View Full Version : The 2009/10 College Basketball Season Begins Tonight

CDC84
11-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Boy, I tell you, it's starting out with a bang:

4pm PDT = Florida International at North Carolina; ESPNU
5pm PDT = Alcorn State at Ohio State; Big 10 Network
6pm PDT = Albany at Syracuse; ESPNU
8pm PDT = Murray State at Cal; ESPNU

Well, if Syracuse can lose to Le Moyne, maybe Albany can give them a game.

If you are interested in tuning into any of these games, the Murray State/Cal game is by far the most intriguing matchup. Murray State is picked by numerous sources to win the Ohio Valley Conference.

Seth Davis on why it has been so difficult to organize a real college basketball opening day with powerhouse matchups and such:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/seth_davis/11/08/opening.day/index.html

BTW = the best game of this entire week is probably going to be Creighton at Dayton on Saturday. Unfortunately, it isn't televised except locally.

Here are some opening games involving WCC teams (no national TV for any of these games that I am aware of):

Friday = LMU vs. Boise State, 4:35pm PDT (at Missoula, MT)
Friday = Cal Poly at USF, 7pm PDT
Friday = Santa Clara at Cal State Bakersfield, 7pm PDT
Friday = Stanford at San Diego, 7pm PDT
Friday = Pacific at Pepperdine, 7:30pm PDT
Friday = New Mexico State at St. Mary's, 8:30pm PDT
Saturday = Portland at Eastern Washington, 1pm PDT
Saturday = LMU vs. North Dakota, 4:35pm (at Missoula, MT)
Sunday = LMU vs. Montana, 2:05pm PDT (at Missoula, MT)

hondo
11-09-2009, 09:07 AM
We should get a pretty good look at LMU this weekend. They could be much improved.

ShipstadPilot11
11-09-2009, 10:21 AM
We are actually going to be playing IN Cheney on Saturday @ 1.

I'm glad the season is finally starting!

CDC84
11-09-2009, 10:30 AM
corrected.

BobZag
11-09-2009, 03:55 PM
So far these games are Blowout City.

SanDiegoZag
11-09-2009, 04:30 PM
I know UNC is just going against FIU, but Deon Thompson looks like he is ready to emerge and dominate within the ACC.

CDC84
11-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Really good game tonight between Murray State and Cal. The Golden Bears prevailed, but the Racers gave them all they could handle.

No team wants to face the Murray State Racers in their opening round game in the NCAA tournament. Lots of athleticism, depth and three point shooting ability. Very well coached. Murray State is one of the most underrated programs in the country. Over the last 6 seasons, the Racers are 127-62. That's a 67% winning percentage. That's not easy to do at the low major level when most of your non-league games are on the road against BCS teams.