart Mandel's Top 10 coaches

Section 116
04-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Mark Few falls just out of the top 10 in this list. He is included in the just missed the top 10 category with fellow coaches John Beilein, Bill Self, Tim Floyd and Bo Ryan. There are so many great coaches out there it is hard to argue with the top 10 here. It seems, though Billy Donovan leaped to the top based on the what have you done for me lately mode, rather than a lengthy body of work. Still, it's hard to argue with Donovan's accomplishments at a school formerly known for it's prowess on the football field. Here's the link:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/04/11/top.coaches/index.html

Angelo Roncalli
04-12-2007, 04:53 PM
There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth at Montlake over the omission of "Roll 'Em Out" Romar.

NJZag
04-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Much like I've done the past two seasons for football, the following list is an attempt to rank the sport's top 10 coaches right now. It is not a career-achievement list, so while a coach's track record obviously plays a huge part in his reputation, more weight was placed on his most recent performances (sorry, Lute Olson). Similarly, only those who have been head coaches for at least three seasons were considered (sorry, Anthony Grant).

As for the criteria, winning championships and getting to Final Fours is the benchmark by which all college coaches are judged. But I also placed added value on coaches who get more out of less, have recently rebuilt programs or whose imprint is clearly visible in the way their teams play.

His list of coaches falls short, even by the "what have you done for me lately" standards he established for the ranking. Seems there is a coach who has been in place exactly 3 years, has turned around a program that badly needed to be rebuilt from '04 (no NCAA), to NCAA in '05, Sweet 16 in '06, Final Four in '07, is getting more out of less (worn out on-campus practice gym / virtually non-existent playing facility), introduced an "imprint" that borrowed from Princeton, and got as far as a Final Four this year.

Harrumph!!!

(No screechy Colonial cat calls from Foggy Bottom, Pontiff! :p )

That columnist's list just exposed a single-digit basketball IQ. Time for him to turn his attention back to football.

WinthropGrad
04-13-2007, 11:02 AM
What??!! No Gregg Marshall? :)

sdzag
04-13-2007, 11:25 AM
I wonder if Few got dinged for "Shroom-Gate 07".

CDC84
04-13-2007, 01:39 PM
You would think that Few becoming the winningest 7th year head coach in the history of D-1 college basketball would make him worthy of inclusion, but I guess not........

meadgrad02
04-13-2007, 01:47 PM
i'm sure the stupid mid major stigma might have something to do with it.