PDA

View Full Version : Not even 1 vote?!?!?!?!?!

kylasdad
11-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Espn's first power polls are out...doesn't mean anything...but...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/powerranking?season=2010&week=1

a13coach
11-09-2009, 01:33 PM
The funny part is Syracuse getting votes after their home exhibition loss and UCLA getting votes after pulling out a 1 pt. exhibition win. :confused:

007Zag
11-09-2009, 01:48 PM
rankings are an interesting thing. on the one hand, they're an indication of what you have already done. OTOH, they're a prediction of what you're expected to do.

This early in the season, it's more the latter than the former. Yes, the Cuse lost to Le Moyne. Yes UCLA barely survived. The votes for them should be seen more as a vote of confidence that they will still improve, that they are better than those first games indicate. Let's not forget that rankings really don't matter until it's time for seeding. Until then, I won't worry myself with the reasoning of press prognosticators.

TokyoZag
11-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Remember, nobody's seen us yet... After they prove it on the court, the votes will come.

75Zag
11-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Since GU is a religious institution I am trying to think of an appropriate Biblical response but since I slept through most of my theology classes, I will just say that it is better to start at the bottom and rise to the top on your own merits than to be placed at the top by acclamation and then fall to the bottom in shame.

There must be an applicable Kung Fu quote, but this is Monday.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

gamagin
11-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Since GU is a religious institution I am trying to think of an appropriate Biblical response but since I slept through most of my theology classes, I will just say that it is better to start at the bottom and rise to the top on your own merits than to be placed at the top by acclamation and then fall to the bottom in shame. There must be an applicable Kung Fu quote, but this is Monday. Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Observe thou that which I command thee this day: behold, I drive out before thee the Mississippi Valley State, and the Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne, and the Washington State, and the Wake Forest, and the Augastana, and the Oklahoma.

Goeth Zags !

hondo
11-09-2009, 02:53 PM
We don't need no stinking votes. Not now anyway.

Yon Zags have that lean and hungry look
Such teams are dangerous.

I don't want no stinking votes.

Baldwinzag
11-09-2009, 03:01 PM
NT

LynetteG
11-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Wow, I love love LOVE being the underdog!

UNDERDOG TO THE RESCUE!!!

DixieZag
11-09-2009, 03:02 PM
For some reason it still pisses us off, doesn't it? Now, imagine if you are MB or Steven or Sacre - - all have been here long enough to feel like we do, a bit slighted.

But they can use it to make a statement, that is why it is wonderful they are not ranked. Old school Zags, underdogs having a point to prove.

Baldwinzag
11-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Sure, I expected the pollsters to give us a bit more respect but these polls are meaningless. We lost 4/5 starters after last year. I don't care what team/program you are, that is difficult to bounce back from. Gonzaga is in a unique situation considering several of our "newcomers" are older(Kong & Harris are 20 yrs), coming of RS season(Gibbs & Poling), a starter coming off season-ending injury(Sacre), and several int'l stars as well(Manny, Olynyk, Harris). Not to mention, the best post-player in Minnesota and a former Kentucky PG recruit. Doesn't get much better than that. As we're well aware, we're are going to surprise some folks and make a serious push-this year. Do I think we can beat MSU on the road so early on? Not likely, IMO. However, I think we'll be more than competitive this season and beat most teams we face.

All that said, I'd love to have the opportunity to match-up vs. some of the teams receiving votes in this poll such as Northern Iowa, Clemson, Syracuse, UCLA, Ol' Miss, Dayton, etc. I think this young Zag team would smoke the aforementioned. :p

bullzag23
11-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Espn's first power polls are out...doesn't mean anything...but...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/powerranking?season=2010&week=1

Chill out a bit here, we've got the pollsters right where we want them, underestimating our resolve. There's a storm brewing in Eastern Washington as we speak....

Zagregious
11-09-2009, 03:27 PM
"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." -Matthew 19:30

Jesus was talking about ESPN Power Polls.......right?

JPtheBeasta
11-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Since GU is a religious institution I am trying to think of an appropriate Biblical response but since I slept through most of my theology classes, I will just say that it is better to start at the bottom and rise to the top on your own merits than to be placed at the top by acclamation and then fall to the bottom in shame.

There must be an applicable Kung Fu quote, but this is Monday.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

How about...

Matt 20:16 "So the last will be first, and the first will be last."

Matt 5:5 "Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth."

1 Corinthians 1:27 "Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?"

NotoriousZ
11-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Or a little Samuel 1:48-49

"As the Philistine moved closer to attack him, David ran quickly toward the battle line to meet him. Reaching into his bag and taking out a stone, he slung it and struck the Philistine on the forehead. The stone sank into his forehead, and he fell facedown on the ground."

I can't believe I haven't seen Hoosiers yet this year.

FuManShoes
11-09-2009, 04:50 PM
The team has 10 new players and only two of the returning guys have seen significant minutes and roles. I think that's the extent of what most pollsters know about the Zags.

MickMick
11-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Enjoy the ride.

What you are hearing now is the chain engaging on the roller coaster.

clikety clikety clikety clikety

willandi
11-09-2009, 05:49 PM
But they should know that Syracuse lost a meaningless game, at home, to a Div 2 team. If they can't comprehend that, then they should not be allowed to make any public comments.

Mantua
11-09-2009, 11:57 PM
For the first time Few has a Freshman class comparable to any elite program, (I'm thinking about Duke). The catch is that this class is way under the radar, which I think makes this year even better to savor. Even if it takes a couple months to get it together, this is going to be fun. I wouldn't trade any votes to for GU's position right now.

ZagsGoZags
11-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Journalist Ray Rotto of the SF Chronicle provides further evidence not only of being under the radar, but seemingly unimpressed with our general performance in the last several years ....

with this quote

The preseason Top 25s all agree that there is still a place for Butler and Dayton, two of the few hardy perennials from the non-power conferences, and Gonzaga, more vulnerable than it has been in years, is at the fringe.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/10/SP2S1AHK0B.DTL#ixzz0WUTIaEMC

Nevtelen
11-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Journalist Ray Rotto of the SF Chronicle provides further evidence not only of being under the radar, but seemingly unimpressed with our general performance in the last several years ....

with this quote

The preseason Top 25s all agree that there is still a place for Butler and Dayton, two of the few hardy perennials from the non-power conferences, and Gonzaga, more vulnerable than it has been in years, is at the fringe.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/10/SP2S1AHK0B.DTL#ixzz0WUTIaEMC

Not sure how that shows he isn't impressed by GU's recent performance. Good article, though - I hope enough sportswriters and media personalities keep harping on the continuing erosion of mid-majors being allowed into the big boys club and maybe the NCAA selection committee will do something about it (maybe). It gets more rediculous every year, IMO, as to which mid-majors are left out for which mediocre BCS teams that at one time looked like they might have thought about getting close to somewhere near the upper part of their conference.

ZagsGoZags
11-10-2009, 02:42 PM
'hardy perennials'

I can see where Butler can also be considered a hardy perennial, and I think of GU as one too

After this season I have a feeling we will be thought of us as a bona fide 'hardy perennial'

this year is so fun so far, everyone I know, almost, has a wonderful gut feeling about the Zags.