PDA

View Full Version : I Think It'll be an Inside-Outside Team

BobZag
11-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Going by the 50 points put on Texas by Sacre and Harris, combined with what Poling and Olynyk will bring to the table, it looks for all the world like the 2009-10 edition of the Zags will be an "inside first" team. The guards are excellent at feeding the post. It seems to make perfect sense that the ball will be pounded inside as the #1 option. Of course, this will open up the outside for the guards and wings as option #2.

I can easily see a balanced attack (frontcourt and backcourt), but I think we'll see much more feeding the big dogs than in recent years.

Kick-outs will be key. All Zag bigs need to be good at kicking out the ball.

Also, going inside to the bigs should put foul pressure on opponants, and that is important.

Agree? Disagree?

zagsmyboys
11-09-2009, 11:03 AM
I completely agree!! One thing though....they need to work on their free throws!! That is one of the thing that stands out to me most!! Like Coach Few said..."Free Throws are what win games".....and he is right.....

CDC84
11-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Absolutely agree. By pounding the ball down low, it will also free up shots for GU's three point shooters. I think that's important, because this year's Zag team isn't going to be as good from behind the arc as some of their other teams. They need to give their three point shooters some really good looks.

I can tell you this...MVSU first, but in that Michigan State game, expect to see Gonzaga pound the ball down low. MSU is likely going to be vulnerable in that area without Suton. Especially early on in the season.

GoZags
11-09-2009, 11:09 AM
What's interesting is the speed of our guards.

I don't think our bigs and wings can run with them -- thus necessitating more of a half court game if the quick stuff isn't there (but it will be occassionally).

Texas' guards could not keep Meech or GJ in front of them.

Feeding the post, and sharing the ball will be critical in '09/'10.

75Zag
11-09-2009, 11:16 AM
I hope BZ is correct. My training tip: put a shock collar on Sacre and zap him when he lowers the ball below his shoulders or, God forbid, tries to dribble.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

MDABE80
11-09-2009, 11:27 AM
I think it's what'll happen. Bigs are in development but the guards are better off that way. If these team does do "inside-outside" , one thing is key: Steven MUST sink threes. Matt'll be guarded fulltime. Meech has improved on his outside shooting but it'll be Steven that'll have to be returning to form. Manny's shooting will be improving since he works so hard but for now, he's not so accurat from LD.. One unknown might be Elias..who seems to be able to do everything needed. GZ's right too..few can run with Meech or GJ. I hope out own guards can keep up.

What to expect this year is stilll puzzling me. BZ's prediction is the most logical considering the talent Few has. I do hope we have the horses to make this work.

hockeyzag
11-09-2009, 11:29 AM

I don't remember anyone saying anything about this in the reports that we read. Did you get this information yourself or was there a report by someone that I missed. If this is true it's great news.

DixieZag
11-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Love Coach's comments on "Free throws win games" - - for whatever reason, or reasons as I am sure there are many, there is an undeniable tendency for international players (i.e. Canada/Europe) to shot free throws well. I hope this is the case as I have not seen this years team. But I know that MB shots FTs well, hopefully our bigs will also.:confused:

Kiddwell
11-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Let's not give up on Grant Gibbs presenting an outside threat. We'll get a hint to his shooting prowess this Saturday. If the Zags pound MVS (as Kiddwell expects), then starters & bench alike should earn a lot of court time.

By deep into the season a good guess is that "outside guys" Steven, Manny, Bol, Grant, and Matt will present pretty faithful shooting options (not talking about only dropping 3s).

One "inside game" fear: a rash of quick fouls putting Sacre, Poling, whoever on the bench.

:]

zagsmyboys
11-09-2009, 12:04 PM
I was actually at kraziness in the kennel...and I know it is nothing to "count on" but the guys just were not hitting their free throws! One that really worried me was Sacre. As good as he is on the court.....I am sure he will be fouled alot, and really needs to work on the line! Just Sayin.....of course listening to the fact that he scored 28 points against texas.....maybe i'm wrong...:D

GoZags
11-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by GoZags

I don't remember anyone saying anything about this in the reports that we read. Did you get this information yourself or was there a report by someone that I missed. If this is true it's great news.

I don't recall this being posted before either -- but it's from a very reliable source.

Nevtelen
11-09-2009, 12:25 PM
I was actually at kraziness in the kennel...and I know it is nothing to "count on" but the guys just were not hitting their free throws! One that really worried me was Sacre. As good as he is on the court.....I am sure he will be fouled alot, and really needs to work on the line! Just Sayin.....of course listening to the fact that he scored 28 points against texas.....maybe i'm wrong...:D

Last year's team did a very good job of shoring up their FTs as the season went on IMO. So hopefully this team will do the same.

GonzagaLove
11-09-2009, 01:10 PM
I agree with Kid. I can see a guy like Grant making teams pay who collapse on our inside players. Grant is my x-factor. Sacre can't get hurt.

NotoriousZ
11-09-2009, 01:51 PM
For a 7 footer, Sacre shoots free throws very well. It looked like Harris has good form from the line also. They'll be making the freebies more that a few times per game I think.

BobZag
11-09-2009, 03:53 PM
CDC alluded to it, but I'm not sure the Zags will be that good of an outside shooting team, so having a strong frontcourt could be paramount to this team's success. Sacre, Poling, Harris and Olynyk will need to deliver.

But there will be games Bouldin and other guards will be as well. But I do see the team being inside oriented...if the bigs can keep performing.

MickMick
11-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Free throw shooting is going to be huge this year.

BobZag
11-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Free throw shooting is going to be huge this year.

If pounding the ball inside is the primary gameplan, you are so right. One way to collect fouls is to go inside.

OZZY
11-09-2009, 05:35 PM
I see that KO will most likely play some time at PF, he could really take advantage of his body control and height to draw many fouls. I am very excited that he will be getting playing time in his freshman year. I guess that his willingness to bump and take contact alleviated some of their concerns about his frame and body development. The added bonus is having him play inside at times will also allow him to draw defenders and use his excellent passing game to set up the three for Gray et al.... He is a decent free throw shooter too.

Reborn
11-09-2009, 05:55 PM
It is certainly going to be great to have an inside attack in the low post. It's been a long time. Being able to score down low is essential to having a great offensive attack. Gonzaga had to do that with Matt and Jeremy for the last two years. It'll be nice to have good low post players. Rob and Elias have been bright spots early on, but it is early. I see a very balanced attack this year, and that is a KEY to winning. We are going to be able to score in many different ways it looks like. I think both Sacre and Harris will run the court with great speed. I am sure they got some transition buckets so far, including against Texas.