PDA

View Full Version : Post-Scrimmage Tidbits from Meehan; Brief KREM 2 Video

ZagNative
11-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Jim Meehan's blog (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/nov/09/zags-start-game-week/) last night offers one bit of news, along a rehash of the scrimmage, most of which won't be news to us here.
—There has been speculation that Sam Dower will redshirt, but coach Mark Few said he’s still evaluating the situation and he’s in no hurry.

“We have about 5 days to get through it, we’ll see,” Few said. “It’s starting to maybe form, but I think it’s going to be a situation where if we do decide to sit one of those young kids they’re going to be in the bulldpen and be warmed up and ready to go. It’s not going to be the standard ‘you’re redshrting and we’ll check back with you,’ just because they are kind of ready. Health wise, or even a situation of how guys are playing, that’s going to be the prudent approach.”

Dower played in Saturday’s scrimmage. He said the possibility of redshirting hasn’t been discussed yet, but he understands the benefits that can come from another year of adding weight and strength.

Edited to add: KREM 2 also has a brief video (http://www.krem.com/sports/college/Gonzaga-preparing-for-season-opener-on-Saturday-69630947.html) up, with Coach Few talking a bit about bringing the young guys along.

CDC84
11-10-2009, 09:05 AM
“We have about 5 days to get through it, we’ll see,” Few said. “It’s starting to maybe form, but I think it’s going to be a situation where if we do decide to sit one of those young kids they’re going to be in the bullpen and be warmed up and ready to go. It’s not going to be the standard ‘you’re redshrting and we’ll check back with you,’ just because they are kind of ready. Health wise, or even a situation of how guys are playing, that’s going to be the prudent approach.”

I think this quote clearly illustrates what I have been talking about....if anyone redshirts on this team, it will strictly be because of a lack of available PT. There are no obvious redshirt candidates on this team. Any one of these guys could fit into this year's rotation and make a pretty good contribution. Few is going to have no hesitancy when it comes to bringing someone out of his redshirt year if a significant injury occurs. This is a complete contrast to someone like Andy Poling last year, who simply couldn't have physically withstood the pounding underneath. He absolutely had to redshirt.

Postplayer57
11-10-2009, 09:18 AM
CDC,I guess that also means that this rotation is going perhaps eight or ten deep?

CDC84
11-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Fine with me. As Few said in one of his pressers, having this amount of guys enables the team to play as hard as they possibly can. There are always guys on the pine who can give an exhausted player a breather.

BobZag
11-10-2009, 09:28 AM
It'd be a luxury to have a Goose Gossage or Mariano Rivera in the bullpen. Heck, I'd settle for Dennis Eckersley. :)

If Sam is good now, wait'll next year and beyond. Love what he'll bring to this team.

hooter73
11-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Only thing that would suck is for there to be an injury mid season, then the RS player comes off and has lost half a season sitting and waiting - not playing. To that player that doesnt seem like a great deal but again like is being said, if the playing time isnt there they will just be sitting anyway. I guess how late in a season do you still consider using a RS player that has sat and will for say three games burn their year of sitting.

Tough choices for all I'm sure.

JohnOGU
11-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Dower and Stockton.