PDA

View Full Version : Ran into Tony Bennett today

BobZag
04-12-2007, 10:37 AM
I was at a big medical facility and upon leaving I spotted him sitting by himself in the lobby so I went over, introduced myself and we had a real pleasant chat. I was wearing a Gonzaga cap. Told him who I was. I congratulated him and we both commented on how good the other's team was going to be next year. Tony is a very likeable, personable young man who represents WSU as well as anybody has. He was text-messaging when we met.

Anyway, he suggested WSU could very well withdraw from the Great Alaska Shootout, due to Gonzaga (possibly two games) being in it, too. He said they have a couple other options available, and mentioned how he'd like to play in Maui. Don't be surprised if Wazzu is not in the GAS, though.

That was the only info.

The rest of our brief talk was just introductory stuff. A real nice fella. I'm glad to have met him. I hope everything is well with he and his family.

CDC84
04-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Let's hope that the GAS organizers replace Wazzu with someone good if the Cougs decide to opt out.

lothar98zag
04-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Let's hope that the GAS organizers replace Wazzu with someone good if the Cougs decide to opt out.
agreed.

And I guess if potentially playing WSU twice in one season is no longer an option and the choice is now between 1) maybe playing WSU in Alaska and 2) playing WSU in K2...

...well, I think the choice is pretty obvious...

VinnyZag
04-12-2007, 11:09 AM
That makes a lot of sense for the Cougs, since Low's from Hawaii.
After Errol Knight's experience there a couple years ago, I'd recommend this to WSU: Don't go swimming.

youreachiteach
04-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Tony B is one of the good ones in this biz. A former NBA player whose so humble is unheard of. Did good things at Wisconsin and now the head man at Wash St. A true gentleman.

He might be getting a very good transfer this summer....

jhoop
04-12-2007, 06:55 PM
It's been real hard for me to maintain my mad for Coug basketball ever since Tony and his dad took over. I just finally gave up this year and decided to like them. I only pulled against them when they played the Zags. It's good for basketball in the region that Tony signed a long term contract especially after being named national coach of the year. I really thought he was gone. I think it says a lot about the guy and it was definitely a good move by the Cougs. Given the history of our two schools that goes back decades, it's a much more important rivalry IMO than the one with the Husky poultry. I hope the young Bennett doesn't disappoint us and pull out too.

sanfranzagsguy20
04-12-2007, 11:17 PM
http://media.knbr.com/knbr/0410bennett.mp3

good stuff from yesterday