PDA

View Full Version : Another UDUB transfer...

TR11Zag
04-12-2007, 06:08 AM
Phil Nelson is gone.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2003663242_umen12.html

Speculation is that he's headed to Portland State.

If we had a schoolie, would you welcome him here? (I understand that we don't have a schollarship)

thickman1
04-12-2007, 06:48 AM
Portland State? Seriously? :lmao:

Rubbadub
04-12-2007, 07:12 AM
If he's interested in more sg/sf playing time than he had been gettting, he definitely wouldn't look at GU any time soon, TR11.

PDXZag
04-12-2007, 07:20 AM
Hmmm, that's interesting. The article discussed playing time as a potential issue, but it seems to me, based on my very limited observerations of Phil Nelson, that he shouldn't have much of a problem competing for playing time. I know UW has a lot of talent on the perimeter next year and I've only seen Nelson play a few times, but I was generally impressed with him. It's not very often that you have a guy who is 6-7 who can shoot like he can from the perimeter (I know he struggled a bit towards the end of the season, but overall he's a good shooter). Stranged stuff, but I don't think its endemic of a major problem at UW. Sometimes players just don't fit at a particular school or a particular program. Maybe he's home sick. Who knows.

To answer your question, yes, I would want GU to pick up Nelson if we had a scholarship (assuming the coaches wanted him and felt he could fit into the system, etc.). It's hard to argue with a guy who is 6-7 and can shoot. He is also pretty athletic and will probably turn into a pretty solid defender. Just my 2 cents.

thickman1
04-12-2007, 07:21 AM
If he's interested in more sg/sf playing time than he had been gettting, he definitely wouldn't look at GU any time soon, TR11.

Exactly. The speculation in that article says that the logjam on the wing may have been a reason for his leaving. Seems like an unwillingness to compete to me but obviously that is just the opinion of an outside observer.

PilotNut
04-12-2007, 08:03 AM
Ken Bone, former UW Asst., is now the head coach of PSU (just completed his 2nd season)... probably why Nelson may be headed there.

My goodness, PSU is stacking up the transfers from other schools:

Jeremiah Dominguez, from Portland
Sean Smith, from Portland
Anthony Washington, from UW (graduating this year)
Alex Tiefenthaler, from Portland
Dupree Lucas, from Xavier
J.R. Moore, from Rhode Island (graduating this year)
Phil Nelson (maybe), from UW
5 guys from JC's (2 graduating this year)

This is a curious recruiting style; not one I am enamored with...

TR11Zag
04-12-2007, 08:11 AM
But I am interested in how we felt about him during his campus visit (according to Scout.com-which sucks, I know). I don't remember much discussion about him.

Was anybody crushed when we didn't sign him?

He did play well for his limited time at UW. I am surprised he left. I figured he would have seen 6th man minutes next year.

CDC84
04-12-2007, 08:47 AM
But I am interested in how we felt about him during his campus visit (according to Scout.com-which sucks, I know). I don't remember much discussion about him.

Unlike Bouldin and Deon Thompson, I am afraid "we" didn't think much about Mr. Nelson when he visited here with those two guys. One word comes to mind: headcase. It wouldn't surprise me if part of the reason he's leaving UW has to do with the UW people figuring this out for themselves. Moreover, for a guy that was touted as a brilliant shooter coming out of high school, Nelson has proven to be inconsistent....streaky at best. He only shot 29% from 3 ball land last season.

It all worked out in the end, because Gonzaga was able to get a better player in Micah Downs. UW has all sorts of wings that will be more than happy to pick up Nelson's minutes....

kyle dixon
04-12-2007, 09:13 AM
I may be mistaken, but after Nelson visited GU didn't he say something along the lines that he wouldn't consider GU due to Gonzaga not having a football team insinuating he was all about the BCS schools? I may be way off here though as it may be someone else. Can someone confirm.

ZagNut08
04-12-2007, 09:18 AM
yes, he did say something along the lines of "all they have is basketball."

at the time I wanted him, because I felt we needed another bouncy wing with a good stroke. But like CDC said, we ended up getting downs, who I would much rather have

batistafan
04-12-2007, 09:20 AM
I think he said something like "all they do there is play basketball." Good luck to him a PSU.

tenniszag
04-12-2007, 09:23 AM
I'm drawing a blank----the thread is "Another" UDUB player transfers--who else transfered?

hls97
04-12-2007, 09:36 AM
I'm drawing a blank----the thread is "Another" UDUB player transfers--who else transfered?

Historically, of course, Dan Dickau and Errol Knight.

TR11Zag
04-12-2007, 10:29 AM

Harvey Perry transfered to Idaho

sittingon50
04-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Hey, I'm sure Ken B. is part of the reason but as has been stated, ya' gotta' have football. With Jerry Glanville & Mouse Davis runnin' the PSU football show now they are certainly more of a football "destination" than ewe dub!:lmao:

BobZag
04-12-2007, 02:36 PM
I'd take him if I had a scholie to offer, unless he is a headcase with a low IQ. Dickau was a marginal player at UW before being an AA at GU.

Gonzdb8
04-12-2007, 05:03 PM
i was kinda surprised to see his numbers for the season were so low. i thought they'd be better even in limited minutes, especially the 3pt% which was somewhere around 25% as i recall. he most likely would have been buried on the bench at UW, so he probably made a good choice if his goal is to get more PT and be a little closer to home. choosing to transfer is a tough decision for any student, but even more so for a D1 athlete. i hope it goes well for him. best of luck to the guy.

EL MUSTACIO
04-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Im sure he is a quality player. Ill bet thats why he left. Same with Hawes. I'd leave too. Just gotta get outta there

UW
:lmao:
What a joke...